Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Platinum 35%, Gold 25%.

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Platinum 35%, Gold 25%.

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 2, 18, 9:41 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: J.Edward
Wiki Link
Effective as soon as June 1, 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund will be reduced to 35%. The effective date of the change will reportedly depend on when the Business Platinum card account was opened. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (50% 35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 500,000.

FAQ (Example has been updated to reflect 35% refund

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • _15,000 Membership Rewards points returned [after 10~14 additional days, IF still eligible for 50% refund]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.015+/point [or 50,000 points = $0.02/point IF still eligible for 50% refund.]

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017. (There is not good data because posting of refunds abruptly slowed from a couple of days to several weeks.)


Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.


Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead.


Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so. IAP sells the first ticket at full price, and collects taxes and fees on the second. Begin reading HERE to understand the successful example. Read forward to at least post 282 to fully understand the arithmetic and tradeoffs versus buying discounted tickets or using mileage awards.
Print Wikipost

Old May 15, 17, 9:58 am
  #556  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: FLL/LAX/YYZ/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 33,328
Originally Posted by lz80521 View Post
4/13 booking has posted 50% rebate but 4/17~4/19 have not. Looks like we can confirm this delay was intentionally set for ~31 days.
That's fine - I will clear out my account at the 50% level before the change. Two can play the same game.
bocastephen is offline  
Old May 15, 17, 12:57 pm
  #557  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 98
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Use ITA to get the flights with booking codes, then call them by phone to re-create the same thing. I need to do that with Chase quite often - any pushback, just keep escalating.

Same issue with me. ALL other airlines $741/pp; Delta prices at $2689/pp on booking screen. (Other airlines include code-shares on DL metal). Booking page drops to $1589/pp, still double all others. ITA/kayak/delta.com show $741/pp on Delta.

I am currently on a "27 minutes wait" for Platinum Travel. Even if they can see the flights for $741/pp on Delta (my selected airline), I KNOW that they will demand $40/pp as a booking fee.

I'm trying my hardest to drain both mine and my wife's MR accounts to zero and they are making it really hard.

Amex is playing games for sure. I would not put it past them that they are purposefully increasing the cost of flights in Econ for your airline of choice just to not have to give you back 50%. BS
dcrombie is offline  
Old May 15, 17, 1:17 pm
  #558  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 98
Originally Posted by dcrombie View Post
Same issue with me. ALL other airlines $741/pp; Delta prices at $2689/pp on booking screen. (Other airlines include code-shares on DL metal). Booking page drops to $1589/pp, still double all others. ITA/kayak/delta.com show $741/pp on Delta.

I am currently on a "27 minutes wait" for Platinum Travel. Even if they can see the flights for $741/pp on Delta (my selected airline), I KNOW that they will demand $40/pp as a booking fee.

I'm trying my hardest to drain both mine and my wife's MR accounts to zero and they are making it really hard.

Amex is playing games for sure. I would not put it past them that they are purposefully increasing the cost of flights in Econ for your airline of choice just to not have to give you back 50%. BS
After ONLY 18 minutes holding, Amex Travel quoted me the exact same pricing on the phone. She could not tell me why the pricing was so much more than all the competing sites (including the airline directly). She placed me on hold to speak with her supervisor, and after 3 minutes holding, the line went dead.
dcrombie is offline  
Old May 15, 17, 1:28 pm
  #559  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: LIT
Programs: Blinged Out
Posts: 516
Had this issue happen last week when booking travel. I booked through DL and, once it had posted, called AMEX to speak to a MR representative. They credited the flights and told me it was stil eligible for the 50% PWP.
SeaHawg is offline  
Old May 15, 17, 1:44 pm
  #560  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 4,175
did you get a "Congratulations! Your flight redemption qualifies for the 50% Airline Bonus" email?
Colin is offline  
Old May 15, 17, 1:59 pm
  #561  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 98
Originally Posted by SeaHawg View Post
Had this issue happen last week when booking travel. I booked through DL and, once it had posted, called AMEX to speak to a MR representative. They credited the flights and told me it was stil eligible for the 50% PWP.
Called and spoke to to a CSR at Biz Plat line. She heard me out, transferred me to a rep at Amex Travel. Nice guy, but it took him punching in the entire itinerary to finally say "OH - well, our website isn't working today. We're experiencing a "code-red"". I mean - really? An hour of my day and all I got was " oh ya - our website doesn't work".

I'd book on DL direct, but I have about 1% chance of getting Amex to use pay with points after the fact. Thanks for the suggestion though. Glad it worked for you.
dcrombie is offline  
Old May 15, 17, 3:14 pm
  #562  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Posts: 748
Originally Posted by dcrombie View Post
Called and spoke to to a CSR at Biz Plat line. She heard me out, transferred me to a rep at Amex Travel. Nice guy, but it took him punching in the entire itinerary to finally say "OH - well, our website isn't working today. We're experiencing a "code-red"". I mean - really? An hour of my day and all I got was " oh ya - our website doesn't work".

I'd book on DL direct, but I have about 1% chance of getting Amex to use pay with points after the fact. Thanks for the suggestion though. Glad it worked for you.
Always ask for the exception *before* booking directly.

I'm batting 100% getting points taken and rebated after the fact.
thexfactor is offline  
Old May 15, 17, 6:22 pm
  #563  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: LIT
Programs: Blinged Out
Posts: 516
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
did you get a "Congratulations! Your flight redemption qualifies for the 50% Airline Bonus" email?
I believe so, but I've gotten several of those, so not sure on those specific flights.
SeaHawg is offline  
Old May 16, 17, 8:36 pm
  #564  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AUS
Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond
Posts: 305
Did anyone make new bookings after 05/14? Just wondering if 50% rebates posts faster now.
lz80521 is offline  
Old May 16, 17, 9:04 pm
  #565  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 470
Originally Posted by lz80521 View Post
Did anyone make new bookings after 05/14? Just wondering if 50% rebates posts faster now.
Not exactly the data point you're looking for, but I made a booking on 5/3 and still no rebate.
Moorea is offline  
Old May 16, 17, 11:42 pm
  #566  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 183
Points deducted on 4-15-17 and the rebate showed up on 5-16-17 so 31 days after
extremeromance is offline  
Old May 17, 17, 1:22 pm
  #567  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Posts: 2,217
Can you book tickets on your preferred airline coach and get 50% points back on tickets that you book for someone else without the cardholder on the reservation?

Can you book tickets on any business class and get 50% points back on tickets that you book for someone else without the cardholder on the reservation?

Can you book business class tickets without electing a preferred airline and get the 50% back even before picking an airline?
aubreyfromwheaton is offline  
Old May 17, 17, 1:36 pm
  #568  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Miami
Programs: AA 9 Million Miler, UA 1K, DL Plat, SPG Plat, Amex Centurion
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton View Post
Can you book tickets on your preferred airline coach and get 50% points back on tickets that you book for someone else without the cardholder on the reservation?

Can you book tickets on any business class and get 50% points back on tickets that you book for someone else without the cardholder on the reservation?

Can you book business class tickets without electing a preferred airline and get the 50% back even before picking an airline?
yes
yes
yes
ariholland is offline  
Old May 17, 17, 3:00 pm
  #569  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 32
Does anyone know if the spend counts towards a signup bonus even though it's later credited? The T&C state *"Eligible purchases" are purchases of goods and services minus returns and other credits. but never define "other credits" and I believe the $200 spend on airlines fees that is credited is counted.
asur is offline  
Old May 17, 17, 8:05 pm
  #570  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 50
Whats to say this won't be increased again down the road? It wouldn't be the first time Amex increased or decreased the refund on this card. At one time the personal platinum had a refund as well. They would be wise to bring the 35% refund to the personal version to compete with the CSR since that is a personal card.
mjgoldstein9 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread