Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 2:35 pm

tagtag

Last edited by droningwaves; May 30, 2017 at 3:45 pm Reason: editing
Old May 30, 2017, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by droningwaves
Won't American Express travel still have control of the PNR? So how can you rebook the ticket directly with the airline?
No, my airline can control the PNR - actually I can control it using the airline's website for doing any changes and re-issues, but in order to force the fare difference refund back to me as a ETC, I need an agent.

Originally Posted by mia
If you cancel a refundable ticket wouldn't the carrier automatically refund the cost to your card rather than issue a voucher?
I can only speak for my airline, but they will issue a ETC upon request - it's in their best interests to do so vs refunding the cash.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Curious what would happen if you buy a refundable fare using points, receive the 50% rebate, then cancel and refund the ticket many months later - after the refund is processed, what does Amex do - refund all of the points used to buy the ticket, or just issue a cash credit to the statement? I am asking because it would be a good bonus if they gave the 50% rebate, then 8 months later after refunding the ticket, you got the original points back as well. That might be past the point they could or would audit the transactions to take back the 50% rebate after the refund.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL Silver
Thought I'd add my experience today. All Delta fares I search on Amextravel are DOUBLE the price found everywhere else. I spoke with CS at Amextravel.com and Platinum travel and both were unapologetic. It really feels like this is intentional to save from more losses. It's unfortunate that they are willing to sacrifice customer satisfaction and their reputation to do so.

A few months ago they offered to waive booking fees and even credit the 50% manually after booking on the airline website. They were shocked when the Amex price was different than the airline price. Today, it was, "What you see is what you get?" Terrible.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by staze
Thought I'd add my experience today. All Delta fares I search on Amextravel are DOUBLE the price found everywhere else. I spoke with CS at Amextravel.com and Platinum travel and both were unapologetic. It really feels like this is intentional to save from more losses. It's unfortunate that they are willing to sacrifice customer satisfaction and their reputation to do so.

A few months ago they offered to waive booking fees and even credit the 50% manually after booking on the airline website. They were shocked when the Amex price was different than the airline price. Today, it was, "What you see is what you get?" Terrible.
You just need to hang up and call again, or escalate to a manager. They are not authorized to mark-up airline fares - if you can price something on ITA or Google (don't rely on an airline website that might show a special webfare), that is the fare that every travel agent should be able to sell.

While arguing endlessly yesterday about their unwillingness to find me a refundable fare, I had one agent tell me to book on the airline website and then call back to have the points used for the purchase, but it would be $1=1.67 MR instead of $1=1 MR. Needless to say, I continued my own research, found what I wanted and was able to price it online. If my idea outlined in my last post above actually works, then I will be able to stick my foot where it belongs in American Express I am getting tired of their nonsense.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Curious what would happen if you buy a refundable fare using points, receive the 50% rebate, then cancel and refund the ticket many months later - after the refund is processed, what does Amex do - refund all of the points used to buy the ticket, or just issue a cash credit to the statement? I am asking because it would be a good bonus if they gave the 50% rebate, then 8 months later after refunding the ticket, you got the original points back as well. That might be past the point they could or would audit the transactions to take back the 50% rebate after the refund.
I bought a nonrefundable ticket with points in October and then there was a schedule change and I got a refund. Amex credited the cost of the tickets, not the points. In my case, I had to initiate the refund through the airline. I don't know if it would have been different if I had a refund situation that could be initiated through Amex travel.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Blinged Out

They pulled this crap with me and tried to play dumb. I reminded them that it's 2017 and there is this magical thing called the internet where a simple Google search yields thread upon thread about how AMEX Travel was having issues with DL fare pricing. Eventually, I escalated it to a manager and achieved resolution on the spot.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL Silver
Thanks bocastephen for the suggestions. I ended up finding the same flight for a few thousand sky miles more than the 50% rebate so I booked directly with Delta while haggling with Amex. I wish I had the same patience as you and SeaHawg.

What upsets me most is the intent behind it. The Plat Travel agent was shocked that the price difference after she saw the flights were empty. She transferred me to the "airline booking" department and relayed all relevant flight information. That agent started slowly asking me all the flight details all over again before I cut her off," Excuse me, the previous agent said she provided you with all the specific flight details..." He reply, "Oh yeah, right." Seriously?!? Between the, "The prices are what the prices are" attitude, the shock of the price difference on an empty flight and the obvious attempts to frustrate and delay the process - their attempts to dissuade availing this perk in it's final days are blatantly obvious.

Unfortunately I value their other benefits too much and won't be threatening to cancel my card. I'll probably still end up booking travel with the 35% rebate and be happy with it. Thanks to everyone here for the support and allowing me to vent.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Thought I'd add my experience today. A
I had issues with amex.com recognizing DL G fares. Rep told me it was a PE fare. I requested that she investigate further and they told me they could book with $39 fee. They were unwilling to waive the fee and told me I could book on delta.com and request points be applied.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
...... told me I could book on delta.com and request points be applied.
Has anyone done this and noticed they took 1.67 points per dollar when redeeming manually after the fact?
Old May 31, 2017, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I would not count on that happening. After 31 days of waiting, just got my 50% rebate and just booked another ticket immediately. They will refund you in $credit of what the original points covered... 2% as of now, tomorrow YMMV. I would have lived happily with the 50% with 500k limit/yr but will have to go back to getting great value with ana (88k rt in J to europe) and maybe some AP. Good luck.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:23 pm

For folks who are grandfathered in the 50% pay with points for 1 year, on your amex benefits page are you seeing 50% or 35%?
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...fits/view-all/

I'm seeing 35% even though I signed up in November (and SO in January, seeing the same).

Also, previously on amextravel when booking a flight there used to be a little icon saying "eligible for 50% bonus when pay with points". That icon is no longer there for any business/first class flight I try. How can we be 100% sure that we will get points back if we pay with points?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nomii
.... How can we be 100% sure ...
We cannot be certain that the automated system will refund 50%, but if you saved the letter from American Express you will prevail when you request a manual adjustment after the 35% posts.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by mia
We cannot be certain that the automated system will refund 50%, but if you saved the letter from American Express you will prevail when you request a manual adjustment after the 35% posts.
Is there a pdf/scan of the letter on the internets somewhere? I called and the agent confirmed the grandfathered exception but ever since the 100k clawbacks I don't trust them. (Also the agent first thought I was asking about my grandfather's credit card)
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
DP:

Qualifying redemption - 5/3
50% rebate posted - 6/3

Looks like 31 days is holding. I made another redemption last week, so I'll keep an eye on whether the time for the rebate to post reduces now that we're in the 35% land.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.