Can I buy MR points?

Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Can I buy MR points?

There are several references online to being able to buy points, but I can't find any option to do so.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Points can be purchased, but only if you do not have enough for a redemption. For example, if you try to transfer 50,000 points to an airline, but have only 20,000, you would be able to purchase and transfer the additional 30,000. It's explained here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...ns-06.2022.pdf

See page 3,
SpaethCo likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 12:22 pm

There are occasionally opportunities to acquire points at decent prices through the Amex/Rakuten partnership. A recent example was 90 MR/$ from rakuten + 5 MR/$ from Amex offers for a norton lifelock subscription. Rakuten points are only transferred to amex quarterly so it may not be helpful for a time sensitive redemption.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 12:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by desafino
There are occasionally opportunities to acquire points at decent prices through the Amex/Rakuten partnership. A recent example was 90 MR/$ from rakuten + 5 MR/$ from Amex offers for a norton lifelock subscription. Rakuten points are only transferred to amex quarterly so it may not be helpful for a time sensitive redemption.
Great to know thanks.

The purchase price doesn't make sense for the large chunk of Hilton points I require but it certainly does for some flights to Asia.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
have only 20,000, you would be able to purchase and transfer the additional ,
so you could say 520,000 and then purchase 500,000 ?
best when there is transfer bonus
Old Sep 6, 2022, 10:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I wonder if you can start with zero, and buy the necessary points.

It seems you're paying what is effectively the highest rate swipe percentage they would get anyway so not a loss to AMEX, in fact, I would think the only reason to limit them at all is to maintain integrity of the program to keep their redemption partners on board.

Last edited by Ghoulish; Sep 6, 2022 at 11:01 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.