Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
.... would only allow the points to come from one of my two MR cards. It preferred the BB+ to my MS Plat....
Confused.

1. The feature discussed in this thread is only available if you hold a Business Platinum or Business Centurion. Which do you have?
  2. Typically, all of the points are commingled in the same Membership Rewards account. The system would not care which card earned the points.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Confused.
  1. The feature discussed in this thread is only available if you hold a Business Platinum or Business Centurion. Which do you have?
  2. Typically, all of the points are commingled in the same Membership Rewards account. The system would not care which card earned the points.
1. Oh I have neither. I was just replying since this was the only reference to that system error I found while Googling. Thought it could help other FTers.

2. Yes I'm aware. It did sound a little fishy. According to the rep, either card could be used to book the flight but the system would only allow the MR credit to post to my BB+. Apparently there wasn't a "listing" for my MS Plat. I said it didn't matter which card got the credit but apparently it has to be the card you make the purchase with. The points in question were earned on both cards but it shouldn't have made a difference which one was used as you note. I'm just relaying what I was told by the MR travel agent.

Last edited by sexykitten7; Dec 30, 2018 at 10:20 pm Reason: fixed typo
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I have the Amex Plat Card and have recently opened the Business Platinum after re-opening after a year away.

I am looking to book a One Way F fare today and looking to maximise earnings of 5x and 35% rebate on MR,

How should I perform this transaction ? Should I use the Business Card to pay or Platinum to get 5x,

Another thing I ave noted when i log into Amextravel online the GUI highlights the 5x Bonus for Flights purchased, no mention of 35% Bonus / rebate on American Business Plat when using MR points even though system shows I have the business platinum card, not worried about this as I can raise a manual query to have points rebated back to me but wanted to raise and see if others had same issue.

Last edited by navatwal; Jan 3, 2019 at 4:55 pm
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by navatwal
I have the Amex Plat Card and have recently opened the Business Platinum after re-opening after a year away.

I am looking to book a One Way F fare today and looking to maximise earnings of 5x and 35% rebate on MR,

How should I perform this transaction ? Should I use the Business Card to pay or Platinum to get 5x,

Another thing I ave noted when i log into Amextravel online the GUI highlights the 5x Bonus for Flights purchased, no mention of 35% Bonus / rebate on American Business Plat when using MR points even though system shows I have the business platinum card, not worried about this as I can raise a manual query to have points rebated back to me but wanted to raise and see if others had same issue.
The rebate used to be referenced in the fare search results when you specified pay with points, but no longer. As long as you use MR points out of the MR account linked to your Biz Plat, you will receive the 35% rebate in approximately 31 days.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal

You would pay with the personal Platinum. Not sure if this still works as shown from the post (#941) from holyPockets. Give it a try (nothing to lose) and let us know how it worked out.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:25 pm
mia

This feature was added to USA Business Gold in November 2018.

Business Centurion: 50% rebate nets to $0.02/point
Business Platinum: 35% rebate nets to $0.0154/point
Business Gold: 25% rebate nets to $0.0133/point
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:49 am

Quick question. AA is my selected airline on my business platinum card and I'm looking to book IAH - JNB. Can book an AA marketed flight, operated by BA, which is the lowest price and get the 35% rebate? On Amex Travel it shows as BA. Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by robchow
You would pay with the personal Platinum. Not sure if this still works as shown from the post (#941) from holyPockets. Give it a try (nothing to lose) and let us know how it worked out.
How about this scenario:

1) Purchase $10,000 ticket using 1M MR
+1x MR 10,000 (Ticket)
-1x MR 10,000 (PWP Credit)

2) Cancel your ticket from the airline
+$10,000 Credit (Ticket Refund)
-1x MR 10,000 (Ticket Refund)

Now you are at:
-1M MR converted to +$10,000 Credit
-10k MR

3) Rebook the ticket using AmexTravel (Business Plat) or directly from the airline (Personal Plat)
+55k MR (5x AmexTravel +0.5x >5k Bonus) [Business Plat]
OR
+50k MR (5x Airline) [Personal Plat]
-$10,000 (New ticket purchase)

4) You end with either:
[Business Platinum] +45k MR
[Personal Platinum] +40k MR

Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:58 am
mia

Originally Posted by supergabe
How about this scenario:
The problem is that you have converted 1 million points into $10,000 credit balance rather than into $12,500 at Charles Schwab or into airline miles worth ~$20,000.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mia
The problem is that you have converted 1 million points into $10,000 credit balance rather than into $12,500 at Charles Schwab or into airline miles worth ~$20,000.
If the points post as expected, you should get a cashout rate of 1/(1-.35-.045) ~= 1.65 cents/MR. You'd also earn the airline points from the paid booking, pushing you over 2 cents/MR depending how you value the airline points.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:37 am

wait 31 days to cancel the $10K refundable ticket until after the 35% rebate posts
some airlines, like AS, will directly refund an amex-issued ticket
this scheme doesn’t combine best of all worlds though with both 5x on the purchase price and the insider fare savings (unless booking last step offline w/ $39 fee).
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by supergabe
If the points post as expected, you should get a cashout rate of 1/(1-.35-.045) ~= 1.65 cents/MR. You'd also earn the airline points from the paid booking, pushing you over 2 cents/MR depending how you value the airline points.
Here's my quick arithmetic:
-1,000,000MR (converted to $) + 55,000MR (5.5x earned with Biz Plat) = 945,000MR (net used).
$10,000 ÷ 945,000 = 1.058¢ per MR pt

You don't get to double-count the air miles earned because you would earn them through the Amex Travel portal just the same. Also, I'm assuming Amex won't refund 350,000MR points because the flight was refunded. I'm not sure in actuality how that would play out, though. I personally wouldn't risk the known 350,000MR rebate in the chance that I could pick up an extra 55,000MR.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:53 am

there is zero downside risk.

either amex has rebated 35% at the end of the day OR amex will redeposit the 1M points upon request (leaving you none the worse). canceling tickets is not uncommon and amex certainly doesn’t seek out ways to punish those who need to cancel.

the only drawback is not getting the benefit of the Insider Fares discount.

of course, selecting Southwest as your airline and calling amex after ticketing also still works as a cash-out method that gets the 35% rebate.

for me, i keep a healthy amex balance solely for insider fares (without the $39 fee).

Last edited by Colin; Jan 20, 2019 at 10:58 am
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:11 am

my Dec 16th and 18th pay with points bookings (using my Biz Plat) have not posted the 35% rebate yet.
come to think of it, i never got the usual rebate confirmation email a few days after ticketing either.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
there is zero downside risk.

either amex has rebated 35% at the end of the day OR amex will redeposit the 1M points upon request (leaving you none the worse). canceling tickets is not uncommon and amex certainly doesn’t seek out ways to punish those who need to cancel.

the only drawback is not getting the benefit of the Insider Fares discount.

of course, selecting Southwest as your airline and calling amex after ticketing also still works as a cash-out method that gets the 35% rebate.

for me, i keep a healthy amex balance solely for insider fares (without the $39 fee).
I thought AMEX won't refund the MR if ticket is cancelled but will convert the MR to $ at a rate of $0.01 per MR. I don't know how AMEX handles the 35% on a cancelled ticket; anyone have DP on this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.