Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2016, 12:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gold23
...stack the international airline companion perk with the 50% credit on paying with points?
Probably not because Pay with Points booking are handled by American Express Travel, while IAP bookings are handled by Platinum Travel Service. I will look to see if I can find any explicit mention.

You can use Pay with Points for International Airline Program purchases (see below). I do not find any terms which exclude IAP purchases from the 50% refund. You would need a hefty Membership Rewards balance for this to work. An $8,000 purchase means 800,000 points.

This page http://iap.americanexpress.com/ says: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points to pay for all or part of your airfare.

Footnote
Membership Rewards Pay with Points: To use Pay with Points, you must charge your eligible purchase through American Express Travel to a Membership Rewards® program-enrolled American Express® Card. Eligible purchases exclude car reservations, non-prepaid hotels, and FINE HOTELS & RESORTS bookings. Points will be debited from your Membership Rewards account, and credit for corresponding dollar amount will be issued to the American Express Card account used. If points redeemed do not cover entire amount, the balance of purchase price will remain on the American Express Card account. Minimum redemption 5,000 points. See membershiprewards.com/terms for the Membership Rewards program terms and conditions.

Last edited by mia; Oct 29, 2016 at 12:56 pm
Old Oct 29, 2016, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by mia
You would need a hefty Membership Rewards balance for this to work. An $8,000 purchase means 800,000 points.

This page http://iap.americanexpress.com/ says: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points to pay for all or part of your airfare.
"If points redeemed do not cover entire amount, the balance of purchase price will remain on the American Express Card account."

I don't believe your statement is correct. It appears you could make the $8,000 purchase with fewer than 800,000 points; you would just have to pay the balance. But maybe I am not reading this correctly. Cheers.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:08 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jeepie
... you could make the $8,000 purchase with fewer than 800,000 points; you would just have to pay the balance.
That's correct, it's not an all or nothing benefit, but if you want to pay the full cost of an $8,000 ticket you would need 800,000 points.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mia
That's correct, it's not an all or nothing benefit, but if you want to pay the full cost of an $8,000 ticket you would need 800,000 points.
Thanks all. I own both personal and business platinum for my own small business. This feature may work out for me....most of my leisure travel is to EU, and based on last year's pricing it would cost me a little less than 250,000 for two J class tix under this scenario (with some really nice mileage bonuses from the airlines). I have over 1M Amex points currently.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:49 am
mia

...based on last year's pricing it would cost me a little less than 250,000 for two J class tix...
Based on IAP pricing? I think others would be interested to know which airline/route is offering $2,500 for two business class seats.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mia
Based on IAP pricing? I think others would be interested to know which airline/route is offering $2,500 for two business class seats.
That's one business class seat. Purchase at the full price using points, get the companion ticket for free, and then apply the 50% discount to arrive at 250,000 points.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by teddy25
I am trying to book a trip today. would the 50% refund be posted right after I book, or do I have to wait for the charge to post?

EDIT- FOUND the answer. 2-3 days after charge.
Posted within 24 hours.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 5:25 pm

sucks that 50% thing is only valid for selected airline. And somehow some flights just don't show up in their portal but get picked up by others like UR, TYP, Flex, etc.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 5:34 pm
mia

Originally Posted by runb4fun
... somehow some flights just don't show up in their portal but get picked up by others like UR, TYP, Flex, etc.
All of these portals are outsourced, and there are similar complaints in each forum. If you do not see it online try calling. Also, bear in mind that the 50% refund is valid on all airlines if you book business or first.

Are all airlines available on the American Express Travel Online site?
American Express Travel Online offers the majority of domestic and international airlines. There are some airlines, however, that are not offered on the site. While we cannot book these airlines for you, we have solutions for how you can redeem points for these airlines if you choose.

To redeem your Membership Reward points for Southwest Airline tickets, simply book your ticket directly with Southwest Airlines and then redeem your points after the charge posts via Your Charges online at: membershiprewards.com/yourcharges or through the American Express App on your mobile device (iPhone and Android platforms only). You have the ability to schedule a point redemption for eligible pending charges through the American Express Mobile App. You must have enough Membership Rewards® points to cover the entire cost of the charge with Your Charges.

If you are looking for any other airline and it is not shown in your search results on the website, please call American Express Travel Online at 1-800-297-2977 .

Last edited by mia; Oct 30, 2016 at 5:40 pm
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:13 am

Regarding the 50% rebate, do you see the credit mentioned anywhere during the checkout process? I'm trying to book a Delta (my preferred airline) economy ticket on amextravel.com with pay by points but I don't see it. Just want to make sure I will get the rebate before I commit. Thanks.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
That's one business class seat. Purchase at the full price using points, get the companion ticket for free, and then apply the 50% discount to arrive at 250,000 points.
So there is one more out there with 2 plat cards!

I'd be interested to know where you obtained a companion ticket that's not restricted to economy? I'm managing 18 different cards (all don't have fees so I'm not a complete idiot), and am wondering if I might be missing a benefit on one of those cards.

TIA
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:00 pm
mia

Originally Posted by txpenny
... where you obtained a companion ticket that's not restricted to economy? ...
See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...n-members.html
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by kn9ght
Regarding the 50% rebate, do you see the credit mentioned anywhere during the checkout process? I'm trying to book a Delta (my preferred airline) economy ticket on amextravel.com with pay by points but I don't see it. Just want to make sure I will get the rebate before I commit. Thanks.
No, the rebate is not mentioned anywhere in the booking or purchase process. I booked an economy ticket a few days ago on AA (my preferred airline) and the charge showed at full (1c = 1MR) through the end and on the receipt. I do see the 50% rebate in my activity posted a few days later. In the post-purchase survey I received from Amex Travel, I noted that it would be useful for this to be noted in the purchase path so that the cardmember can be assured of their benefit being applied.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by kn9ght
There is no indication during the checkout process that you will get the refund.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by runb4fun
sucks that 50% thing is only valid for selected airline. And somehow some flights just don't show up in their portal but get picked up by others like UR, TYP, Flex, etc.
Don't forget that it's valid for any airline if you're purchasing business or first class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.