Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Middle East Relaunches the Centurion Card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum, AMEX Centurion
If you have a Platinum card and use it regularly for local spending and international travel, you may be eligible. I’m not sure what the magic annual spend figure is, but my guess is close to AED 1M. Have you tried contacting AMEX 🇦🇪 to check if you are eligible for Centurion?

Do you use AMEX travel service regularly for flights and hotels?

II got mine when they first launched so I’m not sure what the criteria is these days.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:39 am

Well this my first year with amex and i have spent so far more thank 150k$ and I always use their travel services all the time and evrytime and every month my bill is more than 25k$.

Can you please tell us what are the perks for middle east centurion and the annual fee.
theranj likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by muhanna
Can you please tell us what are the perks for middle east centurion and the annual fee.
Notice that I moved your post into an existing discussion of this card, and some of the information was mentioned earlier in the thread. It's a short thread, you may wish to start at post 1, and read forward.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Is the Centurion card USD denominated? If yes, does Amex add up 2.8% fx fee for AED transactions?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by stiwi
Is the Centurion card USD denominated? If yes, does Amex add up 2.8% fx fee for AED transactions?
It appears these questions were answered earlier in the thread:

Originally Posted by fireo
All Middle East Issued Charge Cards are issued in USD denominations...
Yes there are Foreign transaction fees only on form of foreign spending on the card. All local transactions wont have the fee attached.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:47 am

@mia I think you mixed up the things a bit. If you read the thread carefully, only the charge cards are issued in USD denomination. The (Platinum) credit card is issued in AED as stated by @fireo later on. Then there is a question from @JohnRain whether this UAE Amex AED credit card has some fees in local AED currency and @fireo answers that it doesn't but it does have the FX fee for non-AED spending.

So I believe my question is still valid on whether USD denominated Amex cards issued in UAE have 2.8% fx fee attached to AED payments?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum, AMEX Centurion
So I believe my question is still valid on whether USD denominated Amex cards issued in UAE have 2.8% fx fee attached to AED payments?
No. My Centurion card issued in the UAE but denominated in USD does not incur any extra fees for either AED charges or payments.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by jimmyg

No. My Centurion card issued in the UAE but denominated in USD does not incur any extra fees for either AED charges or payments.
Thanks, so at what rate does USD-AED conversion happens?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways,Amex Centurion
So my card is issued in Kuwait and Its a centurion charge card issued in USD. If i make local purchases in KD i am charged the FX rate plus 2.8%. I spoke to the customer service center and they said only cards in the UAE issued in UAE DIRHAMS do not pay this charge but if the card was USD based issued in the UAE or any country under AMEX middle east then all charges other than USD will be charged these fees
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks, so at what rate does USD-AED conversion happens?
whatever the fx rate is on that day plus the 2.8%
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:40 am

I enquired about Plat Charge card USD (issued in Bahrain) and they have asked for security deposit of at least $10.000 with spending limit allowance of 90% of the deposit. They are advertising on UAE website no predefined spending limit and mentions nothing about security deposit... Very strange. Has this happened to any of you?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:39 am
Original Poster

I enquired about Plat Charge card USD (issued in Bahrain) and they have asked for security deposit of at least $10.000 with spending limit allowance of 90% of the deposit. They are advertising on UAE website no predefined spending limit and mentions nothing about security deposit... Very strange. Has this happened to any of you?
Strange that has never happened before. maybe you didnt provide the job/salary requirements they needed?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:28 am

Strange that has never happened before. maybe you didnt provide the job/salary requirements they needed?
I did. What happens here in the UAE is that if your employer is not listed with the banks or card issuers, then it gets considerably harder to get a credit card, especially if you are self employed. My goal was to get this card as a pathway to 6 months Amex membership requirement for UK issued ICC Amex in EUR currency, but now I will have to think about it.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Just as an aside-- the UK issued Centurion International Dollar Card used to have a 2.7% fx fee but was jacked up to 3% a few years ago.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by jimmyg
That's not correct. You get upgrades on Etihad from business to first class at time of booking as a Middle East Centurion member if booked through AMEX. I use it all the time.
By the way, this benefit if also available to Platinum cardholders, so this is not Centurion exclusive benefit.

I have however just learned one thing: all their flight tickets can be issued in AED or BHD, they have no ability to issue tickets in USD. That means that significant portion of Amex special deals with the airlines are "eaten" by 2.8% conversion fee if you have USD card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.