New Amex website - again?!

Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
New Amex website - again?!

I logged in for the first time in over a week to see something annoying - yet another new web site layout that is more annoying than the one it replaced, IMO. I really dislike how much of a PITA it is to go through Amex Offers now.

Anybody else getting this, or is there a master thread I missed?

Last edited by mia; Feb 10, 2015 at 4:40 pm Reason: Remove broken link to image.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:25 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
The new re-design is awful. Complicated, non-intuitive and it lacks any simplicity for quickly finding what you need. Horrible step backwards for looking at offers.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:52 am

This launched in UK months ago (Oct i think)
looks good to me - changes are always strange at first
you'll get used to it
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:30 am

Left to right scrolling of Amex offers - horrible on iPad too.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:53 am

Can't see your pic, but I've had those left/right scrolling offers for a few months now and I agree it's a stupid design decision.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I think it has become fashionable to make sites touch-friendly by using larger elements, and that this is American Express' attempt. I expect we will see more of this as other issuers update their sites.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:48 pm

My comments on the new website are all negative.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:22 pm

I wish they'd leave it alone. The large fonts and hidden everything are obnoxious.

I wonder how long before they decide to change their logo. The #1 sign of bad management / a company going downhill is changing their logo.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
The new website is terrible. It border on being unusable. The scrolling offers are stupid - difficult to use on a desktop or a tablet. Everything is buried in menus - which are not intuitive. Finally, the design of the page changes depending on what information you are viewing. I can't begin to predict the motivation here, but it certainly does not feel premium or well thought out.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
I think it has become fashionable to make sites touch-friendly by using larger elements, and that this is American Express' attempt. I expect we will see more of this as other issuers update their sites.
I've noticed other websites like CNN and Bloomberg abandon their previously usable website designs for this too.

I like how Chase hasn't really changed their website in the 7-8ish years I've been using them. Things are still in the same place, and it's still very much function over trying to look pretty.

I'm on the website now and it says I have 8 pending transactions but I can only view a maximum of 6 from the front page. To view all 8 I have to view all activity, and then change tabs. This site sucks.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 9:38 pm

As annoying as this is, it's nowhere near as bad as the glacially slow FHR site that I can't even use on my iPad be it requires Flash.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I liked the previous version better too.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Cardboard55
As annoying as this is, it's nowhere near as bad as the glacially slow FHR site that I can't even use on my iPad be it requires Flash.
This matches my point. Why does the site design change every time I change purpose? I would fully support a redesign of the travel and FHR sites!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Not a fan either. Has the same chunky, awkward, minimalist feel as the new(ish) Chase Ulitmate Rewards Mall.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:10 pm

I do think its a bit clunky and ugly, luckily dont have to log in too often. They must have too much money updating it all the time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.