Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
After being announced in early 2015, the long rumored Schwab American Express were available for application on March 21, 2016. Both cards require you to have an eligible Schwab brokerage account in order to apply. From the Schwab website:
An eligible brokerage account means a Schwab One® Account or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee. Eligibility is subject to change.
Update June 2018 on eligible Schwab account per the Schwab website:

An eligible account means (1) a Schwab One® or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee or (2) a Schwab Traditional, Roth or Rollover IRA that is not managed by an independent investment advisor pursuant to a direct contractual relationship between you and such independent advisor. Eligibility is subject to change.
Note that if you are not currently a Schwab Customer, you can still get these cards by opening the Schwab Brokerage Account. To do so, a hard pull is required and most report that pull is with Equifax. There is a $1000 minimum investment to open the brokerage account, but if you open a linked high-yield investor checking account with the brokerage account, the balance requirements are waived.

Schwab Investor Card
This is card is basically a straight 1.5% cashback back card where you cash back can be deposited straight into your Schwab Brokerage Account. You can then choose to either invest money or transfer the cash to another account.

Schwab Platinum Card
This has all the benefits of the standard American Express Platinum Card with two notable advantages:
  • You have the ability to cash out membership rewards at a rate of 1.10 cpp [changed from initial 1.25 at inception] into the brokerage account. This is called "Invest with Rewards". There is a separate thread debating the advantages and disadvantages of doing this. You can invest the cash or transfer out of Schwab.
  • There is an appreciation bonus in the form of a statement credit if you have significant assets with Schwab (essentially a discount on the annual fee). If you have $250k-$1M, you get a $100 statement credit. If you have $1M+ you get a $200 statement credit. More details are here: http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...r_faq_platinum

Link to Charles Schwab card information. Scroll down to read FAQ or to apply:

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...s/credit_cards

Print Wikipost

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
isn't the Mercedes Benz Amex better since it is 75 mr rather than the low 40k mr from schwab
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by happyvoid
isn't the Mercedes Benz Amex better since it is 75 mr rather than the low 40k mr from schwab
People can get both
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by happyvoid
From a signup bonus perspective yes, the MB Platinum is better. The advantage to the Schwab version is the discounted annual fee if you have $250k+ at Schwab and the ability to cash out your MR for 1.25 cpp.
Old May 1, 2016, 4:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

A discussion has been exported:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ood-value.html
Old May 4, 2016, 3:34 am

I have a Schwab pension plan (not IRA). Its a brokerage account, only of a very specific type - not sure it qualifies for the Amex card, but I did get a marketing email from Schwab about the new Amex Plat. Does that mean I qualify? Or should I call Amex?
Old May 4, 2016, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by CRAZ8
Don't wait for 11 months - the Annual Fee is pro-rated for the refund. If you have 11 months left, you'll get most of the $450 back when you cancel.

I'm about to cancel my old Platinum since I now have the Schwab, and have just finished using my Airline Credit on the old card.
Originally Posted by Troopers
True...but why the rush unless one needs the 40k MR soon? I would just wait out the 11 months and hope for a better signup bonus.
Originally Posted by Madone59
This is what I was thinking. I used my airline credit, and can get a bit of the annual fee back.
The calendar is your friend. Apply for the Schwab in December and use the 2016 airline credit. In January, use the 2017 airline credit on your old Plat, then cancel. And you'll still have the 2017 Schwab airline credit to use.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:30 am
mia

Originally Posted by bobby21
Does that mean I qualify? Or should I call Amex?
An eligible brokerage account means a Schwab One® Account or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee. Eligibility is subject to change.
I see no need to call.

• Click HERE
  • Scroll down
  • Click [Apply now]
  • You will be prompted to login. I would not expect the system to allow you to apply if your account is not eligible.

Last edited by mia; May 4, 2016 at 7:44 am
Old May 4, 2016, 10:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pallhedge
The calendar is your friend. Apply for the Schwab in December and use the 2016 airline credit. In January, use the 2017 airline credit on your old Plat, then cancel. And you'll still have the 2017 Schwab airline credit to use.
Better yet, apply for Schwab in December 2016, use airline credit and then use airline credit early Jan 2017. Make sure to hit min spend very quick. Once all that is done, cancel Schwab Plat and get the $450 AF refunded. You get your 40k points + $400.

In Jan 2017, also use the airline credit on old plat and then cancel.
Old May 4, 2016, 6:19 pm

I expanded the wiki to help clarify some of the confusion surrounding these cards. Please review for accuracy.
Old May 6, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA
Does anyone know if the annual fee is waived for the first year? The Schwab link is silent on the issue per my quick review.
Old May 6, 2016, 3:55 pm
mia

Originally Posted by hytail
... annual fee is waived for the first year? ....
It is not. Fee disclosure here: https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab..._platinum.html
Old May 10, 2016, 10:54 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by bobby21
I have a Schwab pension plan (not IRA). Its a brokerage account, only of a very specific type - not sure it qualifies for the Amex card, but I did get a marketing email from Schwab about the new Amex Plat. Does that mean I qualify? Or should I call Amex?
First, I just received my Schwab card yesterday. I called today to cancel my old one and it was simple. They took care of everything but Boingo over the phone and that only took me a couple of minutes on line although I needed to create a new user name.

As for your pension plan, here is some of the language from the cardmember agreement:

the aggregate assets held in the following retirement Schwab Brokerage Account types...Traditional Individual Retirement Accounts, Roth and Roth Conversion IRAs and Rollover IRAs but excluding (all of the above) that are managed by an independent investment advisor pursuant to a direct contractual relationship...

and quoting exactly:
"Retirement Assets not held in accounts listed above are excluded"

In my case I have a number of Schwab accounts some of which are trusts and retirement accounts and all of which are managed by an independent advisor and wanted to make sure which ones counted. I called the application number and they conferenced Schwab in and went over the various accounts.
Took a little bit of time but was pretty painless.
Old May 10, 2016, 4:57 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Applied Friday and the Schwab fee credit posted today.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hytail
Does anyone know if the annual fee is waived for the first year? The Schwab link is silent on the issue per my quick review.
AMEX would have to go temporarily insane to offer a fee waiver on a Platinum card.
Old May 11, 2016, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
AMEX would have to go temporarily insane to offer a fee waiver on a Platinum card.
Schwab does not waive the fee on the Platinum Card. Only the Ameriprise Platinum comes with the annual fee waived the first year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.