Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion
Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Given that the original plan for the Centurion lounges was to be free for Centurion Cardmembers and paid entry for Platinums, it seems it will soon be one of two choices for Amex:
1. Increase the size of the lounges to handle what seems like an ever more typical over-crowding scenario.
OR
2. Revert back to the original plan of charging Platinums for daily visits.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by TravelStar
Given that the original plan for the Centurion lounges was to be free for Centurion Cardmembers and paid entry for Platinums, it seems it will soon be one of two choices for Amex:
1. Increase the size of the lounges to handle what seems like an ever more typical over-crowding scenario.
OR
2. Revert back to the original plan of charging Platinums for daily visits.
I think they just need to open more of them. Start charging Platinums for entry and I would expect serious attrition in the ranks. I suppose they could split the difference and stop letting AUs in. That would help. When I was in the SFO lounge a few weeks ago I was stunned by how many college-age kids were in there.
ZJ3000 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:28 pm

The more they chip away at the AU benefits, the harder it would get to convince people to PAY for an AU unlike most other cards. But yeah, it does seem like something needs to be done.
ZJ3000 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by taliesin
I think they just need to open more of them. Start charging Platinums for entry and I would expect serious attrition in the ranks. I suppose they could split the difference and stop letting AUs in. That would help. When I was in the SFO lounge a few weeks ago I was stunned by how many college-age kids were in there.
Another Possibility: Amex could restrict Platinums to two free visits to Centurion lounges per year. After that, paid access only. This is how Chase does it with their United Explorer Card for access to United Clubs.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Another Possibility: Amex could restrict Platinums to two free visits to Centurion lounges per year. After that, paid access only. This is how Chase does it with their United Explorer Card for access to United Clubs.
If the Platinum card only had an annual fee of $95 a year, similar to the United Explorer card, then I could perhaps see that.... It would be ridiculous for it to be restricted to two visits when we pay $450/year for the card.
ZJ3000 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

The first Centurion lounge opened in Las Vegas in 2013 and was initially pay for entry for any but Centurion Cardmembers. Here's a quote when the Las Vegas lounge first opened:

"Any eligible American Express Cardmember may purchase a one-day Access Key at the Lounge for $50. If you hold a Centurion Card from American Express, or if you received a promotional mailing with an Access Key, access to The Centurion Lounge is complimentary. Purchase of one-day Access Keys is subject to Lounge capacity."

The Platinum Card annual fee was increased to $450 in 2007. Long before the Centurion Clubs were an idea much less a Platinum benefit.

The lounges were never built or intended to have the type of volume they're seeing. Most have reached capacity and are turning people away at peak times.
b8b and GundamWing01 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
The first Centurion lounge opened in Las Vegas in 2013 and was initially pay for entry for any but Centurion Cardmembers. Here's a quote when the Las Vegas lounge first opened:

"Any eligible American Express Cardmember may purchase a one-day Access Key at the Lounge for $50. If you hold a Centurion Card from American Express, or if you received a promotional mailing with an Access Key, access to The Centurion Lounge is complimentary. Purchase of one-day Access Keys is subject to Lounge capacity."

The Platinum Card annual fee was increased to $450 in 2007. Long before the Centurion Clubs were an idea much less a Platinum benefit.

The lounges were never built or intended to have the type of volume they're seeing. Most have reached capacity and are turning people away at peak times.
Sure but since 2007 the Platinum Card has lost access to Continental, US, and AA clubs. Lounge access was a key benefit of the card back then, and it has now been thoroughly gutted on the domestic front. The Centurion Lounges have become the means by which Amex are trying to redress this.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The compounding issue has been the loss of access to Admirals Clubs which represented a fairly important benefit and component of the (what is for me) C$699 annual Plat card fee, C$499 if one tosses in the annual travel credit. I would certainly not welcome a per visit charge levied on Plats unless there was some offset, something like 12 comp visits a year, then charge. Or comp for those Plats who were Charter Members of that card/program, or Plat cardholders who have been members since the 1970s.

Let's face it, hard to criticize the success of these lounges, given the overall mediocracy of most US airline lounges it's not surprising. And remember that most of those using the DFW lounge have had to endure taking the skytrain around DFW to get to D Terminal.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:59 pm

Centurion Lounge crowding

Recently spoke with someone who manages the SFO lounge...

Says they have ordered furniture to increase capacity. They've run into issues on days with large conferences in town.

They also turn away pay for day access customers on those days and may add text alerts for crowding.

Said the Vegas lounge avoided turning anyone away during CES with extra furniture added there.

But they still have no process for handling people who are turned away.

For example an ideal recovery would be to offer statement credit for purchase of a day pass for another lounge.

That fell on deaf ears.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Wonder how many folks buy day passes? Saw someone with a clear AMEX given a tour in LAS last week- not sure if they indulged or not.

As for more space- what is above the SFO lounge- room to go up?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:05 pm

I was at the DFW lounge a week ago and it was absolutely packed. We couldn't find seating with a table to eat our food, it was so crowded. They really need to figure something out to fix this issue, or I'll just drop my Platinum card and switch back to using airline clubs.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:18 pm

Last DFW and last two LAS same thing....packed with no good seating choices

They are going to need a way to start thinning out the number of people with access (maybe re-introduce some sort of fee for non cents?)

i know i know.....that would be nonsense lol.....i read it
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
DFW lounge is atrocious on many levels. Love LGA.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by bizorbetter
Last DFW and last two LAS same thing....packed with no good seating choices

They are going to need a way to start thinning out the number of people with access (maybe re-introduce some sort of fee for non cents?)

i know i know.....that would be nonsense lol.....i read it
Maybe make the $200 fee credit an either or with Centurion access.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
In DFW now. Crowded, but still able to book a free massage...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.