Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
After being announced in early 2015, the long rumored Schwab American Express were available for application on March 21, 2016. Both cards require you to have an eligible Schwab brokerage account in order to apply. From the Schwab website:
An eligible brokerage account means a Schwab One® Account or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee. Eligibility is subject to change.
Update June 2018 on eligible Schwab account per the Schwab website:

An eligible account means (1) a Schwab One® or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee or (2) a Schwab Traditional, Roth or Rollover IRA that is not managed by an independent investment advisor pursuant to a direct contractual relationship between you and such independent advisor. Eligibility is subject to change.
Note that if you are not currently a Schwab Customer, you can still get these cards by opening the Schwab Brokerage Account. To do so, a hard pull is required and most report that pull is with Equifax. There is a $1000 minimum investment to open the brokerage account, but if you open a linked high-yield investor checking account with the brokerage account, the balance requirements are waived.

Schwab Investor Card
This is card is basically a straight 1.5% cashback back card where you cash back can be deposited straight into your Schwab Brokerage Account. You can then choose to either invest money or transfer the cash to another account.

Schwab Platinum Card
This has all the benefits of the standard American Express Platinum Card with two notable advantages:
  • You have the ability to cash out membership rewards at a rate of 1.10 cpp [changed from initial 1.25 at inception] into the brokerage account. This is called "Invest with Rewards". There is a separate thread debating the advantages and disadvantages of doing this. You can invest the cash or transfer out of Schwab.
  • There is an appreciation bonus in the form of a statement credit if you have significant assets with Schwab (essentially a discount on the annual fee). If you have $250k-$1M, you get a $100 statement credit. If you have $1M+ you get a $200 statement credit. More details are here: http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...r_faq_platinum

Link to Charles Schwab card information. Scroll down to read FAQ or to apply:

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...s/credit_cards

Print Wikipost

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:09 pm

Would you suggest then to apply for Schwab, then close regular Platinum? or Vice versa? Do you think me closing could have any effect on being approved for the Schwab?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
I applied for the Schwab and then cancelled my regular Platinum once I had the new card in hand. The Schwab card is a direct replacement of the Platinum card, so there's no real need to downgrade it unless you really want a different card. Don't wait too long and end up paying 2 annual fees by cancelling the old card too late.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jgrossman2
I guess there is no benefit other than possibly lowering my average age of credit if I close the card...
The closed account remains on your credit report for a decade. It's improbable that the benefit of keeping the account open could be worth $95/year.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:19 pm

Anybody get an error when trying to get to the Schwab redemption page? The way I have been doing redemptions is by logging on to Schwab and clicking on the linked Amex Platinum account that shows up on the Summary page. Clicking through now gives the following error:

rewards.americanexpress.com/myca/loyalty/us/rewards/rw/csb/iwrhome
"We're Sorry.
A system error occurred. Your request cannot be processed at this time. Please try your request again at a later date."

Is there a different way to get to the Schwab redemption page? Using the regular MR portal does not show anything useful under "Use Points".
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:54 pm

Opened a new Schwab brokerage account in January and converted some MR to cash.

Is there a minimum balance requirement or any fees associated with having a low balance like zero or less than $10?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by acinchus
Opened a new Schwab brokerage account in January and converted some MR to cash.

Is there a minimum balance requirement or any fees associated with having a low balance like zero or less than $10?
The Wiki has your answers.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by robchow
As I understand it, the "regular" platinum is a different product than the Schwab platinum and as such, you can get SUB on both (provided you met the requirements). I recall reading that some had the Ameriprise and applied for other platinum and was able to get the SUB.

What is SUB, the welcome bonus?

Is it confirmed that previous Amex Platinum holders can get this Schwab Amex Platinum and get the welcome bonus MRs?

Also I have a regular "Individual" brokerage account which hasn't been active in years. Also have a "Investor Checking" account which is more active.

Do either of those accounts meet the requirement?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by wco81
What is SUB, the welcome bonus?

Is it confirmed that previous Amex Platinum holders can get this Schwab Amex Platinum and get the welcome bonus MRs?

Also I have a regular "Individual" brokerage account which hasn't been active in years. Also have a "Investor Checking" account which is more active.

Do either of those accounts meet the requirement?
Yes.

If your previous Plat was the Schwab Platinum card, no. If your previous Plat was another of the "flavors" of the Platinum card, yes.

Yes.

Edit: You may find that your initial Schwab application is cancelled if you currently hold another version of the Plat (IT system may flag it as an application for the same product.) If that happens, call recon and ask for it to be manually reviewed, explaining that it is a different product from the card you currently hold. Should be approved after that.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Mar 11, 2019 at 9:39 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well I tried, got the popup:

based on your history with credit card balance transfers, American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer.

We have not yet performed a credit check. Would you still like to proceed?
Oh well.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:29 pm

Have been a long term Personal Platinum holder for 10+ years and just got the Schwab platinum which should arrive tomorrow. My older card billing period closes on April 15 at which point I'll get my annual fee added so I want to close it before then. There's one offer I have linked to the older card which I intend to use in the next day or two (oddly I didn't get the same offer on the new card) but once that's done I plan on closing the account asap.
Any gotchas I should be worried about? I'm presuming once I've got the new card activated I can transfer the recurring billing, close the old one and pay it off. I shouldn't have any problems with my existing MR points as they should just carry over?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by Skywise
Have been a long term Personal Platinum holder for 10+ years and just got the Schwab platinum which should arrive tomorrow. My older card billing period closes on April 15 at which point I'll get my annual fee added so I want to close it before then. There's one offer I have linked to the older card which I intend to use in the next day or two (oddly I didn't get the same offer on the new card) but once that's done I plan on closing the account asap.
Any gotchas I should be worried about? I'm presuming once I've got the new card activated I can transfer the recurring billing, close the old one and pay it off. I shouldn't have any problems with my existing MR points as they should just carry over?
You can close the personal after the annual fee hits, they'll credit you the balance, just pay off the rest of the card. So when you go to close, have a $550 balance on the card, and AmEx can credit the annual fee and then close it out.

Alternatively, pay it all off, and AmEx will credit your annual fee. Then you can call in and have them cut you a check (what I usually do), or have them apply the credit to another AmEx card.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Has anyone with a joint Schwab account successfully opened two different platinum cards (one for each member) as a way to cash out two different MR accounts?

Thank you!
Old Sep 23, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Blind and Green
Has anyone with a joint Schwab account successfully opened two different platinum cards (one for each member) as a way to cash out two different MR accounts?

Thank you!
Did you try this? I am in the same situation. I have a joint account and would like to have a card account for my wife and myself.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Funny how that works - to me the Gold is much easier to justify as the dining credit is very easy to redeem, and 4x dining and 4x grocery is significantly more useful to me than 5x airfare on the platinum. The Platinum is the one that is harder to justify, especially as almost all of the benefits are replicated elsewhere. The Uber and Saks credits are easy to redeem, so it is $250 net - but there is little reason to spend on the card outside of airfare (and I don’t buy that much of my own airfare).

At the end of the day I’ll probably keep both as long as I am engaged in Membership Rewards
Finding Uber credit to be distraction with the monthly credit. Instead of simply giving $200 at start of annual period it implemented a marketing gimmick of a credit to expire monthly and only redeemed in US. I've used Uber eats which is ok but not places I would like to go to. No use for Uber ride as drive/bicycle/walk everywhere.
Uber denies international use where recently I saw Uber delivering food on bicycles in Poland.
Sak's has poor quality selections and its $50 credit twice a year instead of $100 at start of annual period is once again gimmick to take away credit on those that don't use every 6 month period. Most clothing items online under $50 at Sak's are out of stock in my size(XL), same items online are not available in store so can't try on before ordering or inspect quality, or items I might buy at over $50 limit where I question buying since I don't really want the item. When I went to Sak's off 5th ave store in mall Sak's seems very cheap looking merchandise with no sales staff on floor and only one cashier.

Add the new airline credit restrictions eliminating the GC this is again difficult since I do mostly award travel(on multiple airlines) designating Delta for now to test out sky mile lounge. AMEX denies trip coverage because not I'm charging full amount on ticket. SO only fees (which are small) on award travel are reimbursed.Amex Plat is a difficult card to justify even with my $200 annual statement credit from Schwab to reduce AF. Probably the worst travel card I've had in past 5 years due AMEX benefit gimmicks.

Haven't had an opportunity to use longes yet(centurion or SKymile will next year). Thinking of buying refundable ticket one way on Delta to checkout centurion/Skymile lounges same day soon.

Another issue I have is redemption of AMEX membership rewards where for 100k bonus can be converted to $1250 at Schwab. However, this according to Schwab triggers at 1099-MISC decreasing the value by your tax bracket (25% nominally). If used as travel only worth $1000=100k points versus at CRS and Citi Prestige $1500 travel value.

In comparison to my previous Citi Prestige and current CSR card I find AMEX PLAT as too many gimmick benefits versus other travel bank cards.

Last edited by euromannn; Oct 1, 2019 at 6:38 am
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by euromannn
In comparison to my previous Citi Prestige and current CSR card I find AMEX PLAT as too many gimmick benefits versus other travel bank cards.
It sounds like the Amex Plat does not present you with good (or any?) value given your natural travel and spending habits/preferences. Even the airport lounge access as you describe seems like negative value - you're talking about buying tickets solely to use the lounge; rather than buying tickets to actually go somewhere and having the lounge as an ancillary option.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but given everything you just posted - is there a reason you are continuing to hold and pay for this card? (I don't mean this in a snarky way; I'm just sitting here thinking that none of the items listed are particularly new so if I were in your shoes, I'd have cancelled the card a long time ago.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.