Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by akcae
...- "5 X TLS" MR earning posted with the number of points corresponding to 4x the net cash cost from the transaction on 5/3.
I think the claim is that paying with a personal Platinum card may generate 4X points on the entire price of the ticket.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:38 pm

Correct, the example above does not illustrate that using Biz Plat earns 5x on rebated portion of ticket; in fact it undercuts that claim.

(BTW, using personal Plat and earning 4+1 is not a "claim." ^)
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by thexfactor
Correct, the example above does not illustrate that using Biz Plat earns 5x on rebated portion of ticket; in fact it undercuts that claim.

(BTW, using personal Plat and earning 4+1 is not a "claim." ^)
I never claimed the whole purchase earned 5x, only the net cash portion. Using my Biz Platinum that's what I see.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:33 pm

I never claimed the whole purchase earned 5x, only the net cash portion. Using my Biz Platinum that's what I see.
In context (which was apparently lost on you), that's exactly what you said, even if you did not mean to.

The Biz Plat earning 5x on the non-rebated portion of a purchase with AmEx Travel breaks no new ground, and is presumably exactly how it's supposed to work.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:24 pm

In context (which was apparently lost on you), that's exactly what you said, even if you did not mean to.

The Biz Plat earning 5x on the non-rebated portion of a purchase with AmEx Travel breaks no new ground, and is presumably exactly how it's supposed to work.
I'm not sure what context YOU had, but my post was a data point on the MR credit I have not seen before, and it ended with:

This answers my quandary of whether the entire purchase amount earns 5x, or just the cash balance.
My conclusion is exactly what I said: net cash cost is bonused on my Biz Plat. Otherwise was not stated (by me).
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:49 pm

I'm not sure what context YOU had, but my post was a data point on the MR credit I have not seen before, and it ended with:

This answers my quandary of whether the entire purchase amount earns 5x, or just the cash balance.
If your posts had in fact ended there, we would not be having this discussion...

Instead, you--without appreciating the context--jumped into the middle of a conversation regarding the possible advantage of using a card other than the Biz Plat as the card charged for a rebated booking by saying that the Biz Plat did earn 5x on rebated bookings:

Originally Posted by mia
Business Platinum offers 5X on airfare booked through American Express travel. How would using another card increase that?
IIRC, using Biz Plat for booking does not result in extra 4x when using rebate perk.
Except it does, as I previously reported a few posts up.
Not so much. The post you cited to does not in fact support the proposition for which you cited it--namely that Biz Plat earns 5x on the rebated portion of booking. As I stated above, your DP actually undercuts the point it purported to make. (And until I see otherwise, and AFAIK, Biz Plat does not earn 5x on the rebated portions of bookings.)

Moral(s) of the story here is (i) follow the conversation, (ii) context matters, and (iii) pointing out that you earned 5x on the non-rebated portion is like pointing out the sun sets in the west; that's how it's supposed to work.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 4:05 pm

The post you cited to does not in fact support the proposition for which you cited it--namely that Biz Plat earns 5x on the rebated portion of booking. As I stated above, your DP actually undercuts the point it purported to make. (And until I see otherwise, and AFAIK, Biz Plat does not earn 5x on the rebated portions of bookings.)

Moral(s) of the story here is (i) follow the conversation, (ii) context matters, and (iii) pointing out that you earned 5x on the non-rebated portion is like pointing out the sun sets in the west; that's how it's supposed to work.
I hope you feel better now. I am finished with any conversation you think I'm having with you. Happy Friday.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:13 am

Could you confirm that the point portion using Biz Platinum doesn't earn 4x?

We known that the point portion using Personal Platinum earns 4x.

So if you can confirm Biz Platinum doesn't earn 4x with pay with points, that could be very helpful for others to decide to use Personal version for pay with points.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:33 pm

I can confirm that the point portion does not earn 4x on the Biz Platinum card. I purchased a couple of tickets right after the 5x started with points and cash. About a month later 4x points posted on the cash amount only.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Just as I expected, AMEX customer service seems to be on a major downward trajectory. I don't even have the desire to HUCA.

I called this afternoon regarding 50% rebate points not posting after 31 days (36 days and counting- up from three days), and I get the same canned answer from a CR rep and a supervisor. The travel had to be booked through Delta since the AMEX Travel website was glitchy and the fares were over double any other websites.

If anyone is reading this who works at AMEX, what spend level is necessary NOT to receive canned answers that I can find myself in five minutes? Obviously it's higher than low-seven figures...
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
I called this afternoon...
I would not call about anything outside the routine at weekend, nights, or holidays. 24/7/365 service is an illusion at every company. Call when they have access to senior staff, and not on a Monday.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Just as I expected, AMEX customer service seems to be on a major downward trajectory. I don't even have the desire to HUCA.
Just had a similar experience. Purchased a flight with my preferred airline on 5/2 using points, but for some reason they charged my Business Platinum card and then refunded the fare onto my Business Gold Rewards card. I had to call and ask for the balance to be transferred and they assured me that the 50% points rebate would be processed.

Well here we are over 4 weeks later and I still haven't received the points back. I called in today only for them to tell me that the rebate was "processed" on 6/6 and my points are "pending," despite my MR account showing no pending points... It's always something with Amex these days. Sigh.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by wwongo
I can confirm that the point portion does not earn 4x on the Biz Platinum card. I purchased a couple of tickets right after the 5x started with points and cash. About a month later 4x points posted on the cash amount only.
Yup, exactly as was my experience.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:01 pm

Yup, exactly as was my experience.
I can confirm as well. For those fortunate enough to have a year grace period this will be even better. Has anyone had a retention offer that includes a longer 50% back period?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by moops380
I can confirm as well. For those fortunate enough to have a year grace period this will be even better. Has anyone had a retention offer that includes a longer 50% back period?
Nope, agent said he couldn't do that as that was coded by computer.
Though he suggested to downgrade from biz plat to biz gold, wait a few days, then upgrade to biz plat before June 1st, to get full one year 50%.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.