Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Demise of the American Express Card?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by stimpy
Hardly seems done to me either. Seems like a troll post.

https://www.google.fr/search?q=amex+...m=119&ie=UTF-8
Yes, that's this particular user's MO. I've learned to just ignore him/her in threads--it's all nonsense about how poorly Amex is doing. I assume s/he works for Visa.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
When I am abroad, for some reason anything AMEX gold or higher is regarded as a "high end card". Maybe people see the word gold and get excited
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by snic
At the moment I'm saving up for a few Suites class redemptions on Singapore Airlines. The retail value is $10,000+ per ticket. I can't really put a cents-per-point value on MR points because I'd never pay that much in cash for a ticket. But that is part of what makes these points valuable: for the cost of an economy class ticket (or perhaps a bit more, if one factors in the opportunity cost of lost cash back, various annual fees that have to be paid, SQ's exorbitant "fuel surcharges," etc), my family and I can have a blast getting to our next vacation destination, rather than 20+ hours of coach class misery.

So, Amex is happy because I'm using their card, I'm happy because I get an experience I can't otherwise afford, and SQ is happy because Amex buys me some KrisFlyer points. Seems like a triple win. Just one example of how Amex's broad range of cards can attract all sorts of people.
Krisflyer miles are among the easiest to accrue. I would earn and burn lowly citi miles then waste AMEX miles.

I wish ANA didn't take away their generous stopover programs or that would be the sole program I'd ever transfer to.

And usually there is 1 or at max 2 suite awards available, so I don't know how you are going to fit your whole family up front.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:04 am

I think AMEX has gone way down. For the first time in years, we no longer use, or have, an AMEX card for our daily spending. In the last 5 years, we spent around 5-7k a month on either the Gold Premiere or Platinum. We've seen the benefits go down, significantly, while the costs remain the same. We said goodbye to the Gold Card when they got rid of the 15k extra points. Since Delta was no longer offering any bonuses, the card was no longer competitive. The Platinum is still nice, but we dump it when we aren't planning to travel much. Just no advantage to holding an expensive card. We would have kept it if they offered the same points program as the Premiere Gold.

We have been spending everything on the Arrival Plus card and have been quite happy. We spent a month in Paris and it has no foreign exchange fees as well as being more widely accepted (and it is chip AND pin). The rewards program ends up being 2.2 cents per dollar spent, so it is pretty good.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Jelly of the month club
Same here carzin; similar level as spending as you now all on the Chase SP card with it's generous bonuses, greater acceptance in Europe and primary rental insurance. I love when I call customer service I'm straight through to a human.

Still keep the Platinum for lounge access, SPG Gold, Costco and high value electronics purchases for the warranty. Once a year I'll book a nice restaurant through the concierge and they always come through. I wonder if Amex make enough from the card fee for the membership to be profitable without swipe fees?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
So I haven't been a AMX cardholder long. I just got my 1st AMX this month (Platinum). I have held many cards and I finally pulled the trigger on the Plat. due to the MR offer and some of the benefits that still outweigh the annual fee.

Upon arrival I immediately got PP set up, Emerald Club (then had Hertz status match to Five Diamond), applied for Global Entry and even took advantage of a few of the Sync offers (Whole Foods spend $50 get 1k MRs). I am going to take advantage of the Centurion clubs a few times this year with travel to Vegas.

Where I do think the AMX lacks is actually against my Chase Sapphire Preferred in Primary Rental coverage. I know many people might think I'm crazy for thinking this is a priority, but I was hit in my rental car last year by an uninsured driver. The damage was over $3k and my CSP card benefit covered the entire cost with no hassle.

Will this AMX Platinum be my "primary" card, no. Is it beneficial for me to keep it, yes, IMO.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Krisflyer miles are among the easiest to accrue. I would earn and burn lowly citi miles then waste AMEX miles.
Sure, except that there is no Citi card (that I'm aware of) that gives you more than 1 point for purchases that fall outside the bonus categories. So, I actually AM accumulating Citi points, but for all spend that doesn't earn a bonus, I use an Amex Everday, which gets me an extra 0.2 points per dollar. (I should probably get an Everyday Preferred, which nets an extra 0.5 point.)

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
And usually there is 1 or at max 2 suite awards available, so I don't know how you are going to fit your whole family up front.
We might not be able to travel on the same day. There are 3 of us, and if one of us travels a day or two after the other 2 leave, that will be fine. In fact, the plan is to try to get to Australia, and there is lots of availability in business class (and sometimes even Suites) SIN-Australia. So one way to do it will be that two of us will have a stopover in SIN of a day or two, while the third leaves later and joins the other two in SIN before we board the plane to SYD or wherever.

So, all that's required is 2 Suites awards available within 1 or 2 days of 1 Suite award (and repeat on the return). This is not impossible - and with SQ's waitlisting, it may even be possible for all of us to travel together!
Old Sep 26, 2015, 11:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Sure, except that there is no Citi card (that I'm aware of) that gives you more than 1 point for purchases that fall outside the bonus categories.
There is a 15% Relationship Bonus for spend on the Prestige card if you open a Citigold account.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 2:57 pm

25% on Prestige for Private Bank.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:30 pm

Sure, except that there is no Citi card (that I'm aware of) that gives you more than 1 point for purchases that fall outside the bonus categories. So, I actually AM accumulating Citi points, but for all spend that doesn't earn a bonus, I use an Amex Everday, which gets me an extra 0.2 points per dollar. (I should probably get an Everyday Preferred, which nets an extra 0.5 point.)

We might not be able to travel on the same day. There are 3 of us, and if one of us travels a day or two after the other 2 leave, that will be fine. In fact, the plan is to try to get to Australia, and there is lots of availability in business class (and sometimes even Suites) SIN-Australia. So one way to do it will be that two of us will have a stopover in SIN of a day or two, while the third leaves later and joins the other two in SIN before we board the plane to SYD or wherever.

So, all that's required is 2 Suites awards available within 1 or 2 days of 1 Suite award (and repeat on the return). This is not impossible - and with SQ's waitlisting, it may even be possible for all of us to travel together!
Churning is still alive over at citi but yes good plan for SQ. Last minute does work, although it takes some guts. (I'm banking on it for my next trip, or start looking at some extra "hotel fees" per day that is delayed.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
I am using AMEX more and more and keeping my AMEX cards (and just got a new one last week) and letting go of other company's cards. I earn hundreds of dollars every year in cashback and special offers (despite being single and retired with low spend). Other companies can't touch what AMEX is giving me.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:52 pm

I'm still a fan! I was disappointed when they introduced non-US call centers on some of higher-end products. I rarely call, but when I do I always ask to speak to someone in the US, and they almost always comply.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 4:28 pm

They still have that valuable niche. Who says they don't? There's no reason - none at all - why a company can't occupy one niche and compete for access to others. @:-)
Lots of examples. Samsung-tries doing high-end and low-end. Coach-no longer a luxury brand in the US. Many automakers have a different "brand" for high-end and low-end (Toyota and Lexus) but the Germans seem able to do both (I guess that begs the question whether 30k for a car is low-end. Apparently in Germany though a Benz is anything special and there are cheap cars there)
Old Sep 26, 2015, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by pugsley21
Where I do think the AMX lacks is actually against my Chase Sapphire Preferred in Primary Rental coverage. I know many people might think I'm crazy for thinking this is a priority, but I was hit in my rental car last year by an uninsured driver. The damage was over $3k and my CSP card benefit covered the entire cost with no hassle.
You can sign up for Amex's extra car rental insurance, something like $20 per rental.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Lots of examples. Samsung-tries doing high-end and low-end. Coach-no longer a luxury brand in the US. Many automakers have a different "brand" for high-end and low-end (Toyota and Lexus) but the Germans seem able to do both (I guess that begs the question whether 30k for a car is low-end. Apparently in Germany though a Benz is anything special and there are cheap cars there)
Your point is valid, though in Germany: VW->Audi->Bugatti; and in Italy: Fiat->Alfa Romeo->Maserati->Ferrari. Etc.

Plenty of companies are able to occupy various positions in a market, as you point out. I think Amex has done it somewhat successfully in the past, especially when they introduced Blue. Though I would agree that the waters are a bit muddied these days, not just with Amex, but across the board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.