Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Everyday PREFERRED 30-50,000 point offers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
There is also an offer for the Everyday (Free) card discussed in THIS thread.

Please use this thread to discuss the OFFER. To learn about Everyday cards, please see the established thread:

American Express Everyday Cards
Print Wikipost

American Express Everyday PREFERRED 30-50,000 point offers.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by OnlyOne
Should I go ahead and apply for the 30k offer or wait to see if the 50k offer rolls out to more people? I'd hate to miss out by waiting, but I don't have an RSVP code for the best offer.
I'm debating the same thing (I was able to get 30k to show up with VPN / Incognito). 50k sure would be nice, but considering the usual offer is 15k, it seems 50k may be hard to actually get?

Some people talk about getting the offers on the grey market - but I have no idea what that means...?

--Kyle
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator explanation

Originally Posted by kyamnitz
...grey market - but I have no idea what that means...?
It means that someone who has received a targeted offer which she will not use offers to sell it someone else who has not yet been targeted. Note that such offers cannot be offered or sold on Flyertalk.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:15 am

All MR points equal? Means points earned with Everyday card vs. platinum card are the same value? Do I need to have one Platinum or Gold card to transfer points to Airlines? I want to close my platinum and gold cards due to AF and get this everyday card. Will all my accumulated points still be able to transfer to any airline when I need it in future?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by jasmians
All MR points equal? Means points earned with Everyday card vs. platinum card are the same value? Do I need to have one Platinum or Gold card to transfer points to Airlines? I want to close my platinum and gold cards due to AF and get this everyday card. Will all my accumulated points still be able to transfer to any airline when I need it in future?
Yes, the Everyday cards earn the same MR points as the Platinum and Gold cards and can be transferred to airline partners. When closing your Plat & Gold cards, make sure you have at least one other MR-earning card (such as the Everyday or Everyday Preferred) and points earned on your Plat/Gold will remain in your MR account.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... points earned with Everyday card vs. platinum card are the same value?
Yes. See early posts in the primary thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...day-cards.html
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All MR points equal?
No. Not all MR points are equal if they go by slightly different names (Membership Rewards Options, Membership Rewards Express, etc).

Means points earned with Everyday card vs. platinum card are the same value?
No, it doesn't mean that. There are way more Amex cards with some kind of MR than just Everyday and Platinum and Gold. If you still have a Blue, it is not the same value.

Specifically for Everyday and Platinum and Gold, they are the same value.

Do I need to have one Platinum or Gold card to transfer points to Airlines?
No, Everyday is enough.

I want to close my platinum and gold cards due to AF and get this everyday card.
Not in that order! Get the Everyday card first, and only then close (the last of) those other cards. You don't want to have a period where you have no Membership Rewards card and lose your existing MR points.

Will all my accumulated points still be able to transfer to any airline when I need it in future?
That requires predicting the future.

IIRC, many many years ago there used to be another no-AF card that allowed transferring to airlines for a short while, but then Membership Rewards Options was created, and that ended.

So all we can say is that Everyday has no AF and allows transferring today. Whether Amex will keep it that way "forever" this time, I don't think anyone can promise. (Especially since the competition hasn't followed: You still need a card with AF to transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points, and you still need a card with AF to transfer Citi Thank You points.)

OTOH, I'm pretty sure if Amex ever decides to change the transferability of the no-AF Everyday card, there would be some notice given, and you'd have enough time to adapt.
Old May 7, 2016, 7:56 pm

Finally got the 30k EDP offer to show up. Applied and approved.
Old May 7, 2016, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by exarkun
Finally got the 30k EDP offer to show up. Applied and approved.
Yup visiting via incognito will usually pull it up, and the other trick
Old May 8, 2016, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Yup visiting via incognito will usually pull it up, and the other trick
i literally tried hundreds of times.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: OWE
the Amex EveryDay Preferred Credit Card is coming up in chrome incognito with 30k offer after 2k spend. offer came up first try in chrome incog.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...yday-preferred
Old May 18, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
Originally Posted by runb4fun
This card looks good enough to be a keeper
you may want to check your math. when you count the supermarket bonus, AF, monthly bonus points, min spend to get the bonus, and hypothetical 2% cashback - ED earns MR points at 0.45 cpp (cent per point), and EDP at 0.51 cpp. i.e. ED is the one to keep going forward after bonus is collected. In fact, EDP is "the most expensive" card from the sextet of amex plat (with 100K bonus), gold, green, PRG, ED and EDP.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by tonykline1947
you may want to check your math. when you count the supermarket bonus, AF, monthly bonus points, min spend to get the bonus, and hypothetical 2% cashback - ED earns MR points at 0.45 cpp (cent per point), and EDP at 0.51 cpp. i.e. ED is the one to keep going forward after bonus is collected. In fact, EDP is "the most expensive" card from the sextet of amex plat (with 100K bonus), gold, green, PRG, ED and EDP.
Just curious. Did you do the math on that or have a link to share? I'm not disagreeing with it - I'd just like to see to understand it better. I personally spend a lot on groceries (I cook most meals and eat healthy, which means high grocery expense). But having said that, I think the ED may be better for me long term (and I really don't like annual fees).

I have the EDP, but I'm not sure how I'd go about getting the ED. Would I have to cancel the EDP first? Or are people able to get both?

I imagine I could downgrade? But then I'm missing out on the signup bonus points opportunity. Thanks,
--Kyle
Old May 23, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
Originally Posted by kyamnitz
I think the ED may be better for me long term (and I really don't like annual fees).
--Kyle
this is my math. EDP becomes better card after 8-9 years or so

Old May 23, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
You're only looking at the cost per point on grocery spend. This ignores that {1} EDP is superior at gas (3x) and non-bonused spend (1.5x) and {2} though the cumulative cost per point in your analysis is higher for a while, you're still earning almost twice as many MR with the EDP.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by dukerau
You're only looking at the cost per point on grocery spend. This ignores that {1} EDP is superior at gas (3x) and non-bonused spend (1.5x) and {2} though the cumulative cost per point in your analysis is higher for a while, you're still earning almost twice as many MR with the EDP.
I was going to state that as well. And that non-bonus purchases still will go up as well, right? So a purchase at a clothing store, for example, is at 1.5X instead of 1X if you meet the 30 charges in a month.

But looking at the grocery part alone, this is how I figure it (granted, more simplistic):
*If* I maxed out the grocery spend at $6,000 on either card, using the 20% and 50% bonuses and value the points at a relatively low 1.5 cents each (typically valued at ~1 cents each, right?):
ED: 2X * 1.2 = 2.4X * $6,000 = 14,400 points * $0.015 = $216.
EDP: 3X * 1.5 = 4.5X * $6,000 = 27,000 points * $0.015 = $405.
So on groceries ALONE, I earned $189 more with the EDP. Subtract the $95 annual fee, and I earned $94 more for having the EDP.

And that's not including the gas bonus or .5X bonus on all other purchases. If I put just $5,000 in non-bonus expenses on the card, that's 2,500 extra points over a 1X card; another ~$40.

At least, that's how I look at it. Thanks,
--Kyle

Note: The question is whether I'd actually spend $6k in groceries, always get the 30 purchases for the bonus value, and if I'd actually use the card that much in a year if I'm chasing other credit card bonuses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.