Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Business Platinum 20% Pay with Points refund canceled 7.1.2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread pertains to the USA-issued Business Platinum Card.

The 20% refund was removed from personal Platinum Cards in 2012. Click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold

Business Plat 20% MR rebate on flights goes away on 1 July 2015 according to my latest statement. Big devaluation for my MR points utilization.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Business Plat 20% MR rebate on flights goes away on 1 July 2015 according to my latest statement. Big devaluation for my MR points utilization.
Did it specifically mention flights or is the 20% rebate going away for all Pay with Points Travel?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by jrjcopp
Did it specifically mention flights or is the 20% rebate going away for all Pay with Points Travel?
no longer receiving 20% back when booking a trip with American Express travel using pay with points.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
This is very helpful to know when receiving constant offers for BiZ Plat. Thank you.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
no longer receiving 20% back when booking a trip with American Express travel using pay with points.

Thanks and GRRR. I actually found booking hotels with points useful when I had the business platinum and the 20% rebate. Less incentive for me to re-up. (Though I keep trying for a 100K sign up bonus.)
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I just DL'ed my latest statement and see no mention of the 20% MR going away. I see reference to www.membershiprewards.com/pointsinfo, however there is nothing there that I can see (stmt date 3.23).

I don't have a hard copy, so I'm not sure I'm seeing the "reverse side" of the statement as mentioned in the June 28th changes summary.

Is there a link to this somewhere?

Thanks,
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: MileagePlus Club, Amex Platinum, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Platinum 20% Pay with Points bonus canceled

If already reported, I apologize - I searched but couldn't find it. If it has please feel free to delete or merge this thread.

Got a letter today stating that as 7/1/15 you will no longer receive the 20% of points back.

I was already moving away from Amex. This cements it.

Last edited by dnwaldmann; Mar 25, 2015 at 11:07 am Reason: Added scan of details.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Lol Amex. LOL.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
It's almost like AmEx wants us to move our spending over to Chase/Citi/others
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Another devaluation. It's a good thing I'm burning a ton of MR points on travel in June.

I've had my Plat card for about 7 years. Losing the guest in DL SkyClubs almost made me leave. This is just another reason I'll think long and hard about switching at the end of this year. I'll still keep my DL Reserve card for the 30k annual MQMs, but the rest of my spend may go elsewhere from Amex Plat.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Wow, this blows. I wonder if it will apply to the Open small business card as well or just the business. My wife has the business card and got the nasty gram in snail mail today. Nothing for me regarding my open. hmmm
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
...I wonder if it will apply to the Open small business card as well or just the business.
OPEN is merely an American Express trademark for Business Cards. All American Express Business Cards are designated "OPEN".
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:07 am

Amex Business Platinum Card Discontinues 20% points back

Just received notice that effective July 1st, 2015, Business Platinum Card Members will no longer receive 20% of Membership Rewards points back when booking a trip with American Express Travel using Pay with points. Too bad as this was one of the nicer perks that came with the card. Perhaps and depending on the amount of travel one does, the Centurion Lounge access is an attractive perk so long as AMEX keeps building them out to more airports.

What are your thoughts on this change? Do you intend to keep your Business Platinum Card? Share your strategies and experiences in the comments below.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:22 am
Original Poster

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-1-2015-a.html

Welcome to flyertalk. There is already a thread on this subject.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Has anyone called Amex to cancel their Platinum card because of this and gotten offered a retention bonus? It would be good to see how much we can get out of Amex for the loss of this benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.