Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[UK] Centurion changes coming July 2015 & January 2017.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[UK] Centurion changes coming July 2015 & January 2017.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by WacFlyer
I was told by an exec yesterday that they are making these changes so that the card becomes more exclusive again? Not sure I understand the plan here?
Well, if they continue with the benefit dilution and fee increases they might actually succeed. All it takes to make the Cent "exclusive" again is a sufficient number of frustrated customers downgrading to Plat... Talk about a good strategy!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:13 pm

Just confirmed with my PRM, increase to £2200, double MR stops 1 October, despite the fact that double MR is still a benefit of Gold cards, IHG will now be Gold Elite not platinum. I have been advised by Amex that these changes were brought in after feedback from their customers? I wonder who as I have never been asked!. Melia and Shangri la will be added. No other new benefits. Toddml, I agree with you on the card member offers, my partner also has gold and gets much better offers. I really feel its time that we all band together and write to the CEO the only alternative for me is to drop them.
That would be an interesting call. Mr customer what can we do to improve the Cent? Customer: Please increase the fee and reduce benefits
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
[UK] Centurion Changes coming July 2015

Sad to see IHG go down but honestly I never got any benefits from Plat. I have also never used VS Gold really but EK has been an excellent addition. I'd love it if we got eg Lufthansa Senator or SAS Diamond for *G. Would help with travel as I fly a reasonable amount but not enough anymore for *G. I agree that hotel wise I think SPG Plat or substantially better FHR benefits than Plat would be great. I have used the confirmed upgrades several times as well as Sirius Gold which is good. Ti won't matter much anymore when we all move to Apple Pay next month!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, EK Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Jumeirah Gold
Originally Posted by JK
Does it work for you on SPG spend? It seems to have never ever worked for me, and remains an ongoing issue I've had with AmEx (for several years now)... I can't help but feel the problems it has caused it what led them to remove the partner bonus (rather than actually fix the damn system!)
JK, for me double MRs have accrued at the following merchants: -

Tesco including fuel (AND sainsbury, correction to my post above)
Waitrose (but not M&S)
spg (but not Marriott)
Harrods (but not john lewis)
VS & LH (not 9w to pick a random airline)

In reply to your query, I would not worry about that. I had the same issue with spg and partners not crediting duoble. I used to have to ring them every few months. They eventually fixed it and spg is now double - automatic, consistent and worldwide.

ysb41....whoever got double on everything & triple on supermarkets and partners....makes me feel I have lost out big!

c55

Last edited by camille55; Jun 11, 2015 at 3:29 pm Reason: adding a "not" where it was omitted!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Originally Posted by camille55
J

ysb41....whoever got double on everything & triple on supermarkets and partners....makes me feel I have lost out big!

c55
MR points were used as a salve for customer service issues. I have a friend who got 4x on some spend
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
Not only did they again send me two TI cards, but also TI cards for all of my supplementary members who were platinum ( 4 in total)
I'm not surprised they have to increase the fees when they issue Titanium cards like crazy...

What they should do is to say, here is a list of 10 amazing Centurion benefits, please pick 4 of them. Everyone of us values different things and that way they would save money and make everyone happy.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by DUflyer
What they should do is to say, here is a list of 10 amazing Centurion benefits, please pick 4 of them. Everyone of us values different things and that way they would save money and make everyone happy.
Great idea! ^
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:11 am
JK
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by YClass
Ti won't matter much anymore when we all move to Apple Pay next month!
Agreed! Looking forward to this!
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:24 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Originally Posted by DUflyer
Given that most of the add on benefits are self-enroll this would seem to be an easy thing to monitor. They know how much things cost them so they should allow you to perm any number of benefits up to a notional maximum that they have as an internal figure. "You have 100 benefit points. Virgin Gold costs 50 points, Emirates costs 10, Hilton Diamond costs 10. Hertz and Avis cost 5" etc etc. That way people would only enroll for things they actually use.

Thing is the monitoring doesn't seem to be automated. I never fly VS these days so let my TitSupp have the VS Au. But several months on we're both Vs Au. I guess my membership will run until close of membership year. Makes me wonder about moving it back and forth between us .
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
So sounds like IHG dropping is a rumour. From October is the fee increase (so if you renew before hand it won't affect before 2016), and new is Shangri-La Diamond and Melia Platinum. And obv the 2x MR dropping for partner payments (hotels, flights etc etc).
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by YClass
Sad to see IHG go down but honestly I never got any benefits from Plat. I have also never used VS Gold really but EK has been an excellent addition. I'd love it if we got eg Lufthansa Senator or SAS Diamond for *G. Would help with travel as I fly a reasonable amount but not enough anymore for *G. I agree that hotel wise I think SPG Plat or substantially better FHR benefits than Plat would be great. I have used the confirmed upgrades several times as well as Sirius Gold which is good. Ti won't matter much anymore when we all move to Apple Pay next month!
Apple Pay will be restricted by payment systems that haven't been updated. The UK has a £20 cap on contractors payment, which is being raised to £30. Apple Pay will have the same restrictions, some stores may remove that restriction but that will be a store-by-store policy. It doesn't seem like many of the supermarkets are jumping on it the UK.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 8:07 pm

After 18 years as an Amex Customer and about 10 as a Centurion and having always sung the praises of this card, However I am seriously considering ditching it now.
Wow that's horrible. Sure makes me rethink whether I want a Centurion Card anymore!

Last edited by mia; Jun 13, 2015 at 5:10 am Reason: Prune quotation
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
This is horrible news, but it was bound to happen. I sorely miss CX Diamond already and really the only thing I benefit from these days is the odd free hotel night here or there and an occasional restaurant booking that I could not have gotten otherwise. Hardly value.

I'm assuming no word on them dropping the Foreign Transaction Fees either?? This is the biggest disappointment for me and has me not putting barely a dime on the card since I am overseas so often nowadays.

One little tip that the UK team does not do a good job publicizing: all the Fine Hotels & Resorts Third Night Free and Fourth Night Free offers extended to U.S. cardmembers also apply. Just used a Third Night Free offer a couple weeks ago and saved $800. (Subscribe to Tom's FHRNews to get the regular updates on these offers.)
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Wow, this devaluation (paired with price increase no less) sounds terrible, and the reissuing of cards - jeez!

I hope that USA Cents are not following closely behind.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
I'm assuming no word on them dropping the Foreign Transaction Fees either?? This is the biggest disappointment for me and has me not putting barely a dime on the card since I am overseas so often nowadays.
I know the ICC Cent card also still charges a forex fee but the UK card is news to me. For thousands of dollars in annual fee, one should not have to pay a forex fee on any card!

Last edited by mia; Jun 15, 2015 at 12:54 pm Reason: Prune quotation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.