Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Platinum 35%, Gold 25%.

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Platinum 35%, Gold 25%.

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 21, 22, 6:52 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
Effective as soon as June 1, 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund will be reduced to 35%. The effective date of the change will reportedly depend on when the Business Platinum card account was opened. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (50% 35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 500,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 4, 22, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass View Post
Why wouldn't you get 35% back if it's a business class booking?
On a cancelled booking? AmEx won't know to cancel the 35% rebate?
Old Aug 4, 22, 4:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by CaptJOB View Post
On a cancelled booking? AmEx won't know to cancel the 35% rebate?
I guess they might but since these things are automated and the points aren't being reversed we don't really know for sure. However, I'm not up for trying it. Would be cool though if it did work.
Old Aug 5, 22, 4:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AMEX PLAT (noted for club access reference), B6 MINT, Amtrak Select
Asking for a friend: He mentioned that he thought the Centurion Card wasn't yielding 50% point rebate on Business/First Class flights anymore...

Any insight or is still set at 50% rebate for all Centurion Holders?
Old Aug 5, 22, 4:48 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by theboss7593 View Post
....still set at 50% rebate for all Centurion Holders?
My understanding all along has been that this is only for Business Centurion, just as it is for Business Platinum and Business Gold.
theboss7593 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 22, 3:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Can different airlines be selected for the $200 airline incidental fee credit and for the pay with points 35% MR rebate on the plat biz? I realize that sounds like a dumb question, but I haven't yet selected the airline for either and it just gave me pause when I went to do that. I had not realized that the pay with points rebate was only applicable to the selected airline.
Old Aug 6, 22, 3:42 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post
Can different airlines be selected for the $200 airline incidental fee credit and for the pay with points 35% MR rebate on the plat biz?
By rule, no.

35% Airline Bonus Disclosure
To use Pay with Points, you must charge your eligible airfare purchase through American Express Travel to a Membership Rewards program-enrolled American Express Card. Points will be debited from your Membership Rewards account, and credit for corresponding dollar amount will be issued to the American Express Card account used. If points redeemed do not cover entire amount, the balance of purchase price will remain on the American Express Card account. Points must be used at the time of booking. Pay with Points requires a minimum redemption of 5,000 points.

Business Platinum Card Members will receive 3.5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points through American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus), up to 1,000,000 bonus points per calendar year, per each Membership Rewards account. For First or Business class flights on a Card Member's selected qualifying airline, the Card Member will still receive only 3.5 extra points for every 10 points redeemed. Card Member must select a qualifying airline at https://global.americanexpress.com/c...iness-platinum. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can select the qualifying airline. The airline you select for the 35% Airline Bonus and the $200 Airline Fee Credit must be the same. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at https://global.americanexpress.com/c...iness-platinum or by calling the number on the back of your Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline.

If you select Spirit Airlines, Southwest Airlines, or Frontier Airlines to receive your 35% Airline Bonus you must call Business Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-553-9497 to book. A flight booked as part of a travel package or booked with the American Express U.S. Representative Travel Network is not eligible for the 35% Airline Bonus. In addition, to be eligible to receive extra points, Card account(s) must not be cancelled or past due at the time of extra points fulfillment. If booking is canceled, the extra points will be deducted from your Membership Rewards account. Extra points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account approximately 6-10 weeks after eligible airfare purchases appear on your billing statement. See membershiprewards.com/terms for Membership Rewards program terms and conditions. This 35% Airline Bonus is the maximum Membership Rewards points you can get back for Pay with Points on flights booked through American Express Travel. Bonus ID: A6ZB.
The narrow exception is that you can spend $200 with the previous year's airline in January, and change to another airline before the end of that month.
Old Aug 6, 22, 3:42 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post
Can different airlines be selected for the $200 airline incidental fee credit and for the pay with points 35% MR rebate on the plat biz?
By rule, no.

35% Airline Bonus Disclosure
To use Pay with Points, you must charge your eligible airfare purchase through American Express Travel to a Membership Rewards program-enrolled American Express Card. Points will be debited from your Membership Rewards account, and credit for corresponding dollar amount will be issued to the American Express Card account used. If points redeemed do not cover entire amount, the balance of purchase price will remain on the American Express Card account. Points must be used at the time of booking. Pay with Points requires a minimum redemption of 5,000 points.

Business Platinum Card Members will receive 3.5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points through American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus), up to 1,000,000 bonus points per calendar year, per each Membership Rewards account. For First or Business class flights on a Card Member's selected qualifying airline, the Card Member will still receive only 3.5 extra points for every 10 points redeemed. Card Member must select a qualifying airline at https://global.americanexpress.com/c...iness-platinum. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can select the qualifying airline. The airline you select for the 35% Airline Bonus and the $200 Airline Fee Credit must be the same. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at https://global.americanexpress.com/c...iness-platinum or by calling the number on the back of your Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline.

If you select Spirit Airlines, Southwest Airlines, or Frontier Airlines to receive your 35% Airline Bonus you must call Business Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-553-9497 to book. A flight booked as part of a travel package or booked with the American Express U.S. Representative Travel Network is not eligible for the 35% Airline Bonus. In addition, to be eligible to receive extra points, Card account(s) must not be cancelled or past due at the time of extra points fulfillment. If booking is canceled, the extra points will be deducted from your Membership Rewards account. Extra points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account approximately 6-10 weeks after eligible airfare purchases appear on your billing statement. See membershiprewards.com/terms for Membership Rewards program terms and conditions. This 35% Airline Bonus is the maximum Membership Rewards points you can get back for Pay with Points on flights booked through American Express Travel. Bonus ID: A6ZB.
The narrow exception is that you can spend $200 with the previous year's airline in January, and change to another airline before the end of that month.
Old Aug 7, 22, 1:22 pm

I was able to change 1 of mine last week via chat to AA even after I used the $200 for UA TB. I will have a data point in around 4 weeks if I got the 35% back on AA flight purchased with points via Amex Travel.
I forgot to update on this but reminded myself now because of the above question. While the airline your select applies to both the $200 credit and the 35% rebate, I was able to use the $200 for United early this year (UA was my airline from last year) and then in May I asked to change to AA and received an email confirming the change. May 25 I purchased economy AA fares and paid with points. June 26 I received the 35% points back. This is a YMMV situation but it worked for me.
mia, MaxVO and Stgermainparis like this.

Last edited by friedablass; Aug 7, 22 at 6:06 pm
Old Aug 7, 22, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia View Post
By rule, no.

I knew youd have the answer, MIA! Thanks. I think I mustve seen that language and then forgotten where and the two separate select airline buttons in my online account threw me off.
Old Aug 7, 22, 4:20 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United 1mm, AA 1mm
just booked something and you still get back the 50% for biz centurion.
Old Aug 11, 22, 9:16 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA PP , IHG Diamond Ambassador
Never again

Used my Business Platinum to book points reservation for AA flight for the 35% rebate through the Amex Travel website.

Needed to cancel yesterday for a flight credit. Took an hour on the phone with outsourced Filipino call center to get it done. Flight credit only usable through Amex travel.

Today tried to rebook. Took another hour on the phone with outsourced call center. Using the flight credit for a flight showing on aa.com as $200. Agent quoted it at over $400. Told her that was not correct. Then looked again and requoted it at $250. Told her that still wasnt correct to please look at the fare on aa.com. Then the third time she finally came back with the correct fare.

Having to spend two hours for any kind of flight change isnt with it to me for the 35% back.

Does booking with a phone agent make this process better than using website? I understand its two different companies that handle online vs phone travel?
Old Aug 11, 22, 9:27 am
mia

Originally Posted by ymx View Post
....I understand its two different companies that handle online vs phone travel?
Not exactly. There are two companies: Amex Travel (Expedia) and Platinum Travel Service (PTS). The website is operated by Amex Travel, and there are also Amex Travel telephone agents (you spoke with one). It's difficult, but still possible, to contact PTS. Some posters report that PTS still provides better service, while others find no difference. Some discussion here:

Amex Platinum Travel Services (PTS) vs Amex Travel
Old Aug 12, 22, 3:48 am

If I book partially with points and partially with credit via the Amex Travel website, am I supposed to get 5x points on the portion paid with the Business Platinum card?

For example, using round, made up numbers, say the full ticket price is $500.00 and I use 45,000 points. Should I get 250 MR ($50 x 5) or just 50 MR (1x)?
Old Aug 12, 22, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by hi-guy View Post
If I book partially with points and partially with credit via the Amex Travel website, am I supposed to get 5x points on the portion paid with the Business Platinum card?

For example, using round, made up numbers, say the full ticket price is $500.00 and I use 45,000 points. Should I get 250 MR ($50 x 5) or just 50 MR (1x)?
I would say 250 because Biz Plat earns 5x on any charge made by amextravel and that's what your charge is going to say.
Old Aug 13, 22, 12:23 am

I would say 250 because Biz Plat earns 5x on any charge made by amextravel and that's what your charge is going to say.

Originally Posted by hi-guy View Post

I guess I need to decide if it's worth the additional 4x points to deal with customer service then. /sigh

The charge coded as PwP AMERICAN EXPRSEATTLE WA and under Rewards for This Charge, it says 1X On Other purchases. I did also check the Membership Rewards Your Points Activity and it also shows 1X there with no other line item corresponding to 4X.

Search this Thread