Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Greetings from the SEA Studio this Saturday morning!

Plenty of seats. Took me a bit to realize that the peanut butter is likely for the pretzel thins; gluten free brownies were kind of dry I'm afraid. Tasty pinot grigio!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Originally Posted by mia
My vague recollection of a previous discussion is that these were City clubs, not in airports.
Back in the early 1990's, AMEX had a Platinum Lounge at Frankfurt Airport. It was airside, not even on the terminal side, but across a jet bridge on a passage way to the Sheraton. It was a very nice lounge with an attentive staff that was ready to provide concierge services. As I remember, there was hardly ever anyone in the club when I visited.

In those days, Platinum really meant something and pre-computer era, the Frankfurt AMEX staff was happy to provide concierge services to non-German Platinum card holders such as those from the U.S. market. I remember calling them and having them send me a list of their German Platinum card benefits such as hotels and restaurants, which I remember using. Now of course, no Plat service will help cardholders outside their regional market. Ah well...
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:30 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by LAXRuss
Now of course, no Plat service will help cardholders outside their regional market. Ah well...
I would agree that is probably true. Centurion RMs and customer service do reach out to the Centurion Team in other markets. Some might consider this a decent benefit depending on how much you value such services.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by radiowell
So... when will HKG make the grand entrance here? From reading the reviews so far, it is just ripe for overcrowding.
If the review posted in another link is correct, the HKG Centurion lounge has implemented a tighter admission policy than the stateside lounges:

Centurion Card members can invite either two guests or their immediate family to accompany them into the lounge at no charge (being a partner or spouse plus children up to 18 years of age, which could be more than two guests), while Platinum cardholders can invite a maximum of two guests regardless of relation.
from https://www.ausbt.com.au/american-ex...tional-airport
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Steve M
If the review posted in another link is correct, the HKG Centurion lounge has implemented a tighter admission policy than the stateside lounges:
That's the same as in the USA. Some time ago, Amex ditched access for >2 guests if they were children of the cardholder.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
That's the same as in the USA....
Discussion:

Centurion Lounge new policy 2 guests ONLY (ends exception for immediate family)

The elimination of day passes for Gold, Green, and credit card holders also applies at all Centurion lounges.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I knew about the day pass elimination, but not the unlimited family members. I guess my "news flash" wasn't all that flashy, now was it?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
I knew about the day pass elimination, but not the unlimited family members. I guess my "news flash" wasn't all that flashy, now was it?
Your oversight suggests that you have a more balanced life than those of us who dwell on these details.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Branding Failure

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Absolute zoo at 11:30am on Thursday (today). Huge queue for food, didn't even try. Wifi down too. Yikes.
Really interesting...the terrible lounge experience may degrade all of Amex's efforts at positioning the Plat and Centurion as elite cards. My my, even the name of the lounge is Centurion: What is the new vision will people have of that name after repeatedly poor experiences in the lounge.

If I were in charge of Amex's branding efforts, I would be putting a call to the new CEO.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:13 pm

Yeah, this is getting to the point where it might hurt the Amex brand. They’ve been selling the lounges pretty hard in the Plat ads. Those who sign up primarily for the lounges might feel like they aren’t getting anything like the lounge experience they expected.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:13 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by dhuey
Yeah, this is getting to the point where it might hurt the Amex brand. They’ve been selling the lounges pretty hard in the Plat ads. Those who sign up primarily for the lounges might feel like they aren’t getting anything like the lounge experience they expected.
What other reason to sign up is there other than the lounges? With Amex's nonexistant travel insurance products and zero bonus spend… what other possible reason is there to have the Plat other than as a shiny metal status symbol.

The Centurion lounges are the only reason I even have the Plat (both business and personal)… otherwise Citi has a much stronger product with the Prestige and the CSR has made a much bigger splash with the CSR. What both of those lack are premium lounges.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:19 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by helvetic
What other reason to sign up is there other than the lounges? With Amex's nonexistant travel insurance products and zero bonus spend… what other possible reason is there to have the Plat other than as a shiny metal status symbol.

The Centurion lounges are the only reason I even have the Plat (both business and personal)… otherwise Citi has a much stronger product with the Prestige and the CSR has made a much bigger splash with the CSR. What both of those lack are premium lounges.
Um, Amex provides rental car insurance, right?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
What other reason to sign up is there other than the lounges? .
Originally Posted by stc
Um, Amex provides rental car insurance, right?
If helvetic's question means, what does American Express Platinum offer that isn't also offered by competing cards, CDW would not be a strong answer. Chase provides primary coverage, American Express does not. (This is truly not the right thread for this topic, and the comparisons are readily available in several other threads.)
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Coverage is secondary unless you pay extra. Other products have primary rental insurance at no additional charge.

I too, only have this card for lounge access and hope to see this improve.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:52 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by mia
If helvetic's question means, what does American Express Platinum offer that isn't also offered by competing cards, CDW would not be a strong answer. Chase provides primary coverage, American Express does not. (This is truly not the right thread for this topic, and the comparisons are readily available in several other threads.)
Yup, I see the lounges as the only differentiator between the personal Plat cards and other competing better cards. The business Plat card has 2cpm MR redemption which is nice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.