Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does Amex Android app not have push notifications for alerts ?

Does Amex Android app not have push notifications for alerts ?

Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:43 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Question Does Amex Android app not have push notifications for alerts ?

Chase gives you options to enable email and push for various account-related events, via both the website and the mobile app.

Unless I'm looking in the wrong places, I can't find any way to enable push notifications for my Amex accounts. Anyone else missing this functionality?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
Yes they do it's under preferences. Card not present transactions. Large purchases. Foreign transactions. Etc.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:19 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There is more than one version of americanexpress.com, but for my personal cards this sequence works:

• americanexpress.com
  • login
  • Update Contact Information
  • Account Alerts
  • Manage Account Alerts

There are several categories of Alerts. Be sure to scroll down to click [Save] before leaving the page.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
Chase gives you options to enable email and push for various account-related events, via both the website and the mobile app.

Unless I'm looking in the wrong places, I can't find any way to enable push notifications for my Amex accounts. Anyone else missing this functionality?
Amex iPhone has push notifications settings in the app.
Menu -> Settings -> Push Notifications -> Manage Settings
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks folks, will have a look.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
There is more than one version of americanexpress.com, but for my personal cards this sequence works:

• americanexpress.com
  • login
  • Update Contact Information
  • Account Alerts
  • Manage Account Alerts

There are several categories of Alerts. Be sure to scroll down to click [Save] before leaving the page.
Yea I was looking under "manage account alerts" on the website, yet I only have checkbox options for email or text, not push.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onehitrenegade
Amex iPhone has push notifications settings in the app.
Menu -> Settings -> Push Notifications -> Manage Settings
On my Android, there is a "notifications" area and settings for each card. For the Platinum and PRG, the only option available is "use points opportunities" for using points as charges. For the Delta Platinum, no alert options. Weird.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I get a form of "Push Notifications" by having AmEx text the alerts to my Google Voice number (AmEx texting to GV finally works now!). GV is my preferred text application as it's cross-platform (all my phones and tablets and via a browser) and is IP-based (so it works when I'm outside the US or my phone's coverage area).
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:47 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
... I only have checkbox options for email or text, not push.
Apparently there is a technical distinction between an email or text message which is pushed to my phone by American Express, and the type of alert you have in mind. Please explain how it differs, and why you prefer it.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I meant push as in via the Amex Android app. A simple sound notification to signify that an event occurred on the account. The same way FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc generate alerts. Don't like cluttering up my email and text inboxes with stuff I don't need stored. I like the way the Chase app handles this.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. AA Plat. UA Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Apparently there is a technical distinction between an email or text message which is pushed to my phone by American Express, and the type of alert you have in mind. Please explain how it differs, and why you prefer it.
Push notifications generally involve a message being sent directly to the American Express application installed on the device. This enables a few features that email or SMS cannot including:
  1. Acknowledging the notification will open the Amex app (not an Amex website) and in some cases take you directly to the relevant transaction in the app (if enabled by Amex).
  2. Push doesn't rely on the email or mobile number that Amex has on file for you, it's only necessity is that the app is installed. Handy when traveling and using foreign sim cards or if the email you use with Amex isn't on your phone.
  3. Push is generally immediate, when compared with email, which depending on your email settings, can be received with some delay which could be problematic for alerts about 'suspicious' activity, especially if you're abroad using a different number and the only contact mechanism that Amex can reach you by is email.

It should also be noted that Amex does support Push, especially via Apple Pay on iPhones. I have my Amex cards enabled for ApplePay and whenever I use my Amex card for a purchase, whether via tapping my phone to pay or swiping my physical card, I get a push notification to my iPhone 6 with the merchant and transaction amount.

This is actually much better than Citi or Chase which only send alerts to ApplePay if you use ApplePay to tap to pay.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: Platinum Card Rewards
I agree with Islandguy84.

Since I set up Apple Pay on my iPhone all my Amex transactions show up. Also additional recent transactions show up if I tap the info button in Passbook.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:22 am
mia

Instructions for enabling iOS and Android push Notifications:

To review or update your contact information and enroll in SMS (Mobile Messaging) alerts, follow these steps:

Once logged in, click on Profile Information
Click on the + sign to See Details or Edit to update your information

To enable Push Notifications in your mobile app, follow these steps:

iPhone - Initial Enrollment
Download/Update latest Amex App from App store
Select I Agree in End User Agreement
Click OK to the Notifications pre-consent
Click OK to the Push Notifications consent

iPhone - Reenroll
Go to Settings, then Notifications,select Amex
Turn Notification Center ‘On’
Select either Banner or Alerts in Alerts Style
Log on to Amex app. Enrollment will NOT be updated unless you login.

Android - Initial Enrollment
Download/Update latest Amex App from App store
Select I Agree in End User Agreement
Log on to your account
Select Agree in Push Notifications consent

Android - Reenroll
Log on to Amex App
Go to More Mobile Services
Go to Push Notification Settings

Last edited by mia; Feb 13, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:13 pm

I can confirm the Android app has push notifications -- I received a fraud alert last year via it with a confirm/deny option.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
If i enable push alerts but disable text alerts for fraud would american express send me push alerts via ios app as frequently as text fraud alerts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.