Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
After being announced in early 2015, the long rumored Schwab American Express were available for application on March 21, 2016. Both cards require you to have an eligible Schwab brokerage account in order to apply. From the Schwab website:
An eligible brokerage account means a Schwab One® Account or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee. Eligibility is subject to change.
Update June 2018 on eligible Schwab account per the Schwab website:

An eligible account means (1) a Schwab One® or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee or (2) a Schwab Traditional, Roth or Rollover IRA that is not managed by an independent investment advisor pursuant to a direct contractual relationship between you and such independent advisor. Eligibility is subject to change.
Note that if you are not currently a Schwab Customer, you can still get these cards by opening the Schwab Brokerage Account. To do so, a hard pull is required and most report that pull is with Equifax. There is a $1000 minimum investment to open the brokerage account, but if you open a linked high-yield investor checking account with the brokerage account, the balance requirements are waived.

Schwab Investor Card
This is card is basically a straight 1.5% cashback back card where you cash back can be deposited straight into your Schwab Brokerage Account. You can then choose to either invest money or transfer the cash to another account.

Schwab Platinum Card
This has all the benefits of the standard American Express Platinum Card with two notable advantages:
  • You have the ability to cash out membership rewards at a rate of 1.10 cpp [changed from initial 1.25 at inception] into the brokerage account. This is called "Invest with Rewards". There is a separate thread debating the advantages and disadvantages of doing this. You can invest the cash or transfer out of Schwab.
  • There is an appreciation bonus in the form of a statement credit if you have significant assets with Schwab (essentially a discount on the annual fee). If you have $250k-$1M, you get a $100 statement credit. If you have $1M+ you get a $200 statement credit. More details are here: http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...r_faq_platinum

Link to Charles Schwab card information. Scroll down to read FAQ or to apply:

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...s/credit_cards

Print Wikipost

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Troopers
I was told can't product change. Apply for Schwab Plat first then cancel Plat, and do this about 11 months from now before Plat AF is due.
Don't wait for 11 months - the Annual Fee is pro-rated for the refund. If you have 11 months left, you'll get most of the $450 back when you cancel.

I'm about to cancel my old Platinum since I now have the Schwab, and have just finished using my Airline Credit on the old card.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I have a lot of Amex cards, but only one cobranded (SPG). Could I be declined on the Schwab Platinum (assuming I otherwise qualify) for having too many cards?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
... Could I be declined
Maybe, but less likely that in the past. Read the Wikipost and recent posts in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ard-limit.html
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by CRAZ8
Don't wait for 11 months - the Annual Fee is pro-rated for the refund. If you have 11 months left, you'll get most of the $450 back when you cancel.
True...but why the rush unless one needs the 40k MR soon? I would just wait out the 11 months and hope for a better signup bonus.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CRAZ8

I'm about to cancel my old Platinum since I now have the Schwab, and have just finished using my Airline Credit on the old card.
This is what I was thinking. I used my airline credit, and can get a bit of the annual fee back.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by PedroNY
I created a joint account with Schwab, took about 2 days to get it all set up and activated. Got 2 Amex Platinum cards (one for me and one for Mrs. PedroNY), met spent on each card, received bonus 40,000 MR pts per account, transferred all of MR points from our accounts into Schwab (you can do this online), including MR points that came from other cards -- woo hoo! All money showed up within minutes in the Schwab account, it was "settled" next business day, all money was transferred out of that account to my bank.

As for 1099, I'll find out in 2017, but I have low expectation of getting it. Why would we get one from AMEX for this and not redeeming for Gift Cards? The value of a gift card is set, just like this redemption is set. I haven't heard or experienced of 1099 for any kind of Credit Card rebate, cashback, miles, etc. -- only in banking. At least not in last 12 years that I been doing this, and 100s of credit cards from pretty much every bank you can imagine.

This was an amazing deal for us, to cash out MR points at $.0125 -- absolutely loved it, from both of our accounts. I'll fly using miles, so MR for cash is just gravy, if it goes un-taxed, even better.

Cheers,

PedroNY
When do you cancel the card? ... Or do you keep it for the first year?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:07 am

I've had an Amex platinum for years and have a small Schwab investment account already.

- If I get the Schwab platinum can I transfer the MR points to the new card? (Obviously can't use them for depositing to the Schwab account. ?)

- Do I keep the same Member Since date? (Pure vanity I know!)

- Otherwise, every other benefit is the same? I'm trying to see if there's any upside to keeping the "plain old platinum"
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Skywise
I've had an Amex platinum for years and have a small Schwab investment account already.

- If I get the Schwab platinum can I transfer the MR points to the new card? (Obviously can't use them for depositing to the Schwab account. ?)

- Do I keep the same Member Since date? (Pure vanity I know!)

- Otherwise, every other benefit is the same? I'm trying to see if there's any upside to keeping the "plain old platinum"
1.) Membership rewards are automatically linked between all your AMEX cards. You can transfer all your existing points to Schwab.

2.) Member since date will be backdated to your first AMEX but won't be backdated on your credit report.

3.) If you don't care about your average age of accounts you can close the old card after getting the schwab platinum.

Last edited by mia; May 1, 2016 at 5:00 pm Reason: Portion of post was exported to another thread.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Skywise
Membership Rewards points are associated with a rewards account, not with a card. When you apply for the Schwab card it should automatically be linked to the same Membership Rewards account as your current card(s).

Then, you can redeem those points. You can, in fact, redeem all points for Schwab credit if you think that is good value. Read THIS post.

Originally Posted by DARWINISM
...you can probably product change your current platinum to the schwab platinum.
This is not an option. See the Schwab website:

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...s/credit_cards

..or perhaps THIS post.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by DARWINISM
3.) If you don't care about your average age of accounts you can close the old card after getting the schwab platinum.
Not sure if this will be an issue. my schwab card is backdated to my first amex.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by gsxsilver
Not sure if this will be an issue. my schwab card is backdated to my first amex.
Wait. I thought AMEX stopped doing that: reporting to Credit Bureau the open date of your new account to be in the year of your first Amex.

Have you verified this on your credit report?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1
Wait. I thought AMEX stopped doing that: reporting to Credit Bureau the open date of your new account to be in the year of your first Amex.

Have you verified this on your credit report?
Didn't check with credit report, but my schwab amex has member since date of my first very first amex from years ago printed.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mhdena
Aren't all credit card points the same as rebates on the spend?

What cards do generate 1099's?
My DW & I have had >100 cr. cards each over the years & have NEVER received a 1099 for miles/pts received.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Troopers
True...but why the rush unless one needs the 40k MR soon? I would just wait out the 11 months and hope for a better signup bonus.
Have they given bigger bonuses for these type of cards (say Mercedes Benz Platinum, or Ameriprise Platinum)
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
Have they given bigger bonuses for these type of cards (say Mercedes Benz Platinum, or Ameriprise Platinum)
Yes on the MB Plat (historically 50k MR, currently 75k MR). Not sure about the Ameriprise as I don't follow it.

ETA: I suppose another reason to not wait the 11 months is if one needed the $200 airline reimbursements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.