Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum Benefit: Hilton Gold

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Even the no-annual-fee EveryDay card has a better earning rate than Platinum, thanks to offering double points at supermarkets and 20% bonus for using the card 20+ times per billing period. It seems like the high AF Platinum card ought to offer benefits equivalent to a baseline no-AF card, since Amex doesn't get multiple annual fees from people carrying both Platinum and EveryDay.
Yeah, it would be great if the Platinum earned 1.5x MR on all purchases. 2x on all purchases would be even better, but that would cannibalize the PRG too much.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, HHonors Diamond,
Worse for AMEX (maybe not if I'm in the minority), but my back up card isn't a PRG card or an Everyday Card, it's a CITI MasterCard and a Chase Visa. That's why I think they should incentivize us to use this card as opposed to thinking we would get another AMEX.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Anyone else having pretty long wait times? I enrolled Tuesday evening, so it's been over 48 hours now. I see reports of 24 hours or less on here, and a friend at work got his confirmation email in about 16 hours.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't stay in Hiltons generally, so this does not really affect me, but I do wish that Amex would be more global in its negotiations on benefits. It used to be a UK Platinum benefit but that disappeared around two years ago I think.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:08 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don't stay in Hiltons generally, so this does not really affect me, but I do wish that Amex would be more global in its negotiations on benefits. It used to be a UK Platinum benefit but that disappeared around two years ago I think.
Announced today that this benefit will be rolling out to Platinum Card members in other countries in the coming months:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...130000741.html
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Good news then!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:45 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Ugh...Great for all of you, but doesn't help much for this guy that spends between 60-62 nights/year with Hilton.

In other words, I'm a Diamond (highest tier, just above Gold for those that might not know)...But BARELY. This year I'm doing a 2-night mattress run at a Hampton 8 miles from my house to keep Diamond, spending $180 at said property for those 2 nights to get me to the requisite 60.

It is worth the $180 to me, but it would be nice if we maybe got some sort of night credit towards Diamond so I wouldn't have to sweat this every year.

I hate to say it, but it does devalue the program for us that get there the real way. (See some threads in the HH forum about lounge overcrowding, and Golds getting upgrades because they checked in first and Diamonds being left without said upgrades).
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:17 pm

I signed up for this the last time they offered this and my gold status never expired. That said, I had maybe 3-5 stays with Hilton over those years so it didn't really matter to me (or to Hilton).
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Anyone else having pretty long wait times? I enrolled Tuesday evening, so it's been over 48 hours now. I see reports of 24 hours or less on here, and a friend at work got his confirmation email in about 16 hours.
I still haven't received mine either.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by eeeee
I signed up for this the last time they offered this and my gold status never expired. That said, I had maybe 3-5 stays with Hilton over those years so it didn't really matter to me (or to Hilton).
All I really care about is the free breakfast. I did talk my way into a nice suite at the HGI Richmond Downtown (in the old Miller and Rhodes building for those who know RIC) on my wedding weekend. We got married a couple blocks away but had a room block at the Hilton Garden. I'm sure the complimentary Gold didn't hurt when I asked for that.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I hate to say it, but it does devalue the program for us that get there the real way. (See some threads in the HH forum about lounge overcrowding, and Golds getting upgrades because they checked in first and Diamonds being left without said upgrades).
Maybe things have changed since I was Diamond (or my travel patterns) but the only difference I experienced between that and Gold was getting breakfast AND points vs. one or the other. I got Gold through a fast track offer and then worked my way to Diamond on nights, so I earned my breakfast and points. No better luck on upgrades either as a Diamond. True upgrades in the US barely seem to exist, though oddly my best upgrade was at a Hampton Inn, not a full Hilton. I have complimentary Gold status via the Citi HH Reserve card, but now tend to stay most often at HI, DT, and other non full line properties that don't have lounges and those benefits.

To your point though it would be nice if they had a night/stay credit like the SPG Amex gives.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Visa Signature, SPG Gold
Got my gold upgrade inside of 24 hours.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
Called on Tuesday while I was on a stay with Hilton and when I checked out on Friday it showed Gold status on my bill!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Does anyone know what happens if I have enroll in this offer but my existing Gold is already good until March 2017? Do I get any additional time tacked on to the end?

Gold status has actually been hugely valuable for me. The free breakfast (not talking Hamptons/Embassy Suites/etc.) has been an awesome perk, especially in Europe and Asia (see: outside the US). I recall suite upgrades at Hilton Prague, and usually club level access (with option of breakfast there or full buffet breakfast spreads in the restaurant) in most properties... It seems most properties outside the US do a lot for Gold/Diamond members, at least above and beyond what the T&Cs say. It has sure saved my family and I lots of $$$ and made our travels easier (more convenient too). I would say the breakfast perk is definitely the perk that sets HH Gold apart from other mid-tier status levels. My SPG Gold status is nearly useless.

US properties are more stingy with benefits to Golds (there are so many so it's understandable).
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
My enrollment took 48 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.