Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Costco and Amex terminate U.S.A. agreement eff June, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Official information from American Express:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/program-update/

If you cancel your account on or prior to June 16, 2016, your account will not be transferred to Citi, even if you have already received the new card from Citi.
Official information from Citi:

http://citi.com/WelcomeCostco

FT thread on new Citi Costco Anywhere Visa card:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...post-64-a.html

Official transition information from Costco:

https://customerservice.costco.com/s...nd-Credit-Card
Print Wikipost

Costco and Amex terminate U.S.A. agreement eff June, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by leng
Does anyone know if cash back will earned between March->June? Or should we stop using this card now?
Since your card will be transferred to Citi, your CB will be transferred at the same time as well.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by sfo3388
Hi,

I already have several visa cards. After reading this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...stco-visa.html ,
I don't think I need another one.

I am thinking about cancelling my Costco/AMEX as soon as I get the rebate check this month. Would it prevent Citi from sending me a new Costco/Visa card?

Another question. Anybody has been able to convert Costco/AMEX to other kind of AX credit card? This is to keep the credit history. Thanks.
I spoke to Amex today about the Costco Amex. I was told that you can convert to Blue Cash Everyday as a pre-approved offer with no hard inquiry. The age and credit history would remain intact,but the credit line could change,based on current score and Amex history only.

I was also told that the Amex will be closed if it's not changed to a different Amex product and it would be up to Citi to offer the Visa to Costco customers.

As always, YMMV-who knows if the Amex reps are being given accurate information.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
This is a good thing. Especially since Costco Amex card is my 2nd to oldest card and I can't imagine how it's going to affect my credit score.
From an AAoA perspective there won't be much immediate impact. Primary impact would be due to how it changes your revolving utilization. Your AAoA would be reduced ~10 years later when the closed account drops off your reports.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by freeflyin
I spoke to Amex today about the Costco Amex. I was told that you can convert to Blue Cash Everyday as a pre-approved offer with no hard inquiry. The age and credit history would remain intact,but the credit line could change,based on current score and Amex history only.
Yes, it is true. The only change that I have is the APR. The APR of my TrueEarning card is way below as advertised.

I was also told that the Amex will be closed if it's not changed to a different Amex product and it would be up to Citi to offer the Visa to Costco customers.
Does not seem this is the case.

TrueEarning is not a changeable product per my experience. If AMEX is allowed to retain all TrueEarning cardmembers, an automatic conversion (TrueEarning>BCE) is definitely more efficient than giving out (truly) preapproved offers. At the same time, AMEX has extended double credit to those accepted the preapproved offer, which is relatively a risky move. All these indicate to me that Citi bought the accounts as well.

But I won't argue that it will be up to Citi to issue a new card.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:02 pm

How do they get your current score without a hard inquiry?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by danielchee
its my understanding that soft pulls also give a numeric score.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:06 am

Why do you think a hard pull is required?

The EX FICO 8 that AmEx provides monthly does not require a hard pull.
My TU FICO 8's from Discover and Barclaycard do not require a hard pull.
My EQ FICO NG2 from PenFed does not require a hard pull.
My EX FICO 8 Bankcard from FNBO does not require a hard pull.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Called Amex to convert my TE card to BCE...was told not possible. I would need to apply for BCE with a credit check. They did offer me to upgrade my Hilton fee free card to Surpass and transfer credit limit from TE card. Hmmm!! I'll sleep on that for now.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by takeshi74
Why do you think a hard pull is required?

The EX FICO 8 that AmEx provides monthly does not require a hard pull.
My TU FICO 8's from Discover and Barclaycard do not require a hard pull.
My EQ FICO NG2 from PenFed does not require a hard pull.
My EX FICO 8 Bankcard from FNBO does not require a hard pull.
Those are values pulled for your use. Consumers can pull as many as they like (whether paid for or via a benefit) without it being marked as a hard pull. I ask how creditors can get that without a hard pull. If there are provisions that creditors can do that without a hard pull then fine but if that's the case, why is a hard pull even necessary for any credit application in the first place?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:23 pm

Those are values pulled for your use. Consumers can pull as many as they like (whether paid for or via a benefit) without it being marked as a hard pull. I ask how creditors can get that without a hard pull. If there are provisions that creditors can do that without a hard pull then fine but if that's the case, why is a hard pull even necessary for any credit application in the first place?
Simple -- hard pulls are for THEIR benefit and the benefit of other lenders. When they do a hard pull it lets everyone know you're sniffing around for more credit. A few here or there isn't any concern to anyone. BUT if you suddenly have a bunch of new hard pulls over a short period of time, especially if you're getting close to your credit limits, you might be sinking in debt and the lenders can decide if they're willing to take you on and under what terms they'd do so.

Unfortunately the system's not perfect. ie: hard pulls from Comcast show up just like ones from Chase do. If I was making lending decisions, the utility pulls don't concern me anywhere near as much as from actual lenders, but the credit scores don't take this into account. Now, many banks have their own special sauce and may weight these differently.

I routinely see soft pulls from the banks I have established relationships with on my credit reports.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
One thing to consider is the extended warranty protection. If I buy a computer now with this card, but don't have the card during the extended warranty time period is the warranty still valid?

I usually buy my laptops at Costco as with their extra year and the American Express extension for another year, I have a warranty for 3 years and that is usually about how long my laptop lasts till I replace it. I have found American Express much easier to deal with on extended warranty issues than buying a warranty through a store.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by holocker
One thing to consider is the extended warranty protection. If I buy a computer now with this card, but don't have the card during the extended warranty time period is the warranty still valid?
No per T&Cs.

It seems that Citi will offer some kind of extended warranty. The main issue is if Citi will include a grandfather provision or not.

I checked the Canadian case. Cap 1 does not seem to grandfather any prior purchase from the AMEX Costco card. However, I am also not sure if Cap 1 did buy all the AMEX Costco accounts as well.

I usually buy my laptops at Costco as with their extra year and the American Express extension for another year, I have a warranty for 3 years and that is usually about how long my laptop lasts till I replace it. I have found American Express much easier to deal with on extended warranty issues than buying a warranty through a store.
Do you have another AMEX card? If so, use that one.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:04 pm

Extended warranty typically extends the manufacturer's warranty, but Costco's second year is not from the manufacturer.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by wripro
Is Amex still being accepted in Costco stores until March?
June.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...bank/81101748/
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
https://customerservice.costco.com/s...nd-Credit-Card

June 20 is D-Day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.