Delta Reserve vs Amex Platinum Credit Card?

Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Delta Reserve vs Amex Platinum Credit Card?

Hi,

I know this topic has been discussed at length, but I'm for some help clarifying which is the better credit card for my situation. Currently I have the 'Platinum Delta SkyMiles' credit card from American Express ($195/yr), but I'm looking to switch to either the Delta Reserve or American Express which are both around $450/yr. Here are my details:

- I live in Atlanta and try to fly Delta at all times
- I fly approximately 1 to 2 times per month for work using Delta
- I currently have 'Gold' medallion status (this status is great as I have the ability to change flights, etc with little of no charge)
- **** I have been able to achieve 'Gold' status by spending $50,000/yr on my card

I'm looking to possibly change because of the added benefits, but mostly for airport lounge access.

My question is, since I want to collect as many miles (whether these be Skymiles or other airline miles) as possible for personal travel (which I like to travel) and I want to have access to the 'lounges', which is the better card?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:31 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

If you qualify for Gold Medallion status, even in part, through spending, rather than through flying, you need to make that spending on a SkyMiles credit card.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

So in my case, it looks like the 'Reserve' card is probably best as I believe it has similar yearly spending amounts for Medallion status, even though the lounge access is not as good as the AMEX Platinum card.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:44 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gil_happy
... I believe it has similar yearly spending amounts for Medallion status,....
I am not a Delta flyer, and do not know the specifics, but you can easily research that aspect in FlyerTalk's Delta forum. For example, there's some relevant discussion in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...erve-card.html
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
In your situation, the Reserve is probably the best bet. There's no centurion lounge at ATL, and unless you frequently fly to airports that have one, the extra lounge benefits carried by the Platinum wouldn't mean a lot to you. If you are reliant on the MQD waiver and MQM booster to achieve status, that pretty much seals your choice. For the booster, it's 30K for 15K MQM with the Reserve vs 25K for 10K MQM.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.... unfortunately is looks like the Reserve card is the one for me based upon my spending / travel habits. I was hoping the Platinum card would be better because of the lounge access, etc.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WWads
In your situation, the Reserve is probably the best bet. There's no centurion lounge at ATL, and unless you frequently fly to airports that have one, the extra lounge benefits carried by the Platinum wouldn't mean a lot to you. If you are reliant on the MQD waiver and MQM booster to achieve status, that pretty much seals your choice. For the booster, it's 30K for 15K MQM with the Reserve vs 25K for 10K MQM.
However, The Club at ATL is a PP lounge.

IMO it would help to know more about the OP's travel patterns (all domestic?) and type of hotels used (FHR properties in the mix?). My instinct would be to agree with the advice to go with the Reserve card, but it's not clear.

Should we assume that both is not an option for the OP?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Hi, all of my travel is domestic (occasional trip to Canada) and my preferred hotel of choice is Marriott, then Hilton.

Thanks
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I'm in the same boat. Also out of Atl, mostly domestic travel. Leaning towards the Reserve card. I don't think I can spend that much on the card per year.
How do people charge that much? Do they pay everything with the card? Mortgage, auto, Ins, etc I guess. Most times you get charged a fee with paying with CC.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:21 am

Also there's the companion certificate you get every year upon renewal on the reserve card.

I have the reserve card and really like it for the reasons outlined above and the cert.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eddie98
I'm in the same boat. Also out of Atl, mostly domestic travel. Leaning towards the Reserve card. I don't think I can spend that much on the card per year.
How do people charge that much? Do they pay everything with the card? Mortgage, auto, Ins, etc I guess. Most times you get charged a fee with paying with CC.
For me, luckily I had many purchases for work, e.g. supplies, trips, etc. Of course as you mentioned, I do try to make every single purchase through my AMEX, but I will not use if I'm charged a surcharge just for the sake of using it (like mortgage company).
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:33 am

I'm ready to upgrade. I need to see if they any sign up offers.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by Eddie98
Originally Posted by gil_happy
For me, luckily I had many purchases for work, e.g. supplies, trips, etc. Of course as you mentioned, I do try to make every single purchase through my AMEX, but I will not use if I'm charged a surcharge just for the sake of using it (like mortgage company).
Agreed, you must put everything on the card that you possibly can. For example, your insurance payments: Paying your policies in full is helpful for me as well, as my insurer charges an installment fee for paying by the month which I don't find to be worth it. I have also paid tax bills with the AMEX where it was accepted. I don't have the advantage of using mine for work expenses since I have to use my Corporate card. You don't have to automatically shy away from this just because there is a fee involved. You just have to run the numbers to ensure that the fee is less than or equal to any return you are getting. I've historically redeemed Skymiles at a minimum of 3 cpm (knock on wood), so as long as this continues, a fee of 2-2.5% should not be a deterrent when it can mean the difference in whether or not you meet the minimum spend. However, I would probably pass if the fee were to approach or exceed 3%.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:50 am

I received my Reserve card last week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.