Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
After being announced in early 2015, the long rumored Schwab American Express were available for application on March 21, 2016. Both cards require you to have an eligible Schwab brokerage account in order to apply. From the Schwab website:
An eligible brokerage account means a Schwab One® Account or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee. Eligibility is subject to change.
Update June 2018 on eligible Schwab account per the Schwab website:

An eligible account means (1) a Schwab One® or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee or (2) a Schwab Traditional, Roth or Rollover IRA that is not managed by an independent investment advisor pursuant to a direct contractual relationship between you and such independent advisor. Eligibility is subject to change.
Note that if you are not currently a Schwab Customer, you can still get these cards by opening the Schwab Brokerage Account. To do so, a hard pull is required and most report that pull is with Equifax. There is a $1000 minimum investment to open the brokerage account, but if you open a linked high-yield investor checking account with the brokerage account, the balance requirements are waived.

Schwab Investor Card
This is card is basically a straight 1.5% cashback back card where you cash back can be deposited straight into your Schwab Brokerage Account. You can then choose to either invest money or transfer the cash to another account.

Schwab Platinum Card
This has all the benefits of the standard American Express Platinum Card with two notable advantages:
  • You have the ability to cash out membership rewards at a rate of 1.10 cpp [changed from initial 1.25 at inception] into the brokerage account. This is called "Invest with Rewards". There is a separate thread debating the advantages and disadvantages of doing this. You can invest the cash or transfer out of Schwab.
  • There is an appreciation bonus in the form of a statement credit if you have significant assets with Schwab (essentially a discount on the annual fee). If you have $250k-$1M, you get a $100 statement credit. If you have $1M+ you get a $200 statement credit. More details are here: http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...r_faq_platinum

Link to Charles Schwab card information. Scroll down to read FAQ or to apply:

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...s/credit_cards

Print Wikipost

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:36 am

Long time lurker...first time poster.

Originally Posted by LetsGoToo
I'm having the same issue. You may want to check the thread here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...on-issues.html
I have the same issue, I know it affects 4 individual users including myself. I called AMEX numerous times, just the run around...

I thought maybe they are blocking from outside the US, but based on this thread, nope...so who knows..
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by navyitaly
Long time lurker...first time poster.

I have the same issue, I know it affects 4 individual users including myself. I called AMEX numerous times, just the run around...

I thought maybe they are blocking from outside the US, but based on this thread, nope...so who knows..
I got the run around for several months. The best thing to do is call the Online Team at 800-297-2977 and ask for them to open a ticket on it. You could also do it thru online chat.

If you don't it's not going away. I've had this problem for about 9 months now but only got a ticket opened two weeks ago.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DavidAL
...trying to redeem some points...
What type of redemption are you attempting, what is the error message, and did you call American Express customer service to make the redemption for you?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by LetsGoToo
I got the run around for several months. The best thing to do is call the Online Team at 800-297-2977 and ask for them to open a ticket on it. You could also do it thru online chat.

If you don't it's not going away. I've had this problem for about 9 months now but only got a ticket opened two weeks ago.
I got it to work thanks to Flyertalk. There's another thread about 50% off Business Platinum issues..anyway if you separate the MR cards from the non-MR cards and make a new account, it will work. This fixed it for my wife and I. Now we have 2 log in's each, but at least the points redeem.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:05 am

Are previous AmEx Personal Platinum and/or the Ameriprise AmEx Personal Platinum cardholders eligible for the 60k bonus on the Schwab Personal Platinum?

"Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product." in the offer terms implies the answer is yes...
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:22 am
mia

Originally Posted by mster
Are previous AmEx Personal Platinum and/or the Ameriprise AmEx Personal Platinum cardholders eligible for the 60k bonus on the Schwab Personal Platinum?
In practice yes, but if American Express were to audit the account and be "looking" for an excuse to disallow the bonus they might assert that it is the same product.
Old May 6, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Not sure when the eligibility requirements changed, but it's different from what's listed on the wiki. Now on their site, it's:

An eligible account means (1) a Schwab One® or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee or (2) a Schwab Traditional, Roth or Rollover IRA that is not managed by an independent investment advisor pursuant to a direct contractual relationship between you and such independent advisor.
I have both a Schwab One and Schwab IRA account,, but both are managed by an independent advisor. Am I considered eligible based on (1) above? It's a bit unclear to me if the indepedent advisor restriction applies only to IRAs.
Old May 10, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: All of the Above
So the website finally started working when I last redeemed some points the end of March, but now the amex website has updated itself and it's now erroring out again. Is there any way to redeem from Schwab or only from amex's website?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
Yes, it's a bog-standard Platinum card except for adding the rebate-to-Schwab feature and the relationship bonus. The Schwab site/app will show you the total balance on your Plat, but only after you log in with Amex and grant permission for that feature.
And I assume the transfer of the 60k MR bonus points are a one or two click process to deposit the $750 into my Schwab account?

Also - does or has Schwab ever increased the 60k bonus?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
And I assume the transfer of the 60k MR bonus points are a one or two click process to deposit the $750 into my Schwab account?

Also - does or has Schwab ever increased the 60k bonus?
Question #2 - NO
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Questions...

Did a quick search on the $200 airline credit and came up empty, so...

1. Am I correct in assuming that the credit can cover change fees but NOT upgrade fees (such as the $75 AA co-pay for domestic upgrades)?
2. Is it possible to use this credit for purchasing airline gift cards?
3. This seems clear from the discussion here, but just in case this has changed: It is $200 per calendar year, right?

Thanks for any help!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:22 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
... AA ...
See this thread:

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only .
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Thanks!

Originally Posted by mster

"Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product." in the offer terms implies the answer is yes...
Originally Posted by mia
In practice yes, but if American Express were to audit the account and be "looking" for an excuse to disallow the bonus they might assert that it is the same product.
Thanks for this too. Any more recent data points on this, pointing either way?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:59 am

Can the points only be cashed out to a Schwab IRA, or do regular checking accounts work?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Cash out to brokerage, then transfer brokerage > checking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.