Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trouble getting a replacement card?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Trouble getting a replacement card?

I've got a US Blue Cash Everyday card. Good for traveling internationally because of American Express' stellar customer service, right?

On the 17th I was alerted via the Amex mobile app that there was suspicious activity on my card and I should call and confirm/deny the charges. I called, and the charges were bogus. Their overseas call center was able to cancel my card, and unable to issue a replacement due to system issues. I was told to call back in an hour, as I was indisposed I let them know I'd call on Monday (the 18th).

I called back on the 18th, and again dealt the overseas call center. I was told that they would send out the card and I should expect it "the day after next" via DHL. I indicated to the hotel front desk staff that I was expecting a letter via DHL and to please call me upon arrival.

I checked with the front desk last night, lo and behold -- no letter. Called Amex, and again dealt with their stellar overseas call center, turns out the card had not been sent out.

I checked with the Global Assist folks (thankfully not overseas) and verified my options in the absence of a card. They also confirmed that there are no Amex Travel branches in all of Canada?! So there's nowhere to deal with card replacement in person in this entire country. My only option is to deal with the overseas card replacement department? Ugh.

I then called the overseas help again, was told that all of their supervisors were mysteriously tied up in a meeting (am I sensing a pattern of dishonesty here?). Okay no prob, let's see if the Global Assist reps can be helpful -- one offered to stay on the line and ensure I got through to a supervisor. Even he got the runaround, but someone claiming to be a supervisor then spent the next fifteen minutes verifying my identity a third time. After being put on hold yet again, I was informed that American Express had not sent out a card on the 18th (shocking, I know).

Is this really the kind of service American Express provides now? Is there any other way to obtain a replacement card in Canada?
Old May 22, 2015, 4:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
I recall there was a thread a while ago where Canadian cardholders lamented poor replacement service vs. their US neighbors..
Old May 22, 2015, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
I recall there was a thread a while ago where Canadian cardholders lamented poor replacement service vs. their US neighbors..
Sure but this is a US card, not a Canadian one. I'm just surprised that there's no recourse.

Last edited by blarf; May 22, 2015 at 10:54 am
Old May 26, 2015, 2:22 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Amex Global Benefit Loss

Not long ago if you had a card lost or stolen you could pick up a temporary card in your city from a local Amex office. I used this service in NY and at Madrid Airport. A friend had his card stolen en-route to NY and asked the same. Amex said it no longer offers this service and it would take 3-4 working days to get a new card. He's a Plat cardholder. This is a real loss - there was I telling him about this great benefit and to use it!
Old May 26, 2015, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YClass
Not long ago if you had a card lost or stolen you could pick up a temporary card in your city from a local Amex office. I used this service in NY and at Madrid Airport. A friend had his card stolen en-route to NY and asked the same. Amex said it no longer offers this service and it would take 3-4 working days to get a new card. He's a Plat cardholder. This is a real loss - there was I telling him about this great benefit and to use it!
Yep -- I naively assumed that I could walk into an Amex branch and get a replacement card. I guess Amex travel branches just don't exist any more. I thought that the ability to go into a local branch was one of the biggest selling points of American Express.

I did, however, figure out how to get a card. Turns out if you call to have the charges identified by Amex as fraudulent removed (I couldn't believe they let them post in the first place) and then tell the rep that you don't want a replacement card... guess what? They'll happily send a card out 2nd day DHL so that it arrives at your hotel the day after you leave. I'm a bit surprised that it could take a week to replace a Platinum card as even the Amex IVR indicated I should've had the card two business days from my initial request (and their initial freeze).

No matter, I've just been approved for a Chase Sapphire Preferred. I don't spend a whole lot, I've only been with Amex for a bit over a decade, and I don't travel a whole lot, but having a dedicated support line (and US based support reps) is absolutely worth the annual fee, the fees for a credit thaw, and rolling over on the the $100 dispute I've got on my Amex.

Adios American Express!
Old May 27, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by blarf
I couldn't believe they let them post in the first place
You couldn't believe because you have no idea how the system works. Unauthorized or not, a sale transaction WILL post. No bank can stop a sale transaction from posting.

- Try purchase protection/car rental protection/extended warranty from Chase (or any other banks), and you'll see why people still love Amex.
- I doubt that Chase would send you a new card oversea. I'm surprised Amex did that for you since you have a no-AF card.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnnie198x
I doubt that Chase would send you a new card oversea. I'm surprised Amex did that for you since you have a no-AF card.
To be clear, American Express has not gotten me a replacement card. I've explicitly told them at every opportunity when I was returning home. The replacement card that's been issued is somewhere with DHL in Canada now.

As for your surprise, I guess you don't know how those things work? It's a pretty well spelled out benefit by Visa/Mastercard/Discover. Anecdotal evidence would suggest that at worst it might take a few weeks and at best you could get a new card in a few days. Better to under promise and over deliver.

http://thebillfold.com/2012/07/what-...-money-abroad/

Hopefully American Express' other services are more reliable than their card replacement department.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.