Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Yes, this is how I do all of my trips - I buy F and use points to buy down the difference to cheap Y, and get half back. A HUGE incentive to direct my spending to Amex and away from Chase.
This^

I have been shifting spend and building my AMEX points balance like mad because I suspected that once the travel bloggers and churners saw this deal, they'd try and game the system - which they seem to have. Between one lifetime bonus per card and slowing the rate of credited miles, AMEX seems to be weeding out the churners - which is totally fine by me. Some of the posts on the retention thread are comical - Why would AMEX want to retain someone who spent $5K per year just to obtain a spend bonus? It makes no sense.

There has to be a way for AMEX to differentiate between a churner versus someone who is in great standing and runs a lot of organic spend across their card. I don't know what the limit is, but if you're spending more than $25K-$50K per year on a premium card or whatever number AMEX deems significant, they should credit and/or post MR points more quickly- as opposed to a 6-10 week hold.

Personally, I like to keep around 600K MR on hand, but it looks like I'll have to up it to 1Mil+ in order to book intl Bus/F now, but the rebate is still well worth it.

As a side note, anytime points are offered for airline purchases, like the recent AF offer, in which AF doesn't sell a gift card, take the offer, book fully cancel-able/refundable tickets as far out on the schedule as possible, then roll those into one you will actually use. It is the more scrupulous way to take advantage of a great deal, and the powers that be at AMEX may continue to offer deals like that if they're not so badly abused by short-term churners/MS-ers.

Last edited by SeaHawg; Apr 23, 2017 at 3:35 pm
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:06 pm

Yes, this is how I do all of my trips - I buy F and use points to buy down the difference to cheap Y, and get half back. A HUGE incentive to direct my spending to Amex and away from Chase.
Sorry, I must be dense tonight. What's the advantage of paying a small portion in cash, versus just using points for the whole thing?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rbw5t
Sorry, I must be dense tonight. What's the advantage of paying a small portion in cash, versus just using points for the whole thing?
Because I don't want to burn through my points balance...my goal, which I've been doing for awhile with UR points, is just use them as a buffer between coach, which is not getting any cheaper, and domestic F, which is - the net cost of MR points with 50% back is much lower than the United miles I would need to upgrade given the upgrade space is never available anyway. For me, it's much better deal and with the double PQM earnings on domestic F, I can fly half as much to get 1K and stop worrying about upgrades that never clear.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:06 pm

burn through the amount of points you want to spend for the next year with full pay with points bookings via AMEX, then use cash for the remainder booking directly with airline.

there are some advantages booking directly with an airline including better luck improving flights after a schedule change and more points earned in JetBlue.

some people aren't good with money i suppose and perceive a modest discount on every ticket as more valuable than the same total savings across a smaller handful of tickets.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Yes, I am not understanding the using points for just a portion of the ticket either. I'm not saying there's not an advantage, I'd like to know if there is, I just don't see it yet (I could be dense too).

I've been using my MR points w/ 50% back as long as the ticket is equal or less cost vs. booking directly and figure I will do this until I exhaust my points.

I'm glad I just hoarded MR points for so many years, as they didn't seem to be a very good value compared to the 2.64% cash back I was getting on a Visa. However once the 1.5X plus 50% back came along, I now value MR points at 3 cents each for purchases of 5K and above. This was a good move and has made me shift some spending, AMEX.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tangfish
Yes, I am not understanding the using points for just a portion of the ticket either. I'm not saying there's not an advantage, I'd like to know if there is, I just don't see it yet (I could be dense too).

I've been using my MR points w/ 50% back as long as the ticket is equal or less cost vs. booking directly and figure I will do this until I exhaust my points.

I'm glad I just hoarded MR points for so many years, as they didn't seem to be a very good value compared to the 2.64% cash back I was getting on a Visa. However once the 1.5X plus 50% back came along, I now value MR points at 3 cents each for purchases of 5K and above. This was a good move and has made me shift some spending, AMEX.
Everyone is different - for me, I want to maintain a large float of points so I have them available in case an opportunity arises where I need to use more of them for a trip. Also, I am evaluating them in a different way. United miles are earned at 1m/$ via credit card, and redeemed at 20,000 each way for most upgrades, which rely on usually non-existent R space.

If I buy a domestic F ticket using all points, the net cost to me after my 50% refund is about 25,000 MR - the same as just getting a F award ticket. That's no advantage to me. If I do the buy-down with partial points and partial $, I am paying no more than a coach ticket on my chosen flight, and my "upgrade cost" to F is using generally 12-15,000 MR which is a significant savings vs using United miles, and now I don't need R space for the upgrade, and can earn double PQM and incrementally more RDM.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:29 am

Everyone is different - for me, I want to maintain a large float of points so I have them available in case an opportunity arises where I need to use more of them for a trip. Also, I am evaluating them in a different way. United miles are earned at 1m/$ via credit card, and redeemed at 20,000 each way for most upgrades, which rely on usually non-existent R space.

If I buy a domestic F ticket using all points, the net cost to me after my 50% refund is about 25,000 MR - the same as just getting a F award ticket. That's no advantage to me. If I do the buy-down with partial points and partial $, I am paying no more than a coach ticket on my chosen flight, and my "upgrade cost" to F is using generally 12-15,000 MR which is a significant savings vs using United miles, and now I don't need R space for the upgrade, and can earn double PQM and incrementally more RDM.
It works for you, even if just psychologically, so that's all that's important, but I can understand the confusion.

If you have a ticket that is $300 in coach and $500 in F, and you use 10,000 points plus $300 cash, you can certainly look at it as having "upgraded" for 10,000 points. Or, you could just use 25,000 points for the ticket and then put $300 in the bank. The $300 in the bank preserves all the same opportunities as preserving the 15,000 points. And more. Points are awesome. Money is better. Especially since you don't need twice as much money to buy a ticket and then wait for half of it back, like you do with Amex points used to buy tickets.

The only, I suppose, other argument is if you want to hoard the points waiting for a transfer to miles opportunity where you can get better than 2 cents per point. But it seems to me that's a recipe to get caught in the switches time and time again. Best to just value points and act accordingly. If you're saving points for getting better than 2 cents per point in the future, then redeeming any now -- even 10,000 -- is inefficient.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
<snip>
If I buy a domestic F ticket using all points, the net cost to me after my 50% refund is about 25,000 MR - the same as just getting a F award ticket. That's no advantage to me.
How is using all points "no advantage" over a straight mileage award? When using all MR points you would still at least earn PQM/PQDs, no? Whereas with an award you would not. Now that difference might not be enough for you, but it doesn't seem like "no" advantage.

Regards
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
How is using all points "no advantage" over a straight mileage award? When using all MR points you would still at least earn PQM/PQDs, no? Whereas with an award you would not. Now that difference might not be enough for you, but it doesn't seem like "no" advantage.

Regards
I meant a mileage award is of no advantage to me when compared using fewer MR points and gaining the benefit of bonus PQM/RDM and not having to worry about R space.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:36 pm

some people don't get math. you're not alone.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
some people don't get math. you're not alone.

Math has nothing to do with it. Everyone is entitled to their own preference for how to use their points based on fluctuating and/or projected travel patterns. Your preference is not a one-size-fits-all instruction for everyone else.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:10 pm

Still no rebate posted for a purchase made on 4-15, has anyone's points posted yet?? There goes my idea of buying another ticket right after.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by extremeromance
Still no rebate posted for a purchase made on 4-15, has anyone's points posted yet?? There goes my idea of buying another ticket right after.
Try calling MR and see if they'll apply it manually
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:54 pm
esf

Doing business with Amex has become much more uncertain and riskier over time. They coin a new customer unfriendly move or a new barrier to redeem every now and then, which decrease the value of their rewards program every time. The devaluing impact of these moves is reaching a point that is cancelling out all the effort Amex made to improve MR program and specifically Platinum cards. After a short affair with Amex, I am starting to contemplate getting back to my ex'es, Citi and Chase.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:56 pm

don't let the door . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.