Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by mia
This isn't complicated. To book a $1,000 ticket you must have 100,000 points, but the net redemption will be only 50,000 points. This means you must have twice as many points at time of redemption versus the amount implied by the $0.02 valuation, which is based on the net amount. This is an excellent marketing choice by American Express because it rewards engaged spenders more than one-off churners.
Actually, it is a little complicated. I mean, you get it so it seems simple to you but as made clear by the back and forth I'm having with Troopers, I can see why people get confused. But, yeah, I guess those who always have a surplus of points will like the feature, but to me I'm starting to think it's not worth having the business platinum after the first year because the effective valuation is actually still under $.02/point especially if they start delaying the 50 percent back. If the business platinum is your only platinum card and you use the 10 gogo passes and get into centurian lounges then sure, it's a keeper, but not because of the almost-mythical "2 cent redemptions." I think you'll end up having people who drain their accounts for 2 cent redemptions and then when they hit 100,000 points or less will start to notice that the gymnastics they need to do to make it work aren't great and far less flexible than, say, a barclays arrival or whatever. I suppose if all your expenses are over $5k or you're prepared to use the card in conjunction with an everyday on which you put over 30 transactions it can still make sense
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lkar
...I think you'll end up having people who drain their accounts for 2 cent redemptions and then when they hit 100,000 points or less will start to notice that the gymnastics...
Agreed. Part of managing market share is pushing less desirable customers to your competitors. I think American Express is making a choice to pursue higher spending business clients, and leave the opportunists for other issuers.

American Express practice often differs from their published policies, typically in the customers' favor. In this example we have a published policy which says that points will be refunded in weeks, several reports that they are actually refunded in days, and one report of a reversal. This feature is more valuable if the refund is fast. I need more data before I can form an opinion on how valuable this feature really is.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:23 pm

Actually, it is a little complicated. I mean, you get it so it seems simple to you but as made clear by the back and forth I'm having with Troopers, I can see why people get confused.
It is actually quite simple...sorry, it's your understanding/statements that is confusing me.

This new 50% MR credit is a benefit...it does NOT require more MR points than before to book the same flight(s). Nothing has changed to the number of MR points required to book a flight. I don't see any negative impact.

Going to back to your previous post, the number of pax is irrelevant.

But, yeah, I guess those who always have a surplus of points will like the feature,...
Count me in. I like the new feature as I continue to spend on this card.

I suppose if all your expenses are over $5k or you're prepared to use the card in conjunction with an everyday on which you put over 30 transactions it can still make sense
Why expenses over $5k (except for the additional MR bonus for new cardholders)? again
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:36 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Troopers
Why expenses over $5k
Business Platinum cards now earn 1.5 points per dollar on any individual transaction of $5,000 or more. This is a new standard feature of the Business Platinum. It is patterned after a feature which was first seen in the 250,000 point new account offer.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:42 pm

This new 50% MR credit is a benefit...it does NOT require more MR points than before to book the same flight(s). Nothing has changed to the number of MR points required to book a flight. I don't see any negative impact.
Nobody (at least nobody sane) would redeem 1 MR for 1 cent of travel. Paying with points was a non-benefit except for those who truly don't care how they use their miles. The number of points has definitely changed for how many MR points can be used to book a flight. It's fewer now, and the question I was addressing is how do we compare this new option to other uses of MR points (such as, for example, transferring them to singapore and booking united flights).

The ability to get "half" one's points back, now makes it potentially feasible. The question that I was addressing is how feasible and how should they be valued now? More than 1 cent per point, for sure, but less than 2 and, more fundamentally, if the delay in getting points is going to be longer than a few days, a lot less than 2 cents per point.

The spouse point was just an illustration at one reason why I think it's a mistake for those who do not earn unlimited points to claim it's 2 cents per point, when comparing, for example, to a card like barclay arrival.

But, yes, if your point is that for the unthinking consumers who routinely redeemed 1 MR point for 1 cent in travel in the past, yes, this is a smoking hot boondoggle. For those who read this board and would never consider doing something like that, the question is, "do I want to get a $450/year card to take advantage of this new benefit"?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Business Platinum cards now earn 1.5 points per dollar on any individual transaction of $5,000 or more. This is a new standard feature of the Business Platinum. It is patterned after a feature which was first seen in the 250,000 point new account offer.
Doh, how I miss that?! Didn't know that. Thanks mia, you rock.

Nobody (at least nobody sane) would redeem 1 MR for 1 cent of travel. Paying with points was a non-benefit except for those who truly don't care how they use their miles. The number of points has definitely changed for how many MR points can be used to book a flight. It's fewer now, and the question I was addressing is how do we compare this new option to other uses of MR points (such as, for example, transferring them to singapore and booking united flights).
There are numerous of FTs who are sane and do redeem at 1MR @ a cent. Not everyone here is a churner, opportunistic, or a points maximizer.

The fewer number of (net) points needed is a good thing.

No doubt, there are situations where award booking via MR transfer may be more "valuable" than pay with points. And vice versa.

But, yes, if your point is that for the unthinking consumers who routinely redeemed 1 MR point for 1 cent in travel in the past, yes, this is a smoking hot boondoggle. For those who read this board and would never consider doing something like that, the question is, "do I want to get a $450/year card to take advantage of this new benefit"?
I think you are discrediting those that redeem 1 MR at a penny are unthinking. Sometimes it's a matter of circumstances, or sometimes a matter of convenience, or sometimes they earn more MR than they can spend and donate MR.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:04 pm

I think you are discrediting those that redeem 1 MR at a penny are unthinking. Sometimes it's a matter of circumstances, or sometimes a matter of convenience, or sometimes they earn more MR than they can spend and donate MR.
Well, I shouldn't be critical. It's their money and their spend, so you're right that I shouldn't be flippant about how they want to use their points.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
It looks like I am the only one effected by the point reversal?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:17 am
mia

Originally Posted by flyinghigh77
It looks like I am the only one effected ...
How recently had you opened the Business Platinum card?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:29 am

I made a pay with points redemption last week. Rebate to my MR balance posted two days later, no reversal. Card has been open since January.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:09 pm

Yes I have checked several times and no points reversal yet, your report does sound concerning however we need more data points to come up with a definite answer on what Amex intends to do on these point rebates.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Ok, here's my datapoint, such as it is. Redeemed points for a flight on my selected airline and chose the Amex business plat to pay. Points were deducted immediately. Pending charge was placed on the card. About 4 days later, the charge was credited back and the 50 percent points were posted back to my account. The statement closed the next day.

Looking at pending points in my MR account, it looks like I got zero points for the cost of the tickets.
Very interesting. Where do you see the pending points in your MR account, please?

The program would be less attractive for me if we didn't get points for the purchase and using Amex travel.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by DaveH
Very interesting. Where do you see the pending points in your MR account, please?

The program would be less attractive for me if we didn't get points for the purchase and using Amex travel.
You click on "available points" and then the "summary" tab.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:02 am

I also had a Pay with Points redemption, originally paid on my Business Platinum card. Statement just closed and there are no pending points which would reflect the airfare purchase. A bit disappointing but it's not like you earn points with Chase or Citi for paid airfare redemptions either.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I find this thread very confusing.

IIRC, the Open Platinum card had a 20% points back policy, then upped to a 30% PB, and now upped it once again to 50% PB. The redemption benefit keeps getting better while the AF has stayed the same.

I'm not sure why at this point going from a 30% redemption to 50% is cause for so much angst. Unless I'm missing something, the 30% redemption worked the same. The only difference between pre and post 10.6.16 benefit is an increase of 20% to the PB redemption.

I must be in the bullseye of AMEX's targeted customer with their new combo of Biz & Personal Platinum benefits. I upgraded my PRG to the personal platinum as the combined spend for my wife and I with AA is in excess of $50K annually. So the 5X on purchases times the 2X on redemption makes me extremely happy to carry both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.