Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum Benefit: Hilton Gold

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:31 pm

Despite the press release stating the opposite, this doesn't seem to be working for corporate platinum cards.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA: MM
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Hmm... this will throw a curve ball into whether I keep my Hilton Reserve card next year.
This.

Now I can save $95/yr by ditching the Citi Card. (One less thing to keep track of.) But I wonder how Starwood feels about this...

FWIW
DLM
Old Oct 18, 2015, 12:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dmunz
... I wonder how Starwood feels about this...
American Express issues co-branded card with both Hilton and Starwood. There are too many hotel chains for them to establish exclusive partnerships in the way that AA DL UA have only recently attempted. If Starwood finds a merger partner it may not matter.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is breakfast still a Gold benefit? It's not listed in the email from Amex that I just received.

Also, do you need to book directly through Hilton or a corporate travel agent in order to get the benefits. I'm pretty sure you don't get HHonors points for reservations via Orbitz, Hotels.com, etc. (or maybe that was just Priceline?), but can you get elite benefits?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Is breakfast still a Gold benefit? It's not listed in the email from Amex that I just received.

Also, do you need to book directly through Hilton or a corporate travel agent in order to get the benefits. I'm pretty sure you don't get HHonors points for reservations via Orbitz, Hotels.com, etc. (or maybe that was just Priceline?), but can you get elite benefits?
Continental breakfast is still a Gold benefit but you must select it in your HHonors account.

Hilton's official policy is that elite benefits are not extended to guests unless they book via Hilton. You may get lucky but it's not the norm. As far as I know, Hyatt is the only major chain that extends elite benefits no matter through which channel the stay was booked.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: UA: MM
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
Continental breakfast is still a Gold benefit but you must select it in your HHonors account.

Hilton's official policy is that elite benefits are not extended to guests unless they book via Hilton. You may get lucky but it's not the norm. As far as I know, Hyatt is the only major chain that extends elite benefits no matter through which channel the stay was booked.
Seriously?? I've never had an issue with any of the benefits and 90% of my booking is through corporate travel. Is that buried in the terms somewhere?

FWIW
DLM
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... in the terms somewhere?

On-property benefits are not awarded in the following circumstances:
  • Reservations booked through a non-Hilton Worldwide-direct booking channel or a non-designated GDS, third party website or any other channel,
  • Rates available on "opaque" websites where the hotel brand and specific hotel are not known until the booking is made, or
  • Third party hotel packages or travel packages not booked through one of the eligible channels.
http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/terms/index.html

I imagine your corporate travel agency uses a designated GDS and there is no problem, but there could be if using a consolidator such as Expedia or Priceline.

Last edited by mia; Oct 21, 2015 at 10:19 am
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Aphelion84
Despite the press release stating the opposite, this doesn't seem to be working for corporate platinum cards.
Yep, doesn't take my corporate plat either. Was gonna save on the Citi annual fee...
Old Oct 21, 2015, 11:52 am

Seriously?? I've never had an issue with any of the benefits and 90% of my booking is through corporate travel. Is that buried in the terms somewhere?

FWIW
DLM
This is common with most chains, including Accor.

My "interesting" personal experience with Accor was that I booked through Amex Platinum Travel Service. I was refused any Platinum benefits because I did not book with Accor directly. My Accor status came with my Amex Platinum card.

Old Oct 21, 2015, 1:06 pm

I think it depends on how your travel portal book the reservations. I selected Breakfast for Gold amenity and we book through our AMEX travel portal. They seem to be an authorized partner that gets Hilton direct booking equivalency. All my reservations are amendable via Hilton's website directly and have never been denied my benefits. Even free wifi which they say is only applicable to rooms booked directly with Hilton.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 4:10 pm

Does being gold prevent points from expiring? I debating just paying the 12.50 for 1000 points just to keep them active. mine are set to expire in Nov.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
This.

Now I can save $95/yr by ditching the Citi Card. (One less thing to keep track of.) But I wonder how Starwood feels about this...

FWIW
DLM
I wonder if SPG actually cares. They still get paid by Amex with each member who signs up for SPG Gold?
However I agree HHonors Gold is better than SPG Gold, because of breakfast and better chance of lounge access. I almost never got lounge as SPG Gold, while almost always with HHonors Gold.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
As far as I know, Hyatt is the only major chain that extends elite benefits no matter through which channel the stay was booked.
I'm pretty sure that Marriott does also.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Just to update in case anyone else is having issues... I called Amex again after waiting two weeks. The rep said there was nothing he could do to expedite it, but he'd resubmit the request to Hilton. I received a confirmation email congratulating me on earning Gold about 24 hours later. Status valid until 3/2017.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by dascc
Does being gold prevent points from expiring? I debating just paying the 12.50 for 1000 points just to keep them active. mine are set to expire in Nov.
After I registered for this Plat deal, I got a "Congratulations!" email from HH indicating that my expiration date is now 31 March 2017. Maybe that's my Gold status expiration date and not my points expiration date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.