Card stolen before activation

Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Card stolen before activation

So I'm freaking out a bit...my PRG Amex was stolen before I received it (either at my apartment or elsewhere in the same city) and used to charge $7k today at Chanel.

Can anyone explain to me how this person could've activated the card? I live alone and there's no conceivable way I can think of how this card could've been activated without me.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by sedubby
So I'm freaking out a bit...my PRG Amex was stolen before I received it (either at my apartment or elsewhere in the same city) and used to charge $7k today at Chanel.

Can anyone explain to me how this person could've activated the card? I live alone and there's no conceivable way I can think of how this card could've been activated without me.
I don't recall whether AMEX offers this option, but other credit card issuers offer an on-line card activation option. The person fraudulently using your card may have a better chance activating your card on-line than using your registered phone number.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by sedubby

Just out of curiosity, what was AMEX's response to this?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:46 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
American Express does offline online activation. I do not recall what information is required other than that which is on the card itself.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by mia
American Express does offline online activation. I do not recall what information is required other than that which is on the card itself.
They require you to login to your online account if you have one. Don't know what happens if you don't have one.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:29 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There are options to bypass the login:

Don't have an Online Account? Start here

Have an Online Account, but want to manage your new Card separately?
Start here
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
The culprits could have enough information about you to activate your card. This could be information from other websites you've entered your info in or could be from someone that knows you.....
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:53 am

If the person stole the mail that included your card... They have your address information and everything that is on the card including security code.

That may be how? I can't recall what was required to activate a card but it's usually something generic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.