Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Unspecified new benefits for USA AMEX personal Platinum coming Spring 2015?

Unspecified new benefits for USA AMEX personal Platinum coming Spring 2015?

Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
Essentially you want the Platinum Card for free? Will not happen.
I already got it for free in 2014. I paid $450, I got $100 Global Entry, $200 airline gift cards in 2014, and $200 airline gift cards in Jan 2015. Then I cancelled the card and still got a partial refund of $150. So AMEX actually paid me $150 just to take the card. I don't even need to mention the 100k MR bonus that I was targeted for.

However, in order to keep the card past 1 year, the current benefits are not satisfactory. Many, many, many people will do exactly as I did with the card, and then cancel. It's in AMEX's best interest to improve the card benefits so people don't cancel so easily.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by mia
What annual fee would you pay for the card if they were to do this?
I would be willing to pay more if these features were introduced. I only had this idea as I read on another thread about the Merrill Lynch Octave Card which offers "$350 travel credit or Delta Lounge membership". The perk would be nice for the card members to choose an additional lounge that fits their travel needs.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:03 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TMM1982
It's in AMEX's best interest to improve the card benefits so people don't cancel so easily.
Agreed, but it is not in their interest to buy you a ~$500 airline club membership every year if you are paying only $450 for the card. A case could be made for offering this as a Centurion benefit.

American Express did trial this idea, buying US Airways club memberships for targeted Platinum cardholders, which (at the time) also gave them access to UA clubs. It would be different if American Express could buy the memberships at a substantial discount, but AA's partnership with Citi, and UA's partnership with Chase would seem to preclude this.

American Express, like any business, is content to lose unprofitable customers. I do not think we will see any material change in lounge access benefits, and I expect the $200 airline fee reimbursement benefit to be eliminated when the Centurion lounge network is built out. I think it needs to be much larger, and I am puzzled that no additional locations have been announced.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by mia
I do not think we will see any material change in lounge access benefits, and I expect the $200 airline fee reimbursement benefit to be eliminated when the Centurion lounge network is built out. I think it needs to be much larger, and I am puzzled that no additional locations have been announced.
I would love to see the Centurion lounges expanded as well. Even more studio locations just so there is something in other major airports.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia
American Express, like any business, is content to lose unprofitable customers. I do not think we will see any material change in lounge access benefits, and I expect the $200 airline fee reimbursement benefit to be eliminated when the Centurion lounge network is built out. I think it needs to be much larger, and I am puzzled that no additional locations have been announced.
That makes a lot of sense. Lounge access is the most attractive benefit of the card. Building the Centurion Lounge will take a substantial investment on their part, hence eventually eliminating the $200 reimbursement may be necessary to pay for it. Many in the FT forums state that they would only keep their card if they can continue to reap substantially more money than the AF paid. That may be good for us, but does not make good business sense for Amex. If a company becomes unprofitable, it may one day be unable to provide its customers with any benefits. I've been to the Centurion Lounge in Dallas. I want Amex around for a long time to come, and I want them to build many more of these lounges, as they are superior to their competition.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 3:51 am

Having a fancy lounge in part of the airport from where I may or not be flying from isn't interesting for me. Also, the Boingo internet subscription doesn't make sense, when (1) it doesn't always work and (2) free internet is becoming commonplace, including overseas.

If I pay 450 USD a year for a card, I want, real, complementary upgrades for travel, including with hotels, airlines, and auto rentals.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
Having a fancy lounge in part of the airport from where I may or not be flying from isn't interesting for me. Also, the Boingo internet subscription doesn't make sense, when (1) it doesn't always work and (2) free internet is becoming commonplace, including overseas.

If I pay 450 USD a year for a card, I want, real, complementary upgrades for travel, including with hotels, airlines, and auto rentals.
Not every card benefit (AMEX Platinum or not) makes sense to anyone. It is up to you to decide if the card fits you.

BTW - AMEX Platinum does come with "real, complementary upgrades for travel" except for airlines:

Hotel - You can get upgraded room if you book a qualified hotel through FHR. Also, the complimentary SPG Gold status will get you free upgrade at a SPG facility (except aloft).

All upgrades are based on availabilities.

Auto - Complimentary National Executive status can get you a confirmed upgrade (you book a higher class car but pay a lower rental cost).
Old Feb 15, 2015, 5:21 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
No way airlines will essentially sell status for their share of a $450 annual fee.

Airlines often sell a single upgrade for more than that.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, FB Silver, BA Silver, AMB PC Plat Amb, CX Gold, Hertz 5*,HH Gold,AClub Plat
Originally Posted by JohnRain
Thanks for correcting me, Astaroth. I meant "Continental Europe"...
HH Gold is certainly more useful than Club Carlson or Accor, but I was comparing it to the more upscale chains. SPG Platinum or Hyatt Diamond are both so much better than HH Diamond in my opinion, a shame that the former was stripped years ago and that the latter was never part of the benefit portfolio.
NL Plat also does not have HH Gold.

Only:
Club Carlson Gold
Le Club Accorhotels Plat
SPG Gold
Old Feb 15, 2015, 4:24 pm

Is the new benefit going to be find where will now be Amex accepted?
<<Unspecified new benefits for USA AMEX personal Platinum coming Spring 2015?>>
Old Feb 15, 2015, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
Is the new benefit going to be find where will now be Amex accepted?
What?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by TMM1982
However, in order to keep the card past 1 year, the current benefits are not satisfactory. Many, many, many people will do exactly as I did with the card, and then cancel. It's in AMEX's best interest to improve the card benefits so people don't cancel so easily.
The total number of Platinum cardholders grows nearly 10%/year. I'd surmise that many, many, many people do not do exactly as you did. Plus, with the new once in a lifetime signup bonus, they'd be fools if they did.

I have no idea what new benefits AmEx is going to add to the Platinum AmEx, but it is hardly an unpopular card as it stands now.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I wish I knew what the benefits are. I have been considering getting Platinum Card for a long time.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by cfabar1
I wish I knew what the benefits are. I have been considering getting Platinum Card for a long time.
If you travel a lot and are as wealthy as some FT posters then it's a no brainer - apply. If you are in my shoes then go to this link: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...DUAL_Benefits2
Calculate exactly how much benefit you will receive on an annual basis to see if it justifies $450 AF. Make sure you are measuring benefits you do not already have with another card. I only fly in May, June, July, and August because all my travel is leisure and fits around my job schedule. I manage to reap more than the annual fee every year thus far. Some posters allude to expecting at least double their money back. That is no longer probable unless you are using some of the most upscale benefits, such as the limousine, cruise, and private jet benefits. If you are into simplicity and spend enough you may prefer a card, such as, Barclays Arrival Plus. Finally, 1) consider the $200 reimbursement puts the annual fee down to $250 before you look at the other benefits. I buy AA gift cards or UA gift registry with the $200 every year and am always reimbursed. 2) The GE fee of $100 is reimbursed, which is $20 a year. Now you need to find another $230.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jn in ca
The total number of Platinum cardholders grows nearly 10%/year. I'd surmise that many, many, many people do not do exactly as you did. Plus, with the new once in a lifetime signup bonus, they'd be fools if they did.

I have no idea what new benefits AmEx is going to add to the Platinum AmEx, but it is hardly an unpopular card as it stands now.
The once in a lifetime signup bonus has no bearing on the decision to cancel.

In fact, everyone should always cancel the card every year. And here is why?

The first year you have the card, you can double dip on the calendar $200 airline award. After the first year, you cannot. So rather than keep the card and only get the $200, you should cancel. And then re-open in a month, and again double dip the $200 airline bonus. Eventhough you won't get any more MR points, you're still getting $200 x 2.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.