Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
I wonder how/why PYP differs from the airline fee credit which I know does get included toward min spend for SUB.
Just closing the loop here since my first statement just hit for the card I used for PYP - the airfare showed up under Rewards as a $0.00 and 0 points...so I didn't even get normal spend points for the pay-with-points transaction. Doubtful it counts against SUB min spend
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:17 pm

Location: Portland, Or. AA Lifetime Plat, Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, AMEX Plat
Dynamic pricing making Amex 35% Rebate (Bus Plat) good deal?

I'm trying to book Bus Class for our family of 7 West Coast/ATH (Different itineraries). Finding dynamic pricing translates to whatever cash price is equals 1 using points or airline rewards. $5K ticket = 500K point/reward. Ridiculous. Has anyone tried Amex International Airline Ticket program? At least the $5K would be 325K after the 35% rebate and I'm finding using the Amex International Ticket / Insider fares are lower than direct with airline. With the 35% even better. Can't even believe I'm thinking 325K for a RT is reasonable! Any thoughts on this appreciated!

Last edited by mia; Apr 21, 2022 at 8:13 pm Reason: Remove bold font.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by milesaremymantra
....Finding dynamic pricing translates to whatever cash price is equals 1 using points ....
Through which frequent flyer programs?

International Airline Program (IAP) is discussed here:

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:22 pm

Location: Portland, Or. AA Lifetime Plat, Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Through which frequent flyer programs?

International Airline Program (IAP) is discussed here:

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).
Almost all airline programs. I’m using Awardlogic and Point.me. The award results almost all equal required points translate to 1 point = 1 $.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by lax01
Just closing the loop here since my first statement just hit for the card I used for PYP - the airfare showed up under Rewards as a $0.00 and 0 points...so I didn't even get normal spend points for the pay-with-points transaction. Doubtful it counts against SUB min spend
I just had a little over $15k spend including about $900 in PWP airfare. The 150k SUB posted as soon as the MRs for the last transaction did. Did not receive any MRs for the PWP tickets.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by flymonthly
I just had a little over $15k spend including about $900 in PWP airfare. The 150k SUB posted as soon as the MRs for the last transaction did. Did not receive any MRs for the PWP tickets.
Interesting...good data point...will report back once I get closer to SUB min spend
Old May 1, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Long time saver of MR, neophyte MR redeemer, looking at my first Pay With Points airline ticket. JFK-LIM biz on LATAM, ~260K MR, a lot more MR (or $$$) if booked as the Delta codeshare either on MR site or Delta site. No LATAM account, yes (Delta) SkyPesos account.

AFAICT LATAM is not a transfer partner for MR (or UR) so transfer and then airline (award chart if applicable) redemption is not an option. AFAICT LATAM is not one of the AmEx Airline Fee Credit choices so 35% rebate is not possible.

Is there in fact a way to receive the 35% rebate and if so what is it?

Once booked 100% with MR points, what are the cancellation and change policies? (Been asked several times above but it’s all older than 7 years.)

Once booked 100% with MR points is the ticket eligible to earn SkyPesos and if so is that as simple (I hope) as ensuring my SkyPesos account # is on the ticket? (Also asked and answered above but changes are possible after 7 years.)

Actually need to fly NYC-LIM and return UIO-NYC, don’t see any lay flat seats out of UIO so planning to book UIO-LIM-JFK. Initial searches on the MR booking webpage indicates a “multi-city” search returns incomplete results, with some desirable flights missing from the results. Is it possible on the AmEx website to book JFK-LIM and UIO-LIM-JFK as either 1 or 2 tickets? Can MR flight redemption be made by phone with a live human being and if so, can that person see flight options that wouldn’t be displayed to a customer?

If I have multiple MR earning cards on my login profile, some biz plat some non biz plat, do I need to be careful when booking the ticket to access the flight redemption pages from one of my biz plat pages?

Re: “Once booked, your Card will be charged the full dollar amount. A corresponding credit for the value of points used will be applied to your account in a separate transaction within 48 hours.” Are MR points removed from MR balance upon booking or upon the “corresponding credit ... separate transaction”. Are MR points earned for the charge? (1x or 5x?)

Might be off topic for this thread but any way to travel NYC to/from Lima all in a lay-flat seat less expensively? (I have seen IAH-LIM on UA with lay flat seats.)

Thank you.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; May 1, 2022 at 1:08 pm Reason: just one more question ... again ... again :-)
Old May 1, 2022, 12:12 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
....LATAM is not one of the AmEx Airline Fee Credit choices so 35% rebate is not possible.

....lay flat seats....
The reference to lay flat seats suggests that you intend to purchase business class tickets. If this is accurate, the Business Platinum 35% rebate does apply. There is no airline restriction when buying business or first class fares.

Business Platinum Card Members will receive 3.5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points through American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus), up to 1,000,000 bonus points per calendar year, per each Membership Rewards account.
If business class is your plan I will move this discussion to a fresher thread.
Dr Jabadski and levilevi like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
THANK YOU (as always) MIA.
Originally Posted by mia
…If this is accurate, ...
Yes, “lay flat” was my way of stating (international) biz or 1st. My apologies if this isn’t the proper thread, I didn’t find another thread(s) for multiple general questions about MR Pay With Points.
Originally Posted by mia
… the Business Platinum 35% rebate does apply...
Thanks again, so far this is the best news of the month . 35% for this redemption will be ~90K MR, a tidy sum, almost a SUB, like an early birthday present !
Old May 1, 2022, 1:38 pm
mia

The fact that LATAM is not a Membership Rewards transfer partner does not preclude using points for a ticket. LATAM used to be a OneWorld member, but no longer. Now they have partnerships with all of the airlines list on this page:

https://latampass.latam.com/en_us/associated-airlines

Some of those airlines likely offer award flights operated by LATAM through their frequent flyer programs. This has nothing to do with codeshare flights. You would need to check each program to see if they publish an award chart for flights operated by LATAM. These types of award flights may need to be booked by phone with the program (not with LATAM). Information about using Delta Skymiles for travel on LATAM appears to be here:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...-miles/#travel > Travel with Miles on Partner Airlines
Dr Jabadski and MaxVO like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 1:53 pm
mia

If you go ahead with a Pay with Points transaction, the full cost of the ticket will be billed to your Business Platinum card. Points will then be redeemed to offset the cost at 100 per dollar. The 35% rebate is credited weeks later. The airline will see this as a ticket purchased with money through Expedia. The points aspect is not visible or relevant to the airline.

If you need to cancel or change before the date of travel you will for the most part deal with Amex Travel (Expedia), not with LATAM.
Dr Jabadski and levilevi like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:21 pm

Just a DP: Purchased a flight with PwPs on March 29th - refunded on 4/30
Dr Jabadski likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:39 pm

Long time saver of MR, neophyte MR redeemer, looking at my first Pay With Points airline ticket. JFK-LIM biz on LATAM, ~260K MR, a lot more MR (or $$$) if booked as the Delta codeshare either on MR site or Delta site. No LATAM account, yes (Delta) SkyPesos account....
If you're looking for award travel, this exact flight may be available from Iberia for 62K Avios. And there is a way to transfer MR to IB Avios.
mia and Dr Jabadski like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
If you're looking for award travel, this exact flight may be available from Iberia for 62K Avios. And there is a way to transfer MR to IB Avios.
Thank you, outstanding tip. Yes, most definitely award travel, the exact reason I torment myself with too many credit card applications and incessant recon calls.

Speaking of Avios, I have a bunch of British Airways Avios (which I’ve used for short UK/European flight simple redemptions), I do not have an Iberia (Airline) Avios account and I’d prefer to use BA Avios instead of MR. I’ll look into booking the ticket at BA website (with BA Avios) but of course those annoying surcharges might rear their ugly head. From what I’ve read, Avios transfer from BA to IB while quite simple unfortunately (for me) requires an Iberia account at least 3 months old with some prior qualifying earning activity. My flight dates are in October, I guess I could book it now with MR, open and initially fund an IB Plus account, in 3 months (if 62K Avios award still available) transfer BA to IB, book it with IB, cancel MR. Thanks again.
Old May 1, 2022, 5:53 pm
mia

....I guess I could book it now with MR,...in 3 months.... cancel MR. Thanks again.
This assumes you purchased a fully refundable ticket.
Dr Jabadski likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.