Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:16 am

This is the opposite of usual, but does anyone know how to book a United basic economy fare on Amex Travel? I'm traveling a short distance with no carry on, and basic economy is half the price. However, the Amex site only shows regular fare. I remember calling in once before, but the agent apparently couldn't select a fare class(and didn't even know what basic economy was), but has anyone had success getting a specific fare class by calling in?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by creampiggy
I got my Business Plat approved May 2017. So I get 50% for a year.

Does anyone know if 500k miles annual limit applies to my card for the first year or not? Thanks!
Does not.

Originally Posted by adeebm
This is the opposite of usual, but does anyone know how to book a United basic economy fare on Amex Travel? I'm traveling a short distance with no carry on, and basic economy is half the price. However, the Amex site only shows regular fare. I remember calling in once before, but the agent apparently couldn't select a fare class(and didn't even know what basic economy was), but has anyone had success getting a specific fare class by calling in?

I don't believe they can book BE.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:14 pm

Are there any new (ie. after the program change) DPs on cancellations within the 24 hour window?

Would a refund be made in dollars or MR points? Would one still receive the 50% bonus 31 days later?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: UA 1k Hyatt Globalist
Sorry for my English.

"With the 50% Airline Bonus benefit, you can get up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.‡"

Is that mean I can redeem 1 million MR and get 500,000 bonus points back per calendar year?

I know some of the cards down to 35%. My card opened last November.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by williamqian2014
Sorry for my English.

"With the 50% Airline Bonus benefit, you can get up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.‡"

Is that mean I can redeem 1 million MR and get 500,000 bonus points back per calendar year?

Yes your understanding is correct
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by williamqian2014
Sorry for my English.

Where did you find this information on the 500,000 limit?

I had the impression that if one applied the card before May 31, 2017, there would not be such limit on bonus points. See also thexfactor's reply to my question on post 752.

Can anyone clarify? Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:58 pm

I had the impression that if one applied the card before May 31, 2017, there would not be such limit on bonus points. See also thexfactor's reply to my question on post 752.

Can anyone clarify? Thanks!
It is in the "BENEFITS TERMS" for your Business Platinum card.

"Business Platinum Card Members will receive 3.5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points through American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus), up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year, per each Membership Rewards account. For First or Business class flights on a Card Member's selected qualifying airline, the Card Member will still receive only 3.5 extra points for every 10 points redeemed."
Old Sep 2, 2017, 4:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

I had the impression that if one applied the card before May 31, 2017, there would not be such limit on bonus points.
Originally Posted by JATR4
It is in the "BENEFITS TERMS" for your Business Platinum card.
creampiggy is asking if the 500,000 point cap applies to accounts which are still eligible for the 50% refund. To answer this definitively we would probably need a copy of the previous terms.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by DaveH
Both before and after. The personal platinum has always worked for this benefit, provided it shares a MR account with the elligible Biz Plat card.
Originally Posted by dukerau
Yep. I just got the rebate for a points redemption in July for which I used my personal Platinum. Also, I closed my personal Platinum between using it for redemption and the rebate posting, and rebate still posted without issue.
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Thanks to all for the reassurance. So now for the most up-to-date DP:

Paid with personal Platinum and now, 31 days later precisely, received the rebate.

Well, the 0.35 portion.
Were these online or phone agent bookings?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by frudd38
Were these online or phone agent bookings?
Mine was online.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Wanted to throw out a new data point:

Just had the full 50% rebate post this morning (day 31).

for the last few months I (along with most it seems) was getting 35% on day 31 and then the remaining 15% 7-8 days later.

This would be a nice adjustment on AMEX's side.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:15 am

Yes, rebates are now posting as lump-sum 50% for bookings after about 7/28 (perhaps a bit earlier).
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:35 am

I am curious if there are any recent data points for using this with Southwest. It appears that the last posts in this thread are from April, prior to the June changes taking effect. Is there any way around the $39 booking fee, since Southwest can't be booked through Amex Travel online?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
I have a question, sorry if this has been asked prior in the thread...

I will be receiving 50k point rebate at the end of September, my 1st car anniversary is ~OCtober 10.

If I spend my 50k points on an eligibile 50% back purchase on say September 30, will I get 35% or 50% on October 30 (initial purchase before 50% end but 50% rebate would be after my card anniversary).

thanks
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by bta15
I have a question, sorry if this has been asked prior in the thread...

I will be receiving 50k point rebate at the end of September, my 1st car anniversary is ~OCtober 10.

If I spend my 50k points on an eligibile 50% back purchase on say September 30, will I get 35% or 50% on October 30 (initial purchase before 50% end but 50% rebate would be after my card anniversary).

thanks
I think you will get 50% rebate, unless you cancel your card before receiving the rebate which I don't known if it still will be posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.