Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Its extremely simple - use the points on business class flights which have no chance of being released on award space (e.g. flights to Bora Bora), or on cheap business class fares (originating in Cairo etc), or for business class flights on airlines where the miles/points are revenue based (e.g. JetBlue mint).
+1 Maybe this is the 3rd point, but when there are advantages to qualifying for status with an airline -- like I think double EQMs on AA flying in J -- I like the fact that tickets bought with these points count toward EQMs (and, now, EQDs).
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Its extremely simple - use the points on business class flights which have no chance of being released on award space (e.g. flights to Bora Bora), or on cheap business class fares (originating in Cairo etc), or for business class flights on airlines where the miles/points are revenue based (e.g. JetBlue mint).
Understood, thanks. But how about not spending one’s points at $.015 each, vs. saving them for transfers where you can get better value? I do appreciate it is a different calculation for everyone.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by jeepie
Understood, thanks. But how about not spending one’s points at $.015 each, vs. saving them for transfers where you can get better value? I do appreciate it is a different calculation for everyone.
Totally depends on where you are flying to/from. 88k ANA points r/t for star alliance business class from say Cody, Wyoming to Santorini, Greece is a heck of a deal 99.9% of the time, but if you are flying LAX to Tokyo where you can snag a cheaper business class fare using the points at .0154 plus earn status miles, that might be a good deal too. I guess as a general rule, I would not do a transfer if I was knew I was going to get less than .0154 of value or so from them. Aeroplan also has some good uses, but they block some carriers and also are changing the program in a few years so I wouldn't leave any points sitting there. If there were a transfer bonus to British Airways I would consider transferring some there (I think as high as a 40% bonus has happened), but again you need to know when and when not to use avios and be familiar with aer lingus and iberia options.

Only negative things about ANA would be the inability to book for non family easily, fuel surcharges on alot of carriers (avoidable some of the time), and you have to book 4 days before the flight, so no last minute bookings, and it can take up to ~48 hrs to transfer the points from amex.

If you have access to way more points than you can use that also factors into your calculations, and if you want to chase status, and if you want to learn how to use ANA/iberia/aeroplan points, etc).
jeepie likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Just adding a data point. I have Business Platinum with the 50% bonus through 6/2/18. Purchased fares via Amex travel on preferred airline on 3/17/18, 50% bonus points posted 4/18/18 = 32 days.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:03 pm

Sorry if this is a silly question. I took the plunge and got the Amex Business Platinum card, and will be selecting Delta for the airline credits. Are all KLM and AF tickets coded as DL thru Amex Travel? I have been mixed success trying to this between google flights and Amex Travel. I want to make sure I'd get the points refund, and am a bit confused on how this works when flying on a airline's partner within an alliance.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:24 pm

AMEX Platinum Travel (via telephone agents) does issue all US to Europe (and then beyond) tickets where the first flight is marketing by any of DL/AF/KL on DL ticket stock, which would be the trigger for the 35% pay-with-points rebate 31 days after ticketing on economy bookings. If the ticket is in business or first, then the ticket stock is irrelevant as the 35% rebate applies in all pay-with-points cases.

I do not know if AMEX Platinum Travel (via online bookings) behave the same way with respect to DL ticket stock, though I suspect the answer is that they do.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
AMEX Platinum Travel (via telephone agents) does issue all US to Europe (and then beyond) tickets where the first flight is marketing by any of DL/AF/KL on DL ticket stock, which would be the trigger for the 35% pay-with-points rebate 31 days after ticketing on economy bookings. If the ticket is in business or first, then the ticket stock is irrelevant as the 35% rebate applies in all pay-with-points cases.

I do not know if AMEX Platinum Travel (via online bookings) behave the same way with respect to DL ticket stock, though I suspect the answer is that they do.
Does this work the same way if I choose United or AA as my selected airline?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:05 pm

I am not aware of AMEX Platinum Travel issuing etickets on AA ticket stock where the first segment is not AA marketed. Same for UA.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
What if one closes the Business Platinum card a few days after purchasing the tickets with points but before getting the 35% credit? Do we still get the 35% refund? I purchased a ticket a week ago and today I saw the $450 annual fee hit my account. I would like to close the account but I am expecting a credit of about 10,000 point.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
AMEX Platinum Travel (via telephone agents) does issue all US to Europe (and then beyond) tickets where the first flight is marketing by any of DL/AF/KL on DL ticket stock, which would be the trigger for the 35% pay-with-points rebate 31 days after ticketing on economy bookings.
My husband booked by phone UA flights on UA metal with UA being his preferred airline. He had to do it by phone because the online system kept booting him out every time he logged in and attempted to book regardless of browser or device being used and none of the reps could figure out the problem. He is well past the 31 day mark (actually past 5 weeks by now) and no bonus points have posted. Attempts to get anyone to do something have been futile, some reps say he needs to wait 6 weeks and others 10 weeks which is very frustrating.

As I noted above, my own points posted on the 32 day mark as mine were easily booked online. I am sure that his issue is that it was booked by phone as both our tickets were otherwise identical, but all the reps are denying that. We are really annoyed because right now we can book with points again and still get 50% back, but having to wait 10 weeks (at which point I also doubt they will post) will put him beyond the date where he is still eligible for 50% so that opportunity will have been lost.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
My husband booked by phone UA flights on UA metal with UA being his preferred airline. He had to do it by phone because the online system kept booting him out every time he logged in and attempted to book regardless of browser or device being used and none of the reps could figure out the problem. He is well past the 31 day mark (actually past 5 weeks by now) and no bonus points have posted. Attempts to get anyone to do something have been futile, some reps say he needs to wait 6 weeks and others 10 weeks which is very frustrating.

As I noted above, my own points posted on the 32 day mark as mine were easily booked online. I am sure that his issue is that it was booked by phone as both our tickets were otherwise identical, but all the reps are denying that. We are really annoyed because right now we can book with points again and still get 50% back, but having to wait 10 weeks (at which point I also doubt they will post) will put him beyond the date where he is still eligible for 50% so that opportunity will have been lost.
Hang up, call again.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by thexfactor
Hang up, call again.
Thanks, I will tell him to call as the past few attempts to get the points posted he did via online chat. Hopefully calling will get a better response.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by jediwho
What if one closes the Business Platinum card a few days after purchasing the tickets with points but before getting the 35% credit? Do we still get the 35% refund? I purchased a ticket a week ago and today I saw the $450 annual fee hit my account. I would like to close the account but I am expecting a credit of about 10,000 point.
According to AmEx agents, the points rebate will post automatically after a month, even if the Business Platinum account is closed. In practice, I used the Pay.W.Points 3 times, and never got the rebate automatically within the promised period. I would follow up on that issue by phone, and an agent would credit me the rebates manually. So I think the follow up step could be a bit more complicated when the underlying account is closed.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Booking “complex” itineraries with AmEx travel

I’m trying to book a OTP-LHR-JFK-LAX-PHX (and back) ticket on AmEx to use the 35% points rebate.

On GF, ITA and OTAs the fare is ~$1700. On AmEx it’s pricing out at $3600 for the same dates.

Is there some way to force the online booking engine to price in line with other OTAs? Has anyone had any luck getting phone agents to price in line / match 3rd party sites?

Ive tried calling but the first person i spoke to ended up not even being able to price the fare and I’m not sure whether it’s a case of HUCA or just give up!

Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by absoluy
...Has anyone had any luck getting phone agents to price in line / match 3rd party sites?
No, those phone agents are worse than the website. You need to call Platinum Travel Service. It's a separate dept with highly competent agents, who will likely find you the best options. There will be a $39 fee to book with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.