Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why do Centurion lounges require boarding pass for entry?

Why do Centurion lounges require boarding pass for entry?

Old Apr 21, 17, 9:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ethan76 View Post
I was flying from IAH to MSY and purchased last min. The only seating left where Y+ which I wasn't going to pay for on such a short hop, besides it would be free at the gate.

However because I lacked a seat number on my boarding pass I was denied enter to the Centurion in IAH. I was not traveling stand by, it was a confirmed seat, just unassigned. but was told to "buy another ticket to any place with a seat and then refund it after you are inside".

Has anyone else experienced this?
Last week I was in Las Vegas. Flying Delta. The boarding pass indicated Seat assignment to be issued at gate. (Sorry don't remember exact terminology using on the boarding pass).

No problem getting into the AMEX lounge.
Old May 7, 17, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by SFO 1K View Post
I have to agree with this. It was absolutely insane on Thursday. While waiting for the shower I sat by the reception desk. I saw a couple people come in with six folks (two cardholders) and a couple of rather entitled guys who flashed their card and tried to just waltz in with two guests each. They were "inconvenienced" being asked for ID and boarding passes. Not sure if part of this is the Bay Area culture with all the tech workers or it happens network wide.

in fairness to them, SFO and LAX are the only lounges that ask for bordering passes. That said, they all scan my platinum card.
Old May 7, 17, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by WearyTravellerMSP View Post
in fairness to them, SFO and LAX are the only lounges that ask for bordering passes. That said, they all scan my platinum card.
LAX??

Also: Access to The Centurion Lounge is complimentary for global Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members. To access The Centurion Lounge, the Card Member must present The Centurion Lounge agent with the following upon each visit: his or her valid Card, a boarding pass showing a confirmed reservation for same-day travel on any carrier and a government-issued I.D.
Old May 7, 17, 6:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, AS 75K, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt Ist-iest
Huh? There isn't even a Centurion Lounge at LAX... Which CLs have you been to?

They ask for my boarding pass at every Centurion Lounge. One time entering the LGA one I didn't have my BP (flew in on Southwest and they took the paper one at boarding as usual and I didn't have it on my phone) . I offered to show them the eticket in my email, and upon seeing that let me in.
Old May 8, 17, 4:41 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I've never not been asked for a boarding pass at any of the lounges.
Old May 8, 17, 9:26 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
Pretty weird how inconsistent they are. I've been asked for BP every visit and it is scanned as well. I've been to DFW, IAH, LGA, LAS, and SFO. I'm at SFO every week and the staff know me. However, they still ask/scan.
Old May 8, 17, 3:36 pm

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
Pretty weird how inconsistent they are. I've been asked for BP every visit and it is scanned as well. I've been to DFW, IAH, LGA, LAS, and SFO. I'm at SFO every week and the staff know me. However, they still ask/scan.
I have had the same experiences. I'm at SFO and LAS every week or two. All of the staff at the front desk know me, but they still check my boarding pass every time.
Old May 8, 17, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
BP checked every time at dozens of visits at many locations. Including SYD and EZE.
Old May 6, 18, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Read thru the threads and it seems as though historically using the lounge for arrivals day access is fine.
Wanted to confirm that was still true.
Meaning if I go from SFO-LAS that upon arrival in LAS I can still use the Centurion LAS lounge same day?
Any recent experiences?
Old May 6, 18, 6:58 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mrkymark View Post
Read thru the threads and it seems as though historically using the lounge for arrivals day access is fine.
Wanted to confirm that was still true.
Meaning if I go from SFO-LAS that upon arrival in LAS I can still use the Centurion LAS lounge same day?
Any recent experiences?
I used SFO and SEA both on arrival recently to freshen up and grab a bite before some meetings.
Old May 6, 18, 8:59 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
Same.

Originally Posted by mrkymark View Post
Any recent experiences?
Yes, I've done this many times (although specifically for LAS it was a few months ago).
Old May 12, 20, 3:19 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite
Relaxing on access requirements?

Does anyone foresee AMEX relaxing the access rules when the lounges opening back up since there is expected to be significantly less travel demand for the foreseeable future?
I fly stand-by a bit and not being able to access the Centurion Lounge is the single biggest issue that is holding me back from upgrading from Gold to Platinum. I really wish they'd change this rule.
Old May 12, 20, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ChristopherJN View Post
Does anyone foresee AMEX relaxing the access rules when the lounges opening back up since there is expected to be significantly less travel demand for the foreseeable future?
I fly stand-by a bit and not being able to access the Centurion Lounge is the single biggest issue that is holding me back from upgrading from Gold to Platinum. I really wish they'd change this rule.
I’d rather hope they will use decreased travel volume to allow for more physical separation.
mia likes this.
Old May 13, 20, 8:34 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by ChristopherJN View Post
Can't imagine that they will. The core issue that airline employees who work at the airport are able to generate a standby boarding pass cheaply and easily at any time, and could thus go into the Centurion Lounge to eat lunch daily and cost Amex a lot of money, will remain a constraint for Amex.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: