Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, any airline I can transfer MR points to.
So I have a question, does anyone know if AMEX plans to retain the 50% bonus for Centurion cardholders? I understand the crystal ball can only look so far out...

Also, are Centurion cardholders seeing the same delayed credit of the rebated points as the Business Platinum cardholders? What about the 1.5x point bonus?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My 50% redemption run before the change has now come full circle. By buying a full refundable ticket on my airline, then receiving the 50% rebate, I was able to rebook that expensive 3k ticket into what I needed and take the residual back in the form of an ETC as the airline agreed not to refund the difference back to Amex.

Very happy I was able to flush the points out at full value and I have 3k to spend with my airline (actually 3,200 with the airline fee rebate) and half the points back which can start burning next year at 35%.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:44 pm

stupid to not have taken the credit to your AMEX account
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Colin
stupid to not have taken the credit to your AMEX account
The credit is not going to MY account, it goes to Amex since the travel was bought completely with points
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
We don't have many examples, but the default seems to be to refund money (card account credit) rather than points.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The credit is not going to MY account, it goes to Amex since the travel was bought completely with points
you are mistaken
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by mia
We don't have many examples, but the default seems to be to refund money (card account credit) rather than points.
That was a risk I didn't want to take, after reading other examples of the original points going back, then potentially losing the 50% rebate, which puts me right back at the starting point.

Now I received better value for my points and have cash value with the airline that I will mostly certainly spend over one year.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Can't do mixed tickets online so I had to book over the phone and pay a $40 ticketing fee.

I thought all domestic flights are priced the same OW vs RT but I was wrong. IAH-SFO
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Rebate if charged on personal Amex Plat?

I have read the wiki --- in particular the 2nd question and answer, which suggests the jury is still out -- and I have been reading the thread from June onward.

Am I correct that, post-devaluation, we really have no data points on whether charging to personal Amex Plat still gives rebate (assuming we also have Amex Business Plat)?

Edit and update: I posted this because earlier today I bought an Insiders Fares ticket via Amex Travel (website) and picked my personal card [without a heck of a lot of thought, and some vague recollections of some of the discussion upstream about the points advantages of personal versus Business]. Next [of course] I started to get cold feet, read this thread closely, blah, blah, blah. I must say that all of the Amex stuff I could find on-line suggested that any enrolled MR card would be good. Anyhow, I called Amex Travel, and they ahd the same reading of the regs as I did. Whoever I was talking to did kick it up to a supervisor, who said to call the MR people. I waited on hold -- eventually the Amex agent came back and said that she had been reassured that paying with points via a personal Plat card would trigger the rebate as well. Was the call recorded? I'm hoping so, because I made a careful note on my calendar of the time that I was reassured on this point by the agent.

Last edited by Biggie Fries; Jul 21, 2017 at 12:35 pm Reason: Did some more sleuthing
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I have read the wiki --- in particular the 2nd question and answer, which suggests the jury is still out -- and I have been reading the thread from June onward.

Am I correct that, post-devaluation, we really have no data points on whether charging to personal Amex Plat still gives rebate (assuming we also have Amex Business Plat)?
I can confirm that I have received several rebates using a personal platinum, just the same as using the business platinum attached to the same MR profile.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:13 pm

Refunding after getting 50% refund

I need to rebook a refundable flight. I was going to cancel and rebook. Will this affect the points refunding?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:45 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
The points will not be refunded - you will just see a refund on your card for the cash value of the ticket.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by DaveH
I can confirm that I have received several rebates using a personal platinum, just the same as using the business platinum attached to the same MR profile.
After the rebate was changed to 35 percent? Or before that, haven't seen any recent data points
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by tonei
The points will not be refunded - you will just see a refund on your card for the cash value of the ticket.
Is this something that would be considered abuse after enough instances? Before people start rolling their eyes, for those of us with dynamic schedules this is a real concern (actually did just book a refundable full-fare ticket that I'm not sure I'll be able to fly).

Last edited by moe8555; Jul 23, 2017 at 1:44 am
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Is anyone finding this benefit particularly valuable?

I've found that for most international business / first class flights, I can get way higher cpp by transferring points to a frequent flyer program, and for economy flights you're limited to a single domestic airline

With 50% back, the 2cpp return rate was pretty spectacular, but I'm finding that with only a 1.53cpp return, I'm finding much less value on domestic flights.

This seems like a great upgrade if you already had a business platinum and needed to stick with it, but it seems like if you can utilize all of the Uber credits then the personal Platinum is probably a better choice for $100 less.

Even the Chase portfolio of cards seems like a better option, given that you get a bigger travel credit and you can use the points for the same dollar value in a more flexible way.

Does anyone else have a different assessment of the value of this perk?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.