Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:35 am

The agent said I would be getting a credit of $400 on the card, so I guess we'll see. I'll let you know.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 5:55 am

I booked a first class ticket on not my airline of choice on the 13th and still no 50% points back. Does it usually take this long?
Old Dec 17, 2016, 1:52 pm
formerly oyalkut

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by compddd
Has anyone ever had to cancel a pay with points ticket? How long did it take to get the points refunded?
I just did it last week. Got the refund in $$ (48 hrs or so to go from Pending to Posted), but had to call in and ask MR dept to refund points instead of $$. That was done instantaneously while I was on the phone with them.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 2:55 pm

merry christmas

Last edited by Colin; Dec 17, 2016 at 3:58 pm
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:07 pm
formerly oyalkut

Originally Posted by Colin
is what you are saying that if you had not intervened, the net result would have been an AMEX statement credit valuing each MR point at $0.02?

$1,000 Airline Ticket
($1,000) Statement Credit for for AMEX MR pay with points
($1,000) Reversal of original Airline Ticket when ticket cancelled
($1,000) net AMEX statement credit

(100,000) AMEX MR redeemed
50,000 50% refund of MR redeemed points
(50,000) net AMEX MR redeemed
Yes for the first portion (net Amex statement credit).

50% points refund didn't post for me because I accidentally ordered a ticket on a non-designated airline, which is why I wanted to cancel it in the first place. It's plausible to think it would have worked out as you described, but I'm unable to confirm.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:25 pm

merry christmas

Last edited by Colin; Dec 17, 2016 at 3:59 pm
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:34 pm
formerly oyalkut

this 50% refund benefit days are numbered
I hope you are wrong. At the end of next year I will be making a decision between which card to close - Chase Sapphire reserve, or Amex Business Platinum. Today Amex seems like a keeper for me, based primarily on 50% redemption benefits. If that goes away, I'll be leaning towards Chase for their travel protection and 3X on all travel and all dining. I'm sure I'm not the only one doing this comparison.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
this 50% refund benefit days are numbered
Reasons?
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:49 pm

maybe we should delete our above 5 posts
Old Dec 17, 2016, 11:38 pm

What is the process for buying a ticket and getting 50% back in points? Book a regular points booking through the Amex travel site in my account and they'll credit half the points?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:07 am

I booked a first class ticket on not my airline of choice on the 13th and still no 50% points back. Something must be wrong, any idea what I should do?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by compddd
I booked a first class ticket on not my airline of choice on the 13th and still no 50% points back. Something must be wrong, any idea what I should do?
If it's that straightforward I would call AmEx. Sounds like it's a possible glitch.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 11:30 am

They are going to hit me with the "it takes 6-8 weeks" spiel I imagine.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 11:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Superorb
What is the process for buying a ticket
If you have a BUSINESS Platinum Card read here:

https://travel.americanexpress.com/t...-paywithpoints

Review the thread and the terms to verify that the transaction will be eligible for a points refund. You will see NOTHING about a refund during the booking process.

50% Airline Bonus Disclosure
To use Pay with Points, you must charge your eligible airfare purchase through American Express Travel to a Membership Rewards® program-enrolled American Express® Card. Points will be debited from your Membership Rewards account, and credit for corresponding dollar amount will be issued to the American Express Card account used. If points redeemed do not cover entire amount, the balance of purchase price will remain on the American Express Card account. Points must be used at the time of booking. Pay with Points requires a minimum redemption of 5,000 points.

Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (50% Airline Bonus). For First or Business class flights on a Card Member's selected qualifying airline, the Card Member will still receive only 5 extra points for every 10 points redeemed. Card Member must select a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can select the qualifying airline. The airline you select for the 50% Airline Bonus and the $200 Airline Fee Credit must be the same. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of your Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline.

If you select Spirit Airlines, Southwest Airlines, or AirTran Airways, to receive your 50% Airline Bonus you must call Business Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-553-9497. A flight booked as part of a travel package or booked with the American Express U.S. Representative Travel Network is not eligible for the 50% Airline Bonus. In addition, to be eligible to receive extra points, Card account(s) must not be in default at the time of extra points fulfillment. If booking is canceled, the extra points will be deducted from your Membership Rewards account. Extra points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account approximately 6-10 weeks after charges appear on your billing statement. See membershiprewards.com/terms for Membership Rewards program terms and conditions. This 50% Airline Bonus is the maximum Membership Rewards points you can get back for Pay with Points on flights booked with American Express Travel. Bonus ID: A6ZB.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 12:19 pm

Amex 50% back confusion will hurt Amex

After reading this thread those capital one commercials do not seem so silly anymore. Prior I thought it was chase and Citi that were going to hurt Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.