Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Everyday PREFERRED 30-50,000 point offers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
There is also an offer for the Everyday (Free) card discussed in THIS thread.

Please use this thread to discuss the OFFER. To learn about Everyday cards, please see the established thread:

American Express Everyday Cards
Print Wikipost

American Express Everyday PREFERRED 30-50,000 point offers.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by HansDKNY
I pasted the link above into Chrome incognito(I use a Mac) and on my first try was offered the following: "Special Offer For You
Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® Points
after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months."
Was the offer for "Everyday" or "Everyday Preferred"? 25k is the highest we have seen for Everyday Amex.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Miles+, AAdvantage, Skymiles
Originally Posted by ninim2200
Was the offer for "Everyday" or "Everyday Preferred"? 25k is the highest we have seen for Everyday Amex.
Everyday Amex Preferred.
I also pasted the link for the Amex Everyday and was offered 15K MR points instead of the usual 10K, fee free. I was approved for this one today with the Amex rep confirming the 15K offer.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:20 am

So I applied for the ED Preferred yesterday, and late last night received a link to check the application status only to find the card wasn't even listed. However the regular ED shows that I was approved recently as well as the Platinum. Tried chatting with them but they just want me to call. Lines aren't open yet. Should I wait a little longer? Should I call?

So I have my question answered that will hopefully be beneficial to you guys as well. I called and they explained that you can not have 2 or more cards of the same family. Meaning you can't have the ED and EDP, nor can you have the 2 Golds etc.. Kinda sucks because I was hoping to get the bonus points for both cards but oh well beggars can't be choosers. They said I can cancel the card or wait a year to upgrade, I would rather wait a year then to take a negative hit on my credit.

Last edited by rjruiz; Mar 16, 2018 at 6:42 am Reason: UPDATE
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rjruiz
.... they explained that you can not have 2 or more cards of the same family. Meaning you can't have the ED and EDP,...
Unless it is a very recent change, this isn't accurate. If you review this thread you will see that many people held both Everyday Free and Preferred simultaneously. However, it is true that if you apply too soon for the second card the system will misidentify it as a duplicate.
sdsearch and rjruiz like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Unless it is a very recent change, this isn't accurate. If you review this thread you will see that many people held both Everyday Free and Preferred simultaneously. However, it is true that if you apply too soon for the second card the system will misidentify it as a duplicate.
Okay, in that case I'm going to wait until I get the bonus points and apply again for the Preferred.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:07 pm
mia

Okay, in that case I'm going to wait until I get the bonus points and apply again for the Preferred.
The bonus points for Everyday Free?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The bonus points for Everyday Free?
Yep.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:54 am
mia

I would wait a year to apply for Everyday Preferred.
sdsearch and rjruiz like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you want to get denied again?

That's still not long enough! The people who succeed at getting both cards wait about a year between them.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
So you want to get denied again?

That's still not long enough! The people who succeed at getting both cards wait about a year between them.
I didn't know that. So I'll wait for a year, no biggie.

Last edited by rjruiz; Mar 17, 2018 at 12:09 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:06 pm
mia

How am I supposed to know that?...
Look at it this way, why would you need both cards? Everyday Free offers a subset of Everyday Preferred's features., no one really needs both. American Express isn't in the business of trading rewards for applications, they offer the new account bonuses as an incentive for us to open accounts and use them "everyday".

If we want to game the system we need to figure out how their system works, see what it will let us do, even when it isn't what they intend. They will let you apply for both, but the anecdotal evidence is that the applications need to be separated by a long stretch of time.

Much of the value of this forum comes from exploring the differences between American Express policy (what they told you), and practice (what you can do if you are patient).
rjruiz likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:39 pm

I'm just interested in the sign up bonus points from the ED Preferred and maybe there's a downgrade path from there?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
What’s the purpose of doing both ED and EDP? To get an extra 0.9 points/$ (2.4x vs 1.5x) in groceries once past $6000?

I find the 20 transactions vs 30 transactions to be virtually no difference. If you need an extra 10 transactions, just go to the grocery store and buy 10 bananas one by one 😁
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
What’s the purpose of doing both ED and EDP? To get an extra 0.9 points/$ (2.4x vs 1.5x) in groceries once past $6000?

I find the 20 transactions vs 30 transactions to be virtually no difference. If you need an extra 10 transactions, just go to the grocery store and buy 10 bananas one by one 😁
Mainly for the sign-up bonuses from both cards.

There maybe certain people that like buying bananas one by one, nothing wrong with that.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
I could never eat that many bananas before the spoil. I j already just get 1 at a time.

IME 30 might not be much harder than 20 in a full month, but it's trickier in a half month / one-third month / whatever, like this one, where coming April 1 Chase Freedom gives 5x UR points at grocery stores for 3 months so I'm shifting to that, but I have a short billing cycle with Amex Everyday no-AF before that, and still I'll have to do a few small purchases on the ED in April. And that's already after splitting my normal shopping so I only buy one item per store visit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.