Wiki Posts
Search

Bye-bye JetBlue credit card.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Bye-bye JetBlue credit card.

Not sure if this has been posted yet:

(Bloomberg) -- American Express Co., the lender that’s ending its partnership with Costco Wholesale Corp., is also parting ways with JetBlue Airways Corp., according to people with knowledge of the matter.
The airline reached a new credit-card agreement with Barclays Plc and MasterCard Inc., said one of the people, who asked not to be identified because the deal hasn’t been announced. New York-based AmEx, the largest credit-card issuer by purchases, has partnered with JetBlue since 2005.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ays-mastercard
Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: Platinum Card Rewards
I'm not sure if the changes listed below are really going to help Jet blue. I realize the profitable bottom line is the goal that it want's to reach however i'm not sure how making enemies of your customer base is going to help.

The airline also is altering its fare structure this year, including adding a bag-check fee for fliers buying the cheapest tickets. The three fare classes will give customers the choice of getting the lowest price with no free bag or paying more for fares that would have one or two pieces of luggage included, the airline said in November.

JetBlue also plans to begin adding seats to some of its Airbus A320 jets in 2016. The seats and the fare change are designed to boost sales after the carrier trailed competitors in revenue from each seat flown a mile, an industry benchmark, and failing to hit return-on-invested-capital targets.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
B6 is large, but not that large.

It won't hit AMEX as much as Costco.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
I wonder if AmEx is going to try to replace JetBlue with another airline.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
I wonder if AmEx is going to try to replace JetBlue with another airline.
Who would be available though? AA and Citi are married, as are UA and Chase. IMO the only remaining worthwhile one is AS.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Who would be available though? AA and Citi are married, as are UA and Chase. IMO the only remaining worthwhile one is AS.
When does AS's contract with BoA end?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NYCRuss
No idea. I was just throwing out worthwhile airlines. Not sure how many banks are frothing at the mouth wishing they had Spirit or Frontier.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:54 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
No idea. I was just throwing out worthwhile airlines. Not sure how many banks are frothing at the mouth wishing they had Spirit or Frontier.
Well, even with those... BofA has Spirit and Barclays has Frontier ;-)
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:53 am

They still have Delta....
Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Interesting for multiple reasons:
1) I was thinking of dropping my JB Card, as they don't fly to that many places, and I have limited income to be spending enough to justify five FF programs (also DL, WN, UA, AA).
2) Barclays doesn't want to give me a third card, so now I would end up with 3 Barclays accounts. Wonder what they might do to me, such as, lower my CL on JetBlue? Truth is I was also considering closing both of my Barclays cards, as they are not reward cards. I was using these cards for their 0% interest.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I think American Express, Chase and Citi will have difficulty attracting secondary domestic airline partners. Why would a smaller airline choose a card issuer that is partnered with AA, DL or UA? (Yes, I think this means WN will leave Chase.)

We will have to see the official announcement to know if JetBlue will also leave Membership Rewards. I expect they will, but because Barclays does not have a multi-partner transfer card product to replace it, there is the possibility that JetBlue will become a transfer partner for another program.

I expect American Express will go after the British Airways co-branded contract for the USA and some other countries. They are the issuer in BA's home market, and I think this gives them a very good opportunity to displace Chase, which does not issue cards in the UK.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: Alaska & Hyatt
Originally Posted by NYCRuss
I like AS & BoA together....
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
I was thinking (really hoping ) that AmEx would go after an international airline that doesn't have a US-based credit card (Flying Blue, for example).

Originally Posted by mia
I expect American Express will go after the British Airways co-branded contract for the USA and some other countries. They are the issuer in BA's home market, and I think this gives them a very good opportunity to displace Chase, which does not issue cards in the UK.
I hope the 1.25 miles per $ spent would stay if they did that, although I'm not sure that it would.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mia
I think American Express, Chase and Citi will have difficulty attracting secondary domestic airline partners. Why would a smaller airline choose a card issuer that is partnered with AA, DL or UA? (Yes, I think this means WN will leave Chase.)
I agree.

A perfect example is VX - Switching from Barclays to Comenity Capital Bank (WTH is this bank??).

As an apparent LCC, WN will eventually leave Chase due to the cost and competition with UA, just like Costco. It is only a matter of when.

Originally Posted by mia
It may be easier if AMEX can convince CX to introduce cards in the U.S. As a major foreign airlines in the U.S., CX has no credit card in the U.S. (but only transfer program via AMEX MR).
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Jetblue never turned out to be that big a partner. This is a loss, but really, it is not that big a loss.

I seriously doubt that American Express has any cobrand card poaching in the works, at least none of the big cobrands. The cobrand market has changed radically. The cobrand cc market is not nearly as profitable as it was a few years ago. AmEx has made it pretty clear that they think there are other things to invest in that have more potential.

Originally Posted by garykung

As an apparent LCC, WN will eventually leave Chase due to the cost and competition with UA, just like Costco. It is only a matter of when.
I'll believe it when I see it. Remember, WN tore up their FF program just 4 years ago, to put in a new one. One that is a huge benefit to Chase, not the customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.