Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
After being announced in early 2015, the long rumored Schwab American Express were available for application on March 21, 2016. Both cards require you to have an eligible Schwab brokerage account in order to apply. From the Schwab website:
An eligible brokerage account means a Schwab One® Account or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee. Eligibility is subject to change.
Update June 2018 on eligible Schwab account per the Schwab website:

An eligible account means (1) a Schwab One® or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee or (2) a Schwab Traditional, Roth or Rollover IRA that is not managed by an independent investment advisor pursuant to a direct contractual relationship between you and such independent advisor. Eligibility is subject to change.
Note that if you are not currently a Schwab Customer, you can still get these cards by opening the Schwab Brokerage Account. To do so, a hard pull is required and most report that pull is with Equifax. There is a $1000 minimum investment to open the brokerage account, but if you open a linked high-yield investor checking account with the brokerage account, the balance requirements are waived.

Schwab Investor Card
This is card is basically a straight 1.5% cashback back card where you cash back can be deposited straight into your Schwab Brokerage Account. You can then choose to either invest money or transfer the cash to another account.

Schwab Platinum Card
This has all the benefits of the standard American Express Platinum Card with two notable advantages:
  • You have the ability to cash out membership rewards at a rate of 1.10 cpp [changed from initial 1.25 at inception] into the brokerage account. This is called "Invest with Rewards". There is a separate thread debating the advantages and disadvantages of doing this. You can invest the cash or transfer out of Schwab.
  • There is an appreciation bonus in the form of a statement credit if you have significant assets with Schwab (essentially a discount on the annual fee). If you have $250k-$1M, you get a $100 statement credit. If you have $1M+ you get a $200 statement credit. More details are here: http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...r_faq_platinum

Link to Charles Schwab card information. Scroll down to read FAQ or to apply:

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...s/credit_cards

Print Wikipost

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by nall
Can the points only be cashed out to a Schwab IRA, or do regular checking accounts work?
Be sure to cash it out to a taxible brokerage account so you don't have the money locked up in an IRA (unless that's your intent).
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:06 am

I've currently got a personal platinum and looking to switch over to the Schwab branded one - What's the best way to go about doing that so I keep my current MR points but not incur double membership fees!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Skywise
I've currently got a personal platinum and looking to switch over to the Schwab branded one - What's the best way to go about doing that so I keep my current MR points but not incur double membership fees!
The only way to obtain the Schwab Plat is to submit an application for it; it's considered a different product than the personal Plat.

If you don't want to pay double fees in any given year, then wait until it's almost time for your personal Plat annual fee to post before you apply for the Schwab. Then, once you're approved for the Schwab, get rid of the personal Plat at your anniversary date.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Seems like no ones getting 1099s which is good. Anyone familiar with whether there will be any changes in 2018?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:24 am
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver
Question: Is the $100/$250 bonus credit for a certain amount w/Schwab only given at renewal? Not at account opening?
I called to ask about it & that's what I was told--I've never received any bonus (account opened this May 2017), & I met the Schwab amount criteria--is it automatic? Or do I have to call in?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Originally Posted by Rd3
Question: Is the $100/$250 bonus credit for a certain amount w/Schwab only given at renewal? Not at account opening?
I called to ask about it & that's what I was told--I've never received any bonus (account opened this May 2017), & I met the Schwab amount criteria--is it automatic? Or do I have to call in?
It's $100 for $250,000 and $200 for $1,000,000.

My first-year credit posted as "Schwab Appreciation Bonus" automatically four days after approval.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:56 pm

Hoping that someone here has some insight into a weird situation I've noticed related to "Invest with Rewards" through the Schwab Platinum card, specifically related to MR contributions into a traditional IRA account.
I searched through this thread and other places online, but I haven't been able to find any definitive answers to my questions:

1. Do these MR -> Schwab "Invest With Rewards" contributions into a Schwab Traditional IRA (tIRA) count toward my annual contribution limit of $5,500?
2. Assuming my MAGI is below the deduction phase-out threshold for tIRA contributions, will the MR->Schwab "Invest with Rewards" contributions into a Schwab tIRA lower my taxable income by the equivalent amount invested into the tIRA?

I have some concerns and reason to believe that the answer to (at least) #1 above is "No":

Since receiving the Schwab Plat card in November 2017, I've invested 215,000 MR into my Schwab tIRA account, and my Schwab account correctly shows that I've "deposited" (their term) $2,687.50 YTD from my AmEx account.
However, the Schwab website simultaneously shows that my current YTD IRA contributions for the 2017 tax year is only $676, which is the amount of cash deposits I've made into the IRA since opening it earlier this year. It appears that the MR deposits are NOT being counted as contributions to the IRA, and are NOT affecting the $5,500 contribution limit.

A large part of my strategy with the Invest with Rewards feature of the Schwab card was to fully fund my tIRA with MR points @ 1.25 CPP, and also to reap the tax benefits of 1) Maxing my tIRA for 2017, and 2) Reducing my taxable income by the amount of my 2017 contributions (my MAGI puts me below the deduction phase out threshold). Now I'm concerned that Schwab isn't counting these MR contributions as true IRA contributions, and that I won't see the tax benefit that I intended.

Thanks for any insight into this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:52 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
You are in a pretty technical area. My thoughts are that you shouldn't worry about Schwab as much as the Irs at to what counts towards the $5500 limit. If their software doesn't count it but your balance increases due to contributions in that year up to $5500 as a result of the MR points than that money should count towards your limit.

Last edited by abk; Dec 13, 2017 at 8:59 pm
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:34 am

Like abk says, it is an IRS decision, not a decision by Schwab. There should be no difference between Amex -> (Schwab) taxable -> IRA, and Amex -> IRA. The IRS sees credit card points as "rebates" and treats them the same as coupons, so they are "worthless" to them. So you can take your rebate which is tax free to a taxable account, and then choose to do what you want with it. Since it is fungible, question #2 is irrelevant. Basically, you found a quirk of the schwab website, and while it may look okay to you and Schwab, the IRS will disagree.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Thefirst
A large part of my strategy with the Invest with Rewards feature of the Schwab card was to fully fund my tIRA with MR points @ 1.25 CPP, and also to reap the tax benefits of 1) Maxing my tIRA for 2017, and 2) Reducing my taxable income by the amount of my 2017 contributions (my MAGI puts me below the deduction phase out threshold). Now I'm concerned that Schwab isn't counting these MR contributions as true IRA contributions, and that I won't see the tax benefit that I intended.
Couldn't you deposit the Schwab money from MR points into a non-IRA account, then withdraw the money to your bank account and then fund your IRA from your bank account thus assuring it does what you want it to do? Or possibly even deposit the MR $$$ into a non-IRA Schwab account and then transfer $$$ from the non-IRA Schwab account to your IRA Schwab account?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
I agree with the above posters. Just because a relatively obscure feature on the Schwab website allows something doesn't mean it will fly with the IRS.

IRAs are funded with cash, not points, and once the MRs reach Schwab they are clearly cash.

Background: I am an Enrolled Agent (though not your EA, and admittedly a rather junior one).
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:16 am

Thanks everyone. I understand the IRS has final say, just a little concerned that Schwab isn't reporting these deposits into my IRA as true contributions, and they are responsible for submitting Form 5498 to the IRS detailing my contributions. I agree that at the end of the day, the IRS will most likely not let this "loophole" / website glitch increase my annual IRA contribution cap beyond $5,500.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:08 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by Thefirst
Thanks everyone. I understand the IRS has final say, just a little concerned that Schwab isn't reporting these deposits into my IRA as true contributions, and they are responsible for submitting Form 5498 to the IRS detailing my contributions. I agree that at the end of the day, the IRS will most likely not let this "loophole" / website glitch increase my annual IRA contribution cap beyond $5,500.
I think when the reporting comes around things will be correct. I tend to agree with the above poster that paying it into a taxable account and then making the IRA contribution may leave a much cleaner paper trail if your deduction of the rebates as a legitimate IRA contribution is ever looked at.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:09 am

Yup, I think from now on I'll go straight from AmEx -> Brokerage -> IRA to make sure the cash value is accounted for correctly by Schwab.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Cashing out MRs

Considering opening the Schwab Amex Platinum so I can cash out MR Points for 1.25 cpp.

Is there any other avenue to cash out MR points? Will cashing them out to a Schwab brokerage account trigger a 1099?

I've been using my MR points for mainly domestic flights on Delta (don't do any international J travel) and have done the math and it makes more sense for me to be cashing out the points and buying revenue tickets (especially with the 5x MR on airfare) vs trying to get decent award tickets on Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.