Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why do Centurion lounges require boarding pass for entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do Centurion lounges require boarding pass for entry?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:54 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by adambadam
Flying to MIA in the case I am proposing.
D'oh. I thought this was the SFO thread…
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Seems like you can access as an arrivals lounge but I have a slight twist. Anyone ever tried to get in as an arrival lounge following a red eye? So your flight departed the night before, you arrive the following morning, no connecting flight but want to freshen up/nosh before you leave the airport. Any luck?
I am also wondering about arriving on an SFO-DFW redeye around 5am - anybody think I would have any trouble entering the CL? And when do the spa services begin? I didn't see any spa hours listed on the webpage.

Thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:02 pm

Amex Plat/ Centurion Lounge

I was reading the terms to get into the Centurion Lounge, it does not allow for people who have standby tickets. I work in the airline industry so that would not work for me. If I purchased a fully refundable ticket for same day and had boarding card and then cancelled after I get in would that work? Do they scan the boarding cards or just view them?

Also, is that the same for the global lounge collection? Do you need to have a confirmed ticket or will a standby ticket work? I have my airlines club membership through a credit card and it allows me to get in with standby tickets.

Thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2016, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I think there are some long threads about showing boarding pass to get into the lounge. And also something about airline employees.

Do not show or indicate you are an airline employee.

Yes, you could buy a fully refundable ticket and then refund it. Not exactly "kosher", but Amex is not going top know - unless of course you do it with your Amex card - LOL!

On a recent visit, we did not have a boarding card as we flew SW and they took it from us when we boarded. No problem. YMMV (Vegas)
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:48 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I've had United's version of a standby ticket "Departure Management Card" (or something like that) and they didn't blink twice. (Vegas).
Old Dec 27, 2016, 4:32 am

The SFO lounge won't accept DM cards or "standby boarding passes." I've seen countless people get rejected at the front desk for this reason.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:46 am

But also, do you know if I will be able to use a standby ticket at the priority lounges.. or does it depend on who is operating the lounge?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Wyfind
The SFO lounge won't accept DM cards or "standby boarding passes." I've seen countless people get rejected at the front desk for this reason.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:23 pm

Denied entry because flight had departed

Interesting data point:

Today I visited the SEA CT. I left the lounge, changed my mind about taking the flight, and when I tried to re-enter was denied entry because the time on my flight had already departed.

The receptionist explained it was because I basically didn't have a valid same-day boarding pass.

I was surprised given the reports of people using the lounges on arrival.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by mrdeke
Interesting data point:

Today I visited the SEA CT. I left the lounge, changed my mind about taking the flight, and when I tried to re-enter was denied entry because the time on my flight had already departed.

The receptionist explained it was because I basically didn't have a valid same-day boarding pass.

I was surprised given the reports of people using the lounges on arrival.
I have several times when arriving on United, went up to the lounge for a drink while I wait for my ride. Maybe it's because my boarding pass shows arriving at SFO rather than a past departure?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Seems like you can access as an arrivals lounge but I have a slight twist. Anyone ever tried to get in as an arrival lounge following a red eye? So your flight departed the night before, you arrive the following morning, no connecting flight but want to freshen up/nosh before you leave the airport. Any luck?
Have done the ANC-LAS redeye several times with no problems on entry.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by beckoa
Have done the ANC-LAS redeye several times with no problems on entry.
DFW always grants access when arriving DFW. I do this when my wife's incoming is flight is semi-close to my arrival time.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
No seat assignment, No Centurion Lounge access?

I was flying from IAH to MSY and purchased last min. The only seating left where Y+ which I wasn't going to pay for on such a short hop, besides it would be free at the gate.

However because I lacked a seat number on my boarding pass I was denied enter to the Centurion in IAH. I was not traveling stand by, it was a confirmed seat, just unassigned. but was told to "buy another ticket to any place with a seat and then refund it after you are inside".

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Ridiculous, if that's the actual rule. It would not surprise me if the actual rule is that they want to differentiate between people that just have gate passes (either are standby, or perhaps not even flying that day but have a TSA pass that looks like a boarding pass), and their implementation of that rule doesn't take into account people with confirmed space but not seat assignment.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Perhaps also to block access to employees/crew/"buddy pass" travelers who have to travel standby....

Given that these lounges are not airline-operated, and that the front desk staff are not going to be familiar with the intricacies of each and every airline's policies for standby, employee travel, etc., my guess is they just decided to have a rule across the board that only confirmed travel with confirmed seat assignments (on any airline) would allow access. Simple, straightforward, not subject to interpretation.

But I agree that it is does cause a problem for last-minute purchasers. (If you are going to stand by for an earlier flight, make sure you keep the original confirmed boarding pass with seat assignment to show at the lounge entrance!)
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ethan76
However because I lacked a seat number on my boarding pass I was denied enter to the Centurion in IAH. I was not traveling stand by, it was a confirmed seat, just unassigned. but was told to "buy another ticket to any place with a seat and then refund it after you are inside".
As far as I know, speculative bookings (tickets you buy but don't intend to use) that "consume" inventory are not allowed by many airlines. So is Amex advising its customers to violate the airline CoCs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.