Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Platinum 35%, Gold 25%.

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Platinum 35%, Gold 25%.

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 21, 22, 6:52 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
Effective as soon as June 1, 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund will be reduced to 35%. The effective date of the change will reportedly depend on when the Business Platinum card account was opened. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (50% 35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 500,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Old May 8, 22, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by milesaremymantra View Post
Amex doesn't make it easy to confirm, but it's 1X with initial purchase and later the 4X posts. Have confirmed this on many tickets.
'aint that the truth. I have yet to find a simple way to reconcile straight purchases that earn 5x then the 35% rebate yet alone a combo of $ and point purchases with rebate.

Unbelievably Amex gives the transaction a bizarre name/number with zero detail.
Old May 11, 22, 2:22 pm

I made a reservation (Delta airlines) using PWP, and currently waiting for the 35% rebate. If I go to Delta website to modify my reservation and change the flight to a Virgin Atlantic code share flight, will Amex be notified and deny my rebate? Has anyone done this? Thanks.
Old May 11, 22, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by asdfghjk View Post
I made a reservation (Delta airlines) using PWP, and currently waiting for the 35% rebate. If I go to Delta website to modify my reservation and change the flight to a Virgin Atlantic code share flight, will Amex be notified and deny my rebate? Has anyone done this? Thanks.
As long as Delta allows you to modify the reservation on their site you should be fine. Might give you some trouble since it's a travel agency ticket but worth a try. If anyone has had this prevent the points rebate feel free to correct me but I can't imagine what would trigger that from modifying the reservation on the airline site.

I just cancelled and rebooked two United PwP transactions and I'm not expecting it to affect those points coming back. And that's strictly dealing with AmEx. Maybe I'm being a bit naive...
Old May 11, 22, 4:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by CaptJOB View Post
I just cancelled and rebooked two United PwP transactions and I'm not expecting it to affect those points coming back. And that's strictly dealing with AmEx. Maybe I'm being a bit naive...
How did this work?
When you canceled on United you got a future flight credit or an ETC and used that to rebook?

Did anyone ever try canceled a United flight in their United account within 24 hours and refunded to ETC instead of to Amex? I'm trying to book a fare that's not available on Amex site and am wondering if this would work.
Old May 11, 22, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass View Post
How did this work?
When you canceled on United you got a future flight credit or an ETC and used that to rebook?

Did anyone ever try canceled a United flight in their United account within 24 hours and refunded to ETC instead of to Amex? I'm trying to book a fare that's not available on Amex site and am wondering if this would work.
It had been more than 24 hours so it was a travel credit that I had to call AmEx to rebook unfortunately. Even though even within the 24 hours I wouldn't expect an FFC that you could use directly on the United site. Much more work than an ETC or FFC.
Old May 11, 22, 4:29 pm

As long as Delta allows you to modify the reservation on their site you should be fine. Might give you some trouble since it's a travel agency ticket but worth a try. If anyone has had this prevent the points rebate feel free to correct me but I can't imagine what would trigger that from modifying the reservation on the airline site.

Yes, it is allowed on Delta. I cancelled and rebooked a PWP ticket directly on Delta.com without issues. But that was after I got the rebates and both tickets are booked on Delta operated flights.
Another thing that worries me is that after I cancelled and rebooked from Delta website, Amex sent me a notification about a change to my reservation. I am wondering whether it is just a coincidence or Delta actually notified Amex about my new ticket.
Old May 11, 22, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by asdfghjk View Post
Another thing that worries me is that after I cancelled and rebooked from Delta website, Amex sent me a notification about a change to my reservation. I am wondering whether it is just a coincidence or Delta actually notified Amex about my new ticket.
We'll get the answer 45 days from the booking date I imagine. Here's to hoping it's all good.
Old May 11, 22, 5:52 pm

It had been more than 24 hours so it was a travel credit that I had to call AmEx to rebook unfortunately. Even though even within the 24 hours I wouldn't expect an FFC that you could use directly on the United site. Much more work than an ETC or FFC.
Were you at all able to modify your reservation in your United account? Or everything had to be done via Amex?

We'll get the answer 45 days from the booking date I imagine. Here's to hoping it's all good.
What happens 45 days after booking? Is that when the rebate comes?
Old May 11, 22, 6:24 pm

Were you at all able to modify your reservation in your United account? Or everything had to be done via Amex?

What happens 45 days after booking? Is that when the rebate comes?
I could have done a paid upgrade to the ticket but I was attempting to rebook the fares for the MilePlay promo. Definitely wasn't worth the effort but lesson learned on that one.

And yeah, last time I got the points reimbursed 45 days after the original booking. Think that's pretty standard but I would expect at least 30.
Old May 11, 22, 6:34 pm

I could have done a paid upgrade to the ticket but I was attempting to rebook the fares for the MilePlay promo. Definitely wasn't worth the effort but lesson learned on that one.
Sorry for all the questions but did you see any option to modify or cancel your flight on United site using your record? I want to book a specific premium economy fare and Amex doesn't have it. So I'd like to book whatever fare class they're selling and then try to modify on United site - if I can just modify to pay to book the fare class I want that's best, otherwise I'd like to be able to cancel for FFC or ETC with United (not Amex) and then rebook the fare I want using those funds and paying the remainder by cc.

I might just try it myself and report back with results.
Old May 11, 22, 6:46 pm

Sorry for all the questions but did you see any option to modify or cancel your flight on United site using your record? I want to book a specific premium economy fare and Amex doesn't have it. So I'd like to book whatever fare class they're selling and then try to modify on United site - if I can just modify to pay to book the fare class I want that's best, otherwise I'd like to be able to cancel for FFC or ETC with United (not Amex) and then rebook the fare I want using those funds and paying the remainder by cc.

I might just try it myself and report back with results.
I cancelled on the United site which gave me an FFC technically. But to use it I had to call AmEx to rebook since they issued the ticket(it was there but greyed out on the United site when I attempted to rebook directly with the airline). Looking at the updated reservations though I'm pretty sure changing the ticket on the United website would be doable.

Just don't cancel otherwise you'll need to make a phone call to AmEx who likely won't be able to book that PE fare you're looking at.
Old May 11, 22, 7:19 pm

I cancelled on the United site which gave me an FFC technically. But to use it I had to call AmEx to rebook since they issued the ticket(it was there but greyed out on the United site when I attempted to rebook directly with the airline). Looking at the updated reservations though I'm pretty sure changing the ticket on the United website would be doable.

Just don't cancel otherwise you'll need to make a phone call to AmEx who likely won't be able to book that PE fare you're looking at.
Thanks for the info. I just find it interesting that you had to call Amex to rebook using United FFC. The way I'm looking at it is that you bought a ticket on United through Amex - you paid Amex for the ticket essentially with cash (even if you used points, United doesn't know that), and Amex gave that cash to United to pay for the ticket. So United had the money for your ticket so I would think when you cancel for credit (not cash refund), since they have the money you could rebook with them. Why does Amex have to be involved? But I guess this is the way it is and I won't cancel because that certainly will be of no help to me.
Old May 14, 22, 9:06 am

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt, Marriott
Thanks for the info. I just find it interesting that you had to call Amex to rebook using United FFC. The way I'm looking at it is that you bought a ticket on United through Amex - you paid Amex for the ticket essentially with cash (even if you used points, United doesn't know that), and Amex gave that cash to United to pay for the ticket. So United had the money for your ticket so I would think when you cancel for credit (not cash refund), since they have the money you could rebook with them. Why does Amex have to be involved? But I guess this is the way it is and I won't cancel because that certainly will be of no help to me.
When UA takes over your ticket from OTA, you need to pay$50.
Old May 14, 22, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by willliamjia View Post
When UA takes over your ticket from OTA, you need to pay$50.
Where did you see that? How do you pay the $50 for that to happen?
Old May 14, 22, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Where did you see that? How do you pay the $50 for that to happen?
Most airlines will charge this, but keep in mind you can usually change an Amex agency issued directly on the airline's website as the Amex website has no mechanism to do this, and calling Amex travel will get you an offshore customer service person who is completely clueless about what to do - I just went through this last week.

The UA website bombed on my change, so I called UA directly and they waived the $50 charge because of the website issue.
friedablass likes this.

Search this Thread