Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted: MR (USA) to Starwood (SPG) 50% transfer bonus to 10/31/2015.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Targeted: MR (USA) to Starwood (SPG) 50% transfer bonus to 10/31/2015.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:42 am

Based on responses there seems to be no obvious rhyme or reason behind who gets targeted. If anyone figures it out, please post...
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:03 pm

Hey guys. I just checked and I was targeted for this bonus. I have 7 Amex cards including old blue cash, blue cash everyday, prg, business prg, delta gold, hilton honors, biz plat. I am not sure what made me targeted but wanted to list them for you all.

I had a question. I am very new to SPG. I have never used them before but I just signed up for an SPG account and currently have no SPG points. I do have a nice chunk of MR though. I am interested in taking a vacation to Hawaii (not sure exactly where in Hawaii yet) next year summer. It would be two adults and we would be flying out of ATL and staying about 6 days. Coach is fine, business class is optional. We would like to stay in a nice hotel (does not have to be super fancy). Would SPG points be beneficial to this Hawaii trip? Does anyone have any good redemption examples from previous trips?

I currently have a ton of AA miles and BA Avios. I have about 100k Southwest and 100k United. For hotels, I have 150k HHonors points, 150k Hyatt and 110k IHG.

I currently have 138k MR and just wondering if transferring some to SPG with the bonus would be helpful with planning a trip to Hawaii.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by missing_link
I have a personal Plat and SPG, not targeted.
Personal Plat & Biz SPG. Not targeted. Not that I'd be likely to transfer MR to SPG anyway.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:34 pm

so AMEX got back to me and they said that "SPG is supposed to post a 50% bonus and that it's on their end", which is definitely contrary to the screenshot levilevi posted. Looks like it's a specific set of plat/cent users that are targeted. And of course the "test transfer to see what happens that we'll be happy to reverse for you" is not being reversed so it's back to fighting AMEX some more...
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Tofe
Hey guys. I just checked and I was targeted for this bonus. I have 7 Amex cards including old blue cash, blue cash everyday, prg, business prg, delta gold, hilton honors, biz plat. I am not sure what made me targeted but wanted to list them for you all.

I had a question. I am very new to SPG. I have never used them before but I just signed up for an SPG account and currently have no SPG points. I do have a nice chunk of MR though. I am interested in taking a vacation to Hawaii (not sure exactly where in Hawaii yet) next year summer. It would be two adults and we would be flying out of ATL and staying about 6 days. Coach is fine, business class is optional. We would like to stay in a nice hotel (does not have to be super fancy). Would SPG points be beneficial to this Hawaii trip? Does anyone have any good redemption examples from previous trips?

I currently have a ton of AA miles and BA Avios. I have about 100k Southwest and 100k United. For hotels, I have 150k HHonors points, 150k Hyatt and 110k IHG.

I currently have 138k MR and just wondering if transferring some to SPG with the bonus would be helpful with planning a trip to Hawaii. worked great for us

Thanks in advance!
get the Fairmont cards for you and the wife and get four nights at Maui Fairmont, Hyatt cards for 4 nights at Maui or Kauai Hyatt.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
I hold business and personal platinum as well as biz/personal SPG. I'm still seeing 1000:333

Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I have personal plat, personal delta amex gold, personal spg amex, and personal blue amex. I was targeted, but don't plan on transferring.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
I got this offer, but it was hard to find. I had to start a transfer and then the offer showed up on the "transfer points to starwood" page.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:59 am

What is the value here? Just wondering since even with the bonus it doesn't feel like a good transfer option unless you want to top off to get to a 20K mark to then transfer back to an airline to get the add'l 5K?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by sfcaFLYER
What is the value here? Just wondering since even with the bonus it doesn't feel like a good transfer option unless you want to top off to get to a 20K mark to then transfer back to an airline to get the add'l 5K?
some premium properties at reasonable redemption rates. Westin St. John USVI for 12k points is a $500/night room that I use Starwood points for. I am sure there are many other similar or better values out there.

.04 + per starwood point or .02 per amex point (if you qualify for the bonus) is a good value.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: China Air Emerald, Skyteam Elite Plus, SPG Platinum
i got the offer though as others have mentioned i had to go to the membership rewards page and select hotel transfer to see it. I am Amex Platinum and SPG platinum for references
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL GM
I'm targeted, but the only thing I would like to use my pile of MR points for is DL miles. At 2:1 MR:SPG ratio, it doesn't make sense for me, even with the SPG-DL boost.

I wonder if they will EVER do a MR-DL bonus like they did back in 2011. I have been waiting for years.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Platinum and SPG credit card holder (both personal) here, not targeted best I can tell . Would be a big boost to the value of the Platinum card for me but I'm tempted to cancel it now.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I got the offer and have no SPG cards,

Morgan Stanley Plat
Morgan Stanley Black
HHonors
Blue for Business
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:12 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Originally Posted by Frinkiac7
I'm targeted, but the only thing I would like to use my pile of MR points for is DL miles. At 2:1 MR:SPG ratio, it doesn't make sense for me, even with the SPG-DL boost.

I wonder if they will EVER do a MR-DL bonus like they did back in 2011. I have been waiting for years.
Exactly what he said^

I was targeted (business cent). I recently canceled my SPG Amex after they did the changes to the program, though that doubt that had anything to do with it. Like Frinkiac7 I've been sitting on a mound of MR points for some time now, wanting to transfer to DL but that bonus never seems to materialize. I was all in on SPG for a little while but then found that Plat status there wasn't all I hoped it would be, so now I'm back down to Gold. I don't know that even at a 50% bump those starpoints are worth converting my MR points into at a 2:1 exchange rate. I generally value my MR points at 1.3 cents per and Starpoints at around 2 cents apiece (I do realize that sometimes great redemption values can be had, but over the years I've gotten tired of altering my travel plans based on where I'm going to maximize the return on those starpoints).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.