Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Plat: Avis benefit diminished?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
AMEX Plat: Avis benefit diminished?

Avis launched a new loyalty program on July 1, 2015 - AMEX Platinum holders are no longer elevated to the previous 'preferred plus' status, we stay at the 'preferred member' status that everyone has until the accumulate 12 rentals or $5k spend within the calendar year

The AMEX PLAT discount code also expires 9/30/2015

The benefits description has been updated on AMEX website - now reads:

Avis Preferred®
Stored rental preferences on file
When arriving at Avis, you can skip the line and paperwork and go straight to your car at over 1,400 locations
Courtesy bus will drop you off by one of our newest cars, or you'll find it in a convenient park space
A copy of the Wall Street Journal will be in your car at major U.S. airports
When enrolled in Preferred Service online, you will automatically be enrolled in My Avis – the personal service dedicated to enhancing your online Avis experience
Customers will receive up to a 25% discount when using AWD# A756900 and a one level upgrade when using Coupon # UUNA007. Discount is valid on all rentals checked out no later than September 30, 2015.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Are you sure?

I was Avis First because of the Citi Prestige, and now I'm Preferred Plus. (I never did use the Amex Plat since I was planning to cancel it.) My understanding is that this was a straight one-for-one switch-over.

So let's cut to the chase. Were you First before July1 via the Amex Plat, yes or no?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Are you sure?

I was Avis First because of the Citi Prestige, and now I'm Preferred Plus. (I never did use the Amex Plat since I was planning to cancel it.) My understanding is that this was a straight one-for-one switch-over.

So let's cut to the chase. Were you First before July1 via the Amex Plat, yes or no?
The AMEX Plat didn't give me FIRST - only the middle tier
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Amex Plat only ever gave Preferred status.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
Ok - I misunderstood it then ... I had been using the Hertz and National benefits - which are good

The AMEX PLAT discount code does expire at the end of the summer - I hope they increase the benefit or at least extend the discount code ... I'll be preferred plus or PC by then based on rentals
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Is this only US? See from Amex site in UK that it still applies here.

Edit: I see now that the UK site always was Preferred
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:43 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Has the Cent benefit of Avis President's club has also been impacted?
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes
It makes no sense at all for Amex to "give" Avis Preferred status. Avis Preferred is a free status. All you have to do to get it is sign up on the Avis website! (And then visit the counter once on your first rental after you sign up, just to validate everything in person.) No other requirements!!!

What's the benefit of getting it from an expensive card versus just signing up for it???

And Avis First was definitely a benefit of MasterCard "World Elite" cards, which can be had for a lot lower annual fee than Amex Plat.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 4, 2015 at 6:33 am Reason: fixed typo
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Amex Plat has its users enrolled in Avis Preferred. Their discount code AWD# A756900 is competitive on Avis rental rates. The best deal with the Plat code is the extra discount you receive on PAY NOW rates.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:59 pm

For me that all spells a bit of a disconnect. Avis Preferred, as already noted above, is free to all comers. You don't need any special card. As also noted above, any World Elite Master Card (I used the Prestige) will at least give you the next tier up, namely Avis Preferred Plus (f/k/a Avis First); and also National Executive status.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:59 pm

Yes, Amex enrolls you in three programs all of which you may sign up for on your own at no cost: Avis Preferred, National Exec, and Hertz Gold Plus Rewards.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:01 pm

To repeat, National Exec is actually one tier up from the base Emerald Club; it's only the latter that's free to all comers.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
To repeat, National Exec is actually one tier up from the base Emerald Club; it's only the latter that's free to all comers.
It's getting hard to keep straight. Nat'l Exec courtesy Citi Prestige.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:45 am

Which is yet another reason why I've gotten the Prestige and I'm cancelling the Amex Plat. Other reasons include net cost ($100 versus $250), Admirals Club access (I'm an AA hub captive), bonus categories (air/hotel = 3x), and lounge guesting privileges (both AA and Priority Pass). Oh, and my chosen Amex points use is Avios, and that just got devalued from -- I kid you not -- 1.4x down to 0.8x. Against all that, there are the Centurion Clubs. Great.

But I'm not bitter.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
And Avis First was definitely a benefit of MasterCard "World Elite" cards, which can be had for a lot lower annual fee than Amex Plat.
Not a universal "standard offer" of the World Elite MC, maybe with some issuers only - e.g., USA cardholders.

My World Elite MC does not have such a feature.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jul 9, 2015 at 8:21 am Reason: Clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.