Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion Lounge LAX [upcoming?]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by upinsmoke
There is an area with comfortable chairs, carpeting, and I believe free Wi-Fi called "a little touch of the Centurion Lounge" in the TBIT at LAX. Now that TBIT has an airside bridge to T4, and that T4 has tunnels to T5 and T6, a substantial number of travelers could access an airside Centurion Lounge.
The walk from T6 to TBIT is pretty lengthy (15 minutes?). Does TBIT have Pre-check? Otherwise it would be difficult to find time to use a lounge in TBIT if departing from T6 unless you arrive ridiculously early. LAX would be an airport where Amex would need to site multiple lounges to create broad value, maybe one in TBIT and one in T6.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by seacarl
The walk from T6 to TBIT is pretty lengthy (15 minutes?). Does TBIT have Pre-check? Otherwise it would be difficult to find time to use a lounge in TBIT if departing from T6 unless you arrive ridiculously early. LAX would be an airport where Amex would need to site multiple lounges to create broad value, maybe one in TBIT and one in T6.
Remember though Amex doesn't necessarily need to operate multiple lounges of its own. Anyone with free access would also be eligible for a free Priority Pass membership, which provides access to the AC lounge in T2, the VX lounge in T3, the KE lounge in TBIT, and the AS lounge in T6. Plus cardholders flying on Delta have access to the T5 SkyClub. Aside from the overall quality of the Centurion lounges compared to others, the biggest advantage I can see of a Centurion Lounge compared to the others is the ability to bring in guests (and if that were that big an issue to Amex, they could always renegotiate their deal with Priority Pass, since Citi Prestige includes guest access to PP lounges).
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Remember though Amex doesn't necessarily need to operate multiple lounges of its own. Anyone with free access would also be eligible for a free Priority Pass membership, which provides access to the AC lounge in T2, the VX lounge in T3, the KE lounge in TBIT, and the AS lounge in T6. Plus cardholders flying on Delta have access to the T5 SkyClub. Aside from the overall quality of the Centurion lounges compared to others, the biggest advantage I can see of a Centurion Lounge compared to the others is the ability to bring in guests (and if that were that big an issue to Amex, they could always renegotiate their deal with Priority Pass, since Citi Prestige includes guest access to PP lounges).
Fair enough, although many Centurion Lounges are in locations with Priority Pass lounges. For example SEA has the Centurion studio, even though there are 5 Priority Pass lounges (2 Boardrooms, 2 the Club lounges, and I think the United Club is also a Priority Pass lounge at SEA.) LAS is pretty similar. IAH has the KLM Crown Room in the same terminal as the Centurion Lounge. So Amex isn't choosing locations based on non-presence of Priority Pass lounges,... else DEN needs to be at the top of the list for a Centurion Lounge.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
My point would be that if they want to be useful to cardholders in LAX there isn't any good way to do it in only one terminal, the distances are too long to make it practical. The same can be said at SFO where they really only useful to UA and *A pax.
I would not mind if LAX copied SFO and put a Centurion lounge in a T7 for UA. Then we'd be covered just about everywhere at LAX. And it would reduce the UC overcrowding. However as T7 is currently undergoing construction, if this wasn't included in the planning for that then it's rather doubtful it would happen.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:39 pm

Buy my point stands that presence or absence of Priority Pass lounges doesn't seem to factor in Amex's decision to locate Centurion Lounges. In fact, they seem to be going into the AA DL & UA hub cities. My point would be that if they want to be useful to cardholders in LAX there isn't any good way to do it in only one terminal, the distances are too long to make it practical. The same can be said at SFO where they really only useful to UA and *A pax.
Oh I agree, and it does feel like the Centurion Lounges are in part to make up for the loss of access to other domestic airline lounges (they used to have AAdmirals Club and US Airways Club access). My point though was that Amex doesn't need multiple Centurion Lounges at LAX just to provide coverage, since Priority Pass does that. Even without the Centurion Lounge, the only customers without airside access to a lounge are those flying Southwest from T1.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: UA1K
not really. SFO is only accessible via terminal G and the united concourse. so they do not have to have multiple one's set up. same with MIA.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:20 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

How about the shuttered United Club (former Presidents Club) space in T6?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of locations other than LAX moved:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...eculation.html
Old Dec 15, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
So still no news on the LAX location?

Maybe the plans for the space between T6 and 7 changed with the terminal shuffle going on next year?

Personally, I would prefer the Centurion LAX lounge to be located in TBIT so it is easy to access from T4. And there is a few spaces available in TBIT and soon another few spaces in TBIT MSC.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by bzcat
Personally, I would prefer the Centurion LAX lounge to be located in TBIT so it is easy to access from T4. And there is a few spaces available in TBIT and soon another few spaces in TBIT MSC.
TBIT and T4 customers already have access to the KAL Lounge in TBIT via Priority Pass. Though DFW has both the Centurion Lounge and The Club at DFW in Terminal D.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Although US Amex Platinum cardholders have Priority Pass membership, Centurion lounges are preferred by those traveling with family with their generous guest policy. PP lounges are often better for solo travelers, because there aren't kids running around everywhere. I have never seen the AC lounge (PP contract lounge) to be crowded.

The problem with LAX is that not all the terminals are connected airside and it can be a pain getting through security at some places depending on the time of day. It would be nice to have a Centurion lounge, but we shall see where they locate one.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:07 pm

seen this at TBIT today:
Old Dec 27, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Although US Amex Platinum cardholders have Priority Pass membership, Centurion lounges are preferred by those traveling with family with their generous guest policy. PP lounges are often better for solo travelers, because there aren't kids running around everywhere. I have never seen the AC lounge (PP contract lounge) to be crowded.

The problem with LAX is that not all the terminals are connected airside and it can be a pain getting through security at some places depending on the time of day. It would be nice to have a Centurion lounge, but we shall see where they locate one.
MIA and SFO are the same as LAX where the lounge is only beneficial to one terminal. if anything, makes more sense to have a lounge T4-T8 as opposed to T1-T3 as you will have UA, AS, and AA customers in those terminals. more access than T1-T3.

the old GFL or UC in T7 would be ideal, but anywhere between T4 and T8 would be great.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Oh I agree, and it does feel like the Centurion Lounges are in part to make up for the loss of access to other domestic airline lounges (they used to have AAdmirals Club and US Airways Club access). My point though was that Amex doesn't need multiple Centurion Lounges at LAX just to provide coverage, since Priority Pass does that. Even without the Centurion Lounge, the only customers without airside access to a lounge are those flying Southwest from T1.
WN has a shuttle bus airside between T1&T2 for international connecting customers. I don't have the latest details handy on my phone, but it is discussed in the WN forum.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
With all the crowding at airport lounges, it certainly doesn't hurt for Amex to add a lounge at LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.