Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Old May 18, 2017, 7:17 am
foo

Programs: MR, TY, UR
Originally Posted by extremeromance
Points deducted on 4-15-17 and the rebate showed up on 5-16-17 so 31 days after
Similar data point. Points deducted 4/16/17 and rebate posted 5/18/17. ~32 days.
Old May 20, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
My recent bookings have been either 31 or 32 days. I booked flights on 4/16 and 4/17 and both rebates posted on 5/18.

Also, up until now, every time I've refunded a flight within 24 hours they only refund the cash but not the points, effectively cashing out my points at 2cpm. But yesterday I canceled a booking and the agent manually reversed the whole transaction and gave me back my points immediately and said she had to re-charge my card for the cash amount to offset the refund.

I have never had any intention of abusing this system to cash out my points (I just tend to book and cancel w/in 24 hrs in order to buy myself time to decide on a fare) but I wonder if their procedures have changed lately.
Old May 21, 2017, 4:03 pm

50% bonus using business plat on a flight?

I'm currently trying to book a flight on Amextravel to Kunming, China (KMG) from Pittsburgh (PIT). This is an economy flight.

My selected airline is United Airlines.
The flight goes from
Pittsburgh (PIT) -> Newark (EWR) (United)
Newark (EWR) -> Shanghai (PVG) (United)
Shanghai (PVG) -> Kunming (KMG) (Air China)

then

Kunming (KMG) -> Beijing (PEK) (Air China)
Beijing (PEK) -> Wash. DC (IAD) (United)
Wash. DC (IAD) -> Pittsburgh (PIT) (United)

I was wondering if my 50% bonus would apply on this whole flight or part of the flight. I called 18005539497 and they said they were 75% sure that it should apply to whole flight. The person seemed helpful but couldn't 100% confirm with me and transferred me to 18002973276. I called them and they said that it only works on the United legs of the flight. She however seemed very unsure about the terms and condition of the card. She initially mentioned some things about the 50% bonus and Amextravel that was incorrect. Anyone here know for sure whether or not it will apply?
Old May 21, 2017, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Crusading Angel
I'm currently trying to book a flight on Amextravel to Kunming, China (KMG) from Pittsburgh (PIT). This is an economy flight.

The flight goes from

then

I was wondering if my 50% bonus would apply on this whole flight or part of the flight. I called 18005539497 and they said they were 75% sure that it should apply to whole flight. The person seemed helpful but couldn't 100% confirm with me and transferred me to 18002973276. I called them and they said that it only works on the United legs of the flight. She however seemed very unsure about the terms and condition of the card. She initially mentioned some things about the 50% bonus and Amextravel that was incorrect. Anyone here know for sure whether or not it will apply?
Assuming you've picked United as your airline of choice for the rebate, I would check to see if I could see the same flights/price when booking on United.com. Because my guess is you'd get the rebate as long as the ticket is issued by UA. If the same flights/price show up on their site as Amex when you've selected UA as the airline then... you're probably fine.

You could maybe test it too by booking it late at night then seeing if you get an email the next day from Amex confirming the 50% rebate... if you don't, you can still cancel w/in 24 hours by calling in.
Old May 21, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Crusading Angel

The flight goes from

then

As long as issuing carrier is UA, you'll be fine.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by AwardBee
Assuming you've picked United as your airline of choice for the rebate, I would check to see if I could see the same flights/price when booking on United.com. Because my guess is you'd get the rebate as long as the ticket is issued by UA. If the same flights/price show up on their site as Amex when you've selected UA as the airline then... you're probably fine.

You could maybe test it too by booking it late at night then seeing if you get an email the next day from Amex confirming the 50% rebate... if you don't, you can still cancel w/in 24 hours by calling in.

I checked United's website and the same flight is there! It's a good sign I guess. Haven't received the rebate email yet, but hopefully I'll get one tomorrow. I only booked just now after reading this.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:37 am

I agree that most likely the OP's flight redemption would be qualified for the 50% rebate.
However, the method of test booking & cancel w/in 24 hours won't work. Because Amex will NOT refund the points, but the ticket price as statement credit. In case the flight redemption isn't qualified for 50% rebate, OP won't receive the 50% bonus and ends up with 1cent/pt. Did I miss something?
Old May 23, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by milaohu
I agree that most likely the OP's flight redemption would be qualified for the 50% rebate.
However, the method of test booking & cancel w/in 24 hours won't work. Because Amex will NOT refund the points, but the ticket price as statement credit. In case the flight redemption isn't qualified for 50% rebate, OP won't receive the 50% bonus and ends up with 1cent/pt. Did I miss something?
Yes, you did.

AmEx will refund points.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:04 pm

Amex doesn't often refund points IME but they are fully capable of doing so, you just have to ask and sometimes they'll just refund the points without you asking
Old May 23, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Amex doesn't often refund points IME but they are fully capable of doing so, you just have to ask and sometimes they'll just refund the points without you asking
I've been having issues lately with the AMEX Travel portal showing different fares (significantly higher) for DL than Delta's own website. I can't get the reps at AMEX Travel to duplicate the fares, so I've been booking with Delta and calling the Membership Rewards department for credit to save time/hassle.

This has been working well up until yesterday when I talked to an especially rude rep who wanted to depose me because he had never heard of MR doing this. I didn't appreciate his tone or him insinuating that I was trying to game the system by not booking with AMEX Travel. I asked for a supe, and she was apologetic and friendly, but she kept referring to her giving me the 50% points back as a "one time courtesy." I wasn't impressed with AMEX customer service or their handling of this- usually they are great, but this bears watching going forward.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
I've been having issues lately with the AMEX Travel portal showing different fares (significantly higher) for DL than Delta's own website. I can't get the reps at AMEX Travel to duplicate the fares, so I've been booking with Delta and calling the Membership Rewards department for credit to save time/hassle.

This has been working well up until yesterday when I talked to an especially rude rep who wanted to depose me because he had never heard of MR doing this. I didn't appreciate his tone or him insinuating that I was trying to game the system by not booking with AMEX Travel. I asked for a supe, and she was apologetic and friendly, but she kept referring to her giving me the 50% points back as a "one time courtesy." I wasn't impressed with AMEX customer service or their handling of this- usually they are great, but this bears watching going forward.
While it certainly doesn't excuse the rep's behavior, fact is that booking direct with airline and having MR manually apply credit is in fact an exception. It should not be relied upon as the general rule.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
So I go my Plat biz in the last 4 months and so anticipated having longer than June 1 to use my 50%. But today got snail mail with terms re 35%. Has something changed? I read earlier that those who got the card in these last few months would have until anniversary/AF.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
So I go my Plat biz in the last 4 months ...
Did you upgrade from Gold or apply directly for the Business Platinum?
Old May 24, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Did you upgrade from Gold or apply directly for the Business Platinum?
Both, actually. New app in Feb, upgrade in Mar. I have 2 total. Sounds like maybe the snail mail was for upgrade?
Old May 25, 2017, 6:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The letter mentions the last five digits of the account number. If you have two Business Platinum cards you should receive two letters.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.