Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Original Plum card AF now $350 - can't convert to new Plum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador

Sincere apologies if this topic has been covered - I've done my research here and am looking for a quick sanity check before I cancel/apply for a new card.

I have an original Plum card issued when they were first introduced. The only difference between my Plum card and the "new" Plum card (the one currently shown on AmEx's site) is the annual fee ($350 for mine vs $250 for the new one) and the ability to earn a 2% discount vs a 1.5% discount. For me, the math is fairly simple and I no longer spend enough on the Plum to justify the .5% discount at the $100/year AF difference.

I called AmEx to inquire about the new fee - which was just accessed to my account - because I had missed any literature and T&C that came in the mail regarding the new AF. The CSR I spoke to offered to let me swap to the new Plum card with the $250 AF, but then changed her tune when her supervisor said that it wasn't possible and that I would need to cancel my card and re-apply for the new Plum in order to get the new version. As has been covered on this forum in the past, the Plum also cannot be product-changed into anything else. At this point, I'd much rather have the Business Platinum at $450 for the GoGo passes and the $200 airline credit vs the $350 Plum. AmEx told me that the only way to accomplish any change on the Plum is to cancel and re-apply. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel as though I'm being punished for my loyalty to the card

I tried asking for a good signup bonus for the Business Platinum but was first told that they wouldn't even give me the 40k for 5k spend in 90 days bonus (the CSR backpeddled when he realised that he had made an error).

I'm just looking for tips/suggestions from anyone who has been through this in the past - is there anything else I can do here? I don't really want to cancel and re-apply.

Thanks!

Last edited by immaculate; Apr 18, 2015 at 8:11 pm
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AS MVP Gold 75k, AA Platinum, SPG/Marriott Platinum
No good answer here, but to cancel

Same situation as yours I went through last year but I was fortunate enough to get a 100k invite for the Platinum card in the mail, so we decided to cancel the Plum card while applying for the Platinum card 1st (to make sure we would have a card to use before cancelling).

Bottom line, the result was great since we got a system approval on the Platinum card and haven't missed the Plum card much since (although the 60 days to pay was nice at times, the perks the Platinum card gives way outweigh that perk).

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by immaculate
Sincere apologies if this topic has been covered - I've done my research here and am looking for a quick sanity check before I cancel/apply for a new card.

I have an original Plum card issued when they were first introduced. The only difference between my Plum card and the "new" Plum card (the one currently shown on AmEx's site) is the annual fee ($350 for mine vs $250 for the new one) and the ability to earn a 2% discount vs a 1.5% discount. For me, the math is fairly simple and I no longer spend enough on the Plum to justify the .5% discount at the $100/year AF difference.

I called AmEx to inquire about the new fee - which was just accessed to my account - because I had missed any literature and T&C that came in the mail regarding the new AF. The CSR I spoke to offered to let me swap to the new Plum card with the $250 AF, but then changed her tune when her supervisor said that it wasn't possible and that I would need to cancel my card and re-apply for the new Plum in order to get the new version. As has been covered on this forum in the past, the Plum also cannot be product-changed into anything else. At this point, I'd much rather have the Business Platinum at $450 for the GoGo passes and the $200 airline credit vs the $350 Plum. AmEx told me that the only way to accomplish any change on the Plum is to cancel and re-apply. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel as though I'm being punished for my loyalty to the card

I tried asking for a good signup bonus for the Business Platinum but was first told that they wouldn't even give me the 40k for 5k spend in 90 days bonus (the CSR backpeddled when he realised that he had made an error).

I'm just looking for tips/suggestions from anyone who has been through this in the past - is there anything else I can do here? I don't really want to cancel and re-apply.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.