Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by horseymen
Has anyone actually received their 35% rebate this year? If so, what airline? All of mine this year have had to go to the 70 day mark and I've had to call in. AMEX just seems broken left and right... Gold 4x not paying, 35% rebate not paying, the Simon issues.
My experience:

1. a few days after ticketing you receive an automated emails "congratulations your purchase qualifies for a 35% rebate" - the rebate will post within a few weeks or less

2. no automated email - you need to call in and get it manually adjusted
Old May 18, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
My experience:

1. a few days after ticketing you receive an automated emails "congratulations your purchase qualifies for a 35% rebate" - the rebate will post within a few weeks or less

2. no automated email - you need to call in and get it manually adjusted
exactly - and I haven't received the #1 in the past 6 months on as many reservations.
it's an easy enough 10 minute call.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
It now seems to take 6-8 weeks for the 35% rebate to post according to my calls to CS and Chats. I've been waiting 5+ weeks now.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by 236Dakota
It now seems to take 6-8 weeks for the 35% rebate to post according to my calls to CS and Chats. I've been waiting 5+ weeks now.
did you get the email a day or so after ticketing that confirm the ticket qualifies for the rebate?
i haven’t received one of these emails in over 6 months and maybe 10 tickets.
i’ve been calling for the rebate manually at about day 35.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:31 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Smiliar issue here too. About 1 of every 3 times I'll get the 35% rebate email for tickets purchased through AX. For these reservations the 4x TLS bonus posts automatically. For the other 2 of 3 times, it's a phone call.

Curious to know how long people are waiting (~35 days?) to call in before the CSRs will manually post the missing rebates.

ETA - appears to be 45 days.

Last edited by J.Edward; Jun 21, 2019 at 2:58 pm
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Smiliar issue here too. About 1 of every 3 times I'll get the 35% rebate email for tickets purchased through AX. For these reservations the 4x TLS bonus posts automatically. For the other 2 of 3 times, it's a phone call.

Curious to know how long people are waiting (~35 days?) to call in before the CSRs will manually post the missing rebates.

ETA - appears to be 45 days.
I was told I had to wait until the next statement close (basically follow the same timing as MR posting from purchases since they are always pending for one statement cycle). So if I made my purchase prior to my May statement close, I would have to wait until after my June statement close for Amex to do anything about it. So depending on where you were in your statement cycle when the purchase was made, it could be anywhere between 30-60 days before customer service will do anything about it
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Exclamation

Originally Posted by brosnan6
I was told I had to wait until the next statement close (basically follow the same timing as MR posting from purchases since they are always pending for one statement cycle). So if I made my purchase prior to my May statement close, I would have to wait until after my June statement close for Amex to do anything about it. So depending on where you were in your statement cycle when the purchase was made, it could be anywhere between 30-60 days before customer service will do anything about it
I have a Centurion Card which receives 50% credit on points used for payment. I have used this program frequently without issue, until last 60 days. Points would appear 3 - 4 days in my account after ticket issuance. AmEx call center now falls back on 10 week T&C language. Thought it was me but clearly an effort by AmEx to slow down enthusiasm for this program and lower their cost in a number of ways.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by gordondd9
I have a Centurion Card which receives 50% credit on points used for payment. I have used this program frequently without issue, until last 60 days. Points would appear 3 - 4 days in my account after ticket issuance. AmEx call center now falls back on 10 week T&C language. Thought it was me but clearly an effort by AmEx to slow down enthusiasm for this program and lower their cost in a number of ways.
Centurions have now been put on same schedule as Biz Plats; gone are the days of points being credited within 48 hours.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:08 pm

I redeemed loads of tickets for MR points and always assumed that I got my 35% rebate. Looks like I shouldnt assume anything. Has anybody understood an easy way to track whether 35% rebates were done other than going back to the history and going through each ticket, etc?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by Colin

did you get the email a day or so after ticketing that confirm the ticket qualifies for the rebate?
i haven’t received one of these emails in over 6 months and maybe 10 tickets.
i’ve been calling for the rebate manually at about day 35.
Who did you usually call about this? My ticket has been done for 6 weeks. Amex Agents are just saying the same. Unwilling to file a ticket for me until 10 weeks past.

Customer Un-Service at its best.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:05 pm

number on the card, phone prompt to Membership Rewards
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
number on the card, phone prompt to Membership Rewards
That's what I did.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by thexfactor
Centurions have now been put on same schedule as Biz Plats; gone are the days of points being credited within 48 hours.
As it turned out, AmEx agent advised it was a genuine system error and in fairness to them, the 50% rebate is again posting within 48 hours as it historically did.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:47 pm

does anymore still get the email confirming the 35% rebate is pending a day or two after ticketing?

i have not received one in a year or so, and dozens of J tickets.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
does anymore still get the email confirming the 35% rebate is pending a day or two after ticketing?

i have not received one in a year or so, and dozens of J tickets.
I receive them sporadically

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.