Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pallhedge
I had a regular Amex Platinum for over 20 years. When my travel reduced last year, I got the Ameriprise Amex Platinum. One of my AUs visited a Centurion Lounge one time (with one guest).

Bottom line, despite your "logic", I got Ameriprise because of my reduced use of benefits. I'll likely get it again next year for the same reason. If my travel plans pick up, I'd have no issue ponying up the AF.
Not sure why you put scare quotes around the word "logic." Your comment helps to prove my point. You opened the Ameriprise Platinum for the free benefits, and you plan to close the current one and get a new one next year for the same reason.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Not sure why you put scare quotes around the word "logic." Your comment helps to prove my point. You opened the Ameriprise Platinum for the free benefits, and you plan to close the current one and get a new one next year for the same reason.
Now you've changed your "point". Your "logic" wasn't about free benefits in general. Your "logic" specifically proclaimed with no doubt that Ameriprise Amex Platinum cardholders use the Centurion Lounges more frequently than vanilla Platinum cardholders. That's unsubstantiated and, in my specific case, completely false. Your repeated trolling on this topic here and in the Ameriprise thread would indicate that it's less "logic" than some form of axe to grind.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:42 am
Suspended

Now you've changed your "point". Your "logic" wasn't about free benefits in general. Your "logic" specifically proclaimed with no doubt that Ameriprise Amex Platinum cardholders use the Centurion Lounges more frequently than vanilla Platinum cardholders. That's unsubstantiated and, in my specific case, completely false. Your repeated trolling on this topic here and in the Ameriprise thread would indicate that it's less "logic" than some form of axe to grind.
LOL. My point hasn't changed at all and I've done no "trolling on this topic here." It seems like I hit a nerve, though.

My point also isn't "completely false" in your "specific case." You got the Ameriprise for the free benefits for you and your AUs, and you plan to close the current one and get a new one next year to keep the gravy train rolling.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:34 am

As this is the Centurian lounge crowding thread let me add another data point. Wife and I now alternate Ameriprise cards and have had them for 4 years. Have yet to enter a Centurian lounge though we fly a lot. From BDL we use the Escape lounge a lot. On 2 recent international trips all were in J or F so we used Admirals Club., BA lounge, VIP lounge(MAD) and Marco Polo lounge (VCE). We fly J and F because there is a loophole in the Citi AAdvantage card that allows for an infinite churn and we fly on points.
However I just realized we will be flying F from MIA to BDL in December. I think we will hit up the MIA Centurian lounge there in the late afternoon. If it’s crowded I’ll come back here and complain indignantly.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Robl
As this is the Centurian lounge crowding thread let me add another data point. Wife and I now alternate Ameriprise cards and have had them for 4 years. Have yet to enter a Centurian lounge though we fly a lot. From BDL we use the Escape lounge a lot. On 2 recent international trips all were in J or F so we used Admirals Club., BA lounge, VIP lounge(MAD) and Marco Polo lounge (VCE). We fly J and F because there is a loophole in the Citi AAdvantage card that allows for an infinite churn and we fly on points.
However I just realized we will be flying F from MIA to BDL in December. I think we will hit up the MIA Centurian lounge there in the late afternoon. If it’s crowded I’ll come back here and complain indignantly.
This isn't a data point re: Centurion Lounge crowding. Also, it seems odd that you'd go to the effort of closing and reopening a specific credit card each year but not use arguably the main travel benefit of said card. Some people here doth protest too much.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
LOL. My point hasn't changed at all and I've done no "trolling on this topic here."
This was the advice that @mia posted after you trolled the Ameriprise thread with unsubstantiated claims. I'll heed his advice here too.
Originally Posted by mia
If you find a poster intolerable, learn to use the Ignore List -and- then let it go. Silence itself is the most effective way to silence a troublesome poster.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:39 pm
Suspended

This was the advice that @mia posted after you trolled the Ameriprise thread with unsubstantiated claims. I'll heed his advice here too.
You’re ignoring me by announcing, in a different thread, that you’re ignoring me?

LOL. What was that you were saying about “trolling” threads?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of the Centurion Lounge at LGA moved:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...st-2014-a.html
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold

Originally Posted by Robl
​​​​​​We fly J and F because there is a loophole in the Citi AAdvantage card that allows for an infinite churn and we fly on points.
What's the loophole?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I would bet it has to do with mailers where the 24 month open/close terms are not included, so you can continue to open accounts and receive the sign up bonus.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by jvel
I would bet it has to do with mailers where the 24 month open/close terms are not included, so you can continue to open accounts and receive the sign up bonus.
Yes see Wiki here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...-business.html
burr likes this.

Last edited by Robl; Oct 30, 2018 at 9:24 am Reason: wrong link
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Centurion Lounge Access Restrictions (Departing Flights Only, <=3 Hours in Advance)

On my last few visits to the Centurion Lounges in SFO and SEA, the above restrictions were in effect. Amex didn't communicate the changes to cardmembers via e-mail or otherwise. They were inconvenient for me.

Questions:
  • Are these restrictions permanently in effect at popular airports like SFO, SEA, LAS and MIA? I haven't visited when they weren't being enforced. If not, what days and times are the lounges less likely to be restricted?
  • Can you phone individual lounges to get real-time information before schlepping to the lounge?
Thanks....
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Permanently in effect? No. This policy is relatively new, the first mention of it I think was around Memorial Day or 4th of July long weekends. I've seen the signs at DFW as I was exiting when they weren't there as I entered. I've seen the signs exist at my home lounge of IAH. The 3 hour signs were behind the desk like huddled warriors ready to deploy to outside the blue door at a moments notice.

I don't believe there is a way to phone the lounges, or if there is, the phone numbers don't seem to be public knowledge otherwise I'm sure they would have found their way into the respective lounge threads by now.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
....first mention of it I think was around Memorial Day .....
Correct, the reports are scattered across the individual lounge threads, but see HERE. The original restriction was 2 hours before departure, now 3 hours.

Published here: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/faq

Depending on capacity, we may limit lounge access to within 3 hours of boarding pass departure time to ensure that all guests have an exceptional experience.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Yes
I visit this lounge very frequently and I have always seen the sign up since October. I have even spoken with AMEX Platinum Customer Service regarding the 3 hour restriction, and their statement was that the lounge was under the restriction at all hours.

The lounge agents only seem to care so far as to enforce the rule. For example, I attempted to enter the lounge on a Thursday AM and my flight boarding time was 3 hours away, but I was declined because they are strictly enforcing 3 hours prior to departure time. I simply asked if I changed my travel plans to an earlier flight to meet that requirement if I would be permitted entrance, and they confirmed yes. So, I booked a fully refundable ticket to a different destination on a flight with departure at T-2 hours and presented the boarding pass. They scanned it and let me in.

The rule doesn't make as much sense when you consider that they don't remove anyone staying longer than three hours, or if your flight is delayed for any period of time they let you stay with no restrictions.

Last edited by anteater; Dec 6, 2018 at 10:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.