Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Old May 4, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
After being announced in early 2015, the long rumored Schwab American Express were available for application on March 21, 2016. Both cards require you to have an eligible Schwab brokerage account in order to apply. From the Schwab website:
An eligible brokerage account means a Schwab One® Account or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee. Eligibility is subject to change.
Update June 2018 on eligible Schwab account per the Schwab website:

An eligible account means (1) a Schwab One® or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee or (2) a Schwab Traditional, Roth or Rollover IRA that is not managed by an independent investment advisor pursuant to a direct contractual relationship between you and such independent advisor. Eligibility is subject to change.
Note that if you are not currently a Schwab Customer, you can still get these cards by opening the Schwab Brokerage Account. To do so, a hard pull is required and most report that pull is with Equifax. There is a $1000 minimum investment to open the brokerage account, but if you open a linked high-yield investor checking account with the brokerage account, the balance requirements are waived.

Schwab Investor Card
This is card is basically a straight 1.5% cashback back card where you cash back can be deposited straight into your Schwab Brokerage Account. You can then choose to either invest money or transfer the cash to another account.

Schwab Platinum Card
This has all the benefits of the standard American Express Platinum Card with two notable advantages:
  • You have the ability to cash out membership rewards at a rate of 1.10 cpp [changed from initial 1.25 at inception] into the brokerage account. This is called "Invest with Rewards". There is a separate thread debating the advantages and disadvantages of doing this. You can invest the cash or transfer out of Schwab.
  • There is an appreciation bonus in the form of a statement credit if you have significant assets with Schwab (essentially a discount on the annual fee). If you have $250k-$1M, you get a $100 statement credit. If you have $1M+ you get a $200 statement credit. More details are here: http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...r_faq_platinum

Link to Charles Schwab card information. Scroll down to read FAQ or to apply:

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...s/credit_cards

Print Wikipost

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by takeshi74
This still appears to be active
Thank you. I see that this paragraph mentions the names of both cards:

Eligiblity
The Platinum Card® from American Express Exclusively for Charles Schwab and the Charles Schwab Investor Credit Card™ from American Express are only available to you if you have an eligible Schwab brokerage account (an "eligible brokerage account").
...while this paragraph only describes the rewards program of one card:

1.5% Cash Back
Cash back is only available to the Basic Card Member on a Charles Schwab Investor Credit Card™ from American Express who has a Schwab One® Account or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in the name of the Basic Card Member or in the name of a revocable living trust where the Basic Card Member is the grantor and trustee. (an "eligible brokerage account").
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
2.7% FTF is not going to attract the high-spender travelers, it's the near-free card for people like my mom that if she was to go overseas the last thing she would wonder about would be the FTF. Not me, who spends $25k+ a month overseas and that fee adds up and isn't easily expensed at work without hassle.

As a big Schwab customer (and Amex) I'm pretty underwhelmed. Love them for my personal banking, wish they would offer a premium product like ML.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 2:11 pm

Upon looking at the features of the 1.5% cash back card with a 2.7% FTF, I'm reminded of the two word review for Spın̈al Tap's Shark Sandwich album. I'll leave it at that.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
2.7% FTF is not going to attract the high-spender travelers, it's the near-free card for people like my mom that if she was to go overseas the last thing she would wonder about would be the FTF. Not me, who spends $25k+ a month overseas and that fee adds up and isn't easily expensed at work without hassle.

As a big Schwab customer (and Amex) I'm pretty underwhelmed. Love them for my personal banking, wish they would offer a premium product like ML.
Your mum would be better off with a Cap1 Quicksilver...

I don't know why people thought this was going to be interesting. Slapping a logo on the Plat and a 1.5% CB card? Eh.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:26 pm

is there good intel that the schwab platinum will be the same as the standard one? ameriprise and morgan stanley plats both have unique benefits.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 4:13 pm

Any truth to the march 31st date that some people have been throwing around? Might want to switch my regular plat over for the extra airline credit and some points.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by gsxsilver
Any truth to the march 31st date that some people have been throwing around? Might want to switch my regular plat over for the extra airline credit and some points.
Not sure. I thought this card was supposed to come out last year. I might transition over to this from my Ameriprise AMEX Platinum next year when the annual fee hits for the same reason - extra airline credit and bonus points. Plus, I do have a Schwab Brokerage Account which I think is the only Schwab requirement.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:11 am
mia

Press release said "early 2016":

http://about.americanexpress.com/new...es-schwab.aspx
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by steve4
Not sure. I thought this card was supposed to come out last year. I might transition over to this from my Ameriprise AMEX Platinum next year when the annual fee hits for the same reason - extra airline credit and bonus points. Plus, I do have a Schwab Brokerage Account which I think is the only Schwab requirement.

The cards will be available by the end of the month according to their customer service.

The requirement is that you have to be a brokerage client. If you open a checking account they automatically open a Schwab One account for you, that qualifies you as a brokerage client.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I have been a Schwab customer for a long time and love their customer service - i'd happily entertain a joint card between Schwab and AMEX ^
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Thanks for the updates ^

Will be interesting to see what the Platinum bennies are ultimately.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
http://www-qa.schwab.com/public/schw...s/credit_cards

$100 annual credit for having $250k+ at Schwab, or $200 for having $1M+. Assets will be measured shortly after applying, and then once again each year.

MRs can be converted to cash deposits at Schwab at 1.25 cpp. (Not that many people here would actually do that...)

I'm going to go for it. I can try out Platinum perks for a reduced AF and maybe go for the proprietary Platinum when a better bonus is available.

Of course, a $250k balance could earn a $600 transfer bonus at a few other brokerages...I do like Schwab, though.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:47 pm
mia

Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14
MRs can be converted to cash deposits at Schwab at 1.25 cpp. (Not that many people here would actually do that...)
If anyone does intend to do this it's better to choose the free card which pays 1.5% rather than converting Membership Rewards points at 1.25%, but really you would do best to choose one of the 2% cashback cards from another issuer and simply deposit the funds yourself.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If anyone does intend to do this it's better to choose the free card which pays 1.5% rather than converting Membership Rewards points at 1.25%, but really you would do best to choose one of the 2% cashback cards from another issuer and simply deposit the funds yourself.
Don't think it comes down to straight cash back comparison. Pretty much all my cards got it beat regarding this, but will get it for the benefits.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14
http://www-qa.schwab.com/public/schw...s/credit_cards

$100 annual credit for having $250k+ at Schwab, or $200 for having $1M+. Assets will be measured shortly after applying, and then once again each year.

I'm going to go for it. I can try out Platinum perks for a reduced AF and maybe go for the proprietary Platinum when a better bonus is available.

Of course, a $250k balance could earn a $600 transfer bonus at a few other brokerages...I do like Schwab, though.

Interesting to see how Schwab and Morgan Stanley have positioned their platnium and free fee product differently:

Schawb Plat gets:
- 1.25 cpm/MR (i guess one could say a worse case scenario)
- Annual credit of $100 -$200 based on AUM

Schawb free: 1.5% cash back

MS Plat:
- 1.0 cpm/MR
- Annual spend bonus ($500 for $100k)

MS free:
- 2x MR category bonuses
- 1.0 cpm/MR
- Annual spend bonus ($100 for $25k)

It comes down to your preference (and really, the choice of broker should out weight the card benefits). Given that these firms spend a lot of time researching what product to provide, my initial take is Schawb's product is more value focused vs. experience focused (MS).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.