Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by txpenny
Unless I'm missing something, the 30% redemption worked the same. The only difference between pre and post 10.6.16 benefit is an increase of 20% to the PB redemption.

I must be in the bullseye of AMEX's targeted customer with their new combo of Biz & Personal Platinum benefits. I upgraded my PRG to the personal platinum as the combined spend for my wife and I with AA is in excess of $50K annually. So the 5X on purchases times the 2X on redemption makes me extremely happy to carry both.
Like you, I have Plat personal and business. I've never used MR for paid flights before yesterday, though.

If the above data points bear out, and the 50% pay with points rebate nullifies the spend on the ticket before rebate, that would remove the benefit we're hoping for in carrying both, no?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lkar
You click on "available points" and then the "summary" tab.
Thanks. I don't show any pending points either. I did post a $5,400 property tax payment 10/25.

However, I already show the 50K signup bonus as posted, along with the extra .5 bonus from a charge > $5K (but not the base points). So that's nice. Cycle doesn't close until tonight.

Perhaps we should wait a bit before concluding that the purchase points won't post at all...
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DaveH
Perhaps we should wait a bit ...
Base points go pending a few days after the statement is generated. They become available to redeem after the next statement is generated. New accounts may vary. Bonus points of all types are unpredictable.

Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ints-post.html
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:11 pm

Thanks mia. Your posts here and there are consistent with my data points, FWIW.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by DaveH
Like you, I have Plat personal and business. I've never used MR for paid flights before yesterday, though.

If the above data points bear out, and the 50% pay with points rebate nullifies the spend on the ticket before rebate, that would remove the benefit we're hoping for in carrying both, no?
Yes. I was unclear and never expecting to get points for the tix when paying with points. Just happy that on $50K on annual airfare spend, I'm getting 250K in points from Plat Personal, then later when redeeming, I'm getting 2cpp with the business platinum.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
So I have over 300k MR points and decided to purchase a first/bus class ticket for 200k. Within 24 I ended up cancelling the ticket. The points were deducted and after cancelling the 100k bonus points showed up. Waited the next day to see if the remaining MR points would appear and instead received a 2k credit on my account. Was expecting the points but the valuation I guess is the same. Any disadvantages or advantages of not getting the points vs monetary credit?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:12 am
mia

Let's see if I understand this correctly.

-200,000 redeemed
+100,000 refunded
=200,000 new balance

MONEY
$2,000 charge*
$2,000 credit

*Did the $2,000 charge post, is it still pending or did it disappear without posting?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:21 am

Currently have a negative balance as the credit has posted. I believe I did see a monetary charge of 2k but it fell off, but the points were immediately deducted. Now it just shows the credit as Amex Travel purchase with MR Points Credit -2000.00.

Last edited by rookie10; Oct 28, 2016 at 7:26 am
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:44 am
mia

If the net is -100,000 points and +$2,000 you have effectively converted points to an account credit at $0.02 per point.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by mia
If the net is -100,000 points and +$2,000 you have effectively converted points to an account credit at $0.02 per point.
I cancelled a Pay with Points booking yesterday and this is consistent with how it was explained to me - the charge would be refunded to my card, rather than points reinstated. I asked to get the points back instead, which they were happy to do (but had to transfer me to the Membership Rewards department as they travel folks weren't able to process that directly. Points were credited back instantly).

I also learned that their policy is that one may cancel (non-refundable) flight bookings up until 10 pm CT the day after the booking is made.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If that works consistently, it's a way around the selected airline limitation. You could book a refundable ticket for your chosen airline using your points and then cancel it and simply charge the ticket you really want on the card to offset the credit.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:13 pm
mia

Originally Posted by lkar
...it's a way around the selected airline limitation....
It's a way to convert points in a statement credit that could be used for anything. I expect that if American Express sees much of this activity they will change the procedure.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: AOPA
I am trying to book a trip today. would the 50% refund be posted right after I book, or do I have to wait for the charge to post?

EDIT- FOUND the answer. 2-3 days after charge.

Last edited by teddy25; Oct 28, 2016 at 2:41 pm
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:46 pm

Mine posted within 24 hours
Old Oct 29, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Sorry if this is a stupid question or if it has been covered (haven't found it)-

Is it possible to stack the international airline companion perk with the 50% credit on paying with points? Theoretically, can I price out the J ticket for my trip (through Amex travel, as their fares are always in the higher buckets for this promotion), purchase it with points, and then have my companion added as a free ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.