Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by damnyourefine
Can you demonstrate or show as to where cancelling a fully refundable fare is violates an airline's T&Cs?
I actually have no problem with what you did and would gladly do the same thing myself.

But, some (many? all?) airlines do have a clause in the CoC that prohibit the purchase of tickets which one has no intention of flying.

How difficult would it be to generate a fake boarding pass for this purpose? It's not like Amex has access to the airline's system (so they have no way of actually verifying the information on the barcode), and the information encoded in the barcode is minimal. Replacing a digital barcode with a generated one that has "today's" information on it should be trivial -- you could probably write an app that does that in under a day if you know what you're doing.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
FWIW, I did not see the three hour sign at SFO yesterday morning upon arrival from HKG. Nevertheless, I proceeded right past and to the Polaris lounge.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Or maybe Amex should adopt the DL policy of no free guests, pay a per person fee whether they're your spouse or your kid or your friend that you don't like that much anyway. Because the DL policy for Plats isn't "no guests", it's "no guests for free". Big difference.

I don't even bother going to the Amex lounge at SEA if I'm flying DL.
The last time I tried to enter this Seattle club with a Delta boarding pass, they admitted me, but made a hard sell attempt to steer me over to the Delta Club nearby.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by damnyourefine
Can you demonstrate or show as to where cancelling a fully refundable fare is violates an airline's T&Cs?
AA.com’s Conditions of Carriage.

Exploiting fare rules

Reservations made to exploit or circumvent fare and ticket rules are strictly prohibited.
Examples include (but are not limited to):
  • Purchase a ticket without intending to fly all flights to gain lower fares (hidden cities)
  • Buy a ticket without intent to travel, including to gain access to our airport lounges or other facilities
I believe DL does NOT have similar language FWIW, but arguably purchasing a ticket you never intend to fly is still fraudulent.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
FWIW, I did not see the three hour sign at SFO yesterday morning upon arrival from HKG.
It seems to be more of an afternoon/evening thing, from posts I've seen about SFO and DFW. The sign was out when I was at SFO a few hours after you. About 4 pm on Tuesday, had no issue grabbing a seat at the bar.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
The last time I tried to enter this Seattle club with a Delta boarding pass, they admitted me, but made a hard sell attempt to steer me over to the Delta Club nearby.
FWIW I think the SEA SC is vastly superior to the SEA CL. The food is also above average at that SC so had you followed their advice it wouldn't have been an awful thing.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: DL Plat
new centurion access rules

While these rules seem to have been unofficial before they are becoming official:

https://pointsmilesandmartinis.board...140.1547741237

Loss of access on arrival is a huge downgrade for me. Always stop by a lounge when I arrive to use the bathroom and maybe grab an espresso/water.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I don't mind the departure rule. However, getting a quick bite and a drink on arrival was nice. Especially the showers coming off a redeye.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
This a big devaluation. No other way to view it.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by runningformqm
While these rules seem to have been unofficial before...
These rules were not unofficial. Since early December 2018 they were applied when an individual lounge approach capacity. Now, they will apply at all locations and all the time.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by JHake10
I don't mind the departure rule. However, getting a quick bite and a drink on arrival was nice. Especially the showers coming off a redeye.
At first I didn't mind the departure rule because it is fine for departures from your home airport (i.e. you are based in SEA and so you don't need 3 hours at the airport). It becomes a bummer for someone who is stuck on a long layover - and it isn't always the flier's choice. I've been in situations where my the only valid connecting flight (above MCT) was 3+ hours later, but I have also seen people book the longer layovers to save a lot of money, or because it's the only one with award availability.

The arrival rule though, yeah that one hurts all around. I can't imagine that arrival passengers were loitering so long to cause disruption to other passengers, so it must just be cost savings. How many thousands of pax a day not having that coffee, drink, or bite to eat?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Why penalize the actual cardholder with no longer allowing same day, post arrival access? If they either reduced guest access to 1 or only allotted a certain amount of guest passes per year, that would greatly reduce some of the crowding issues.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
.... bummer for someone who is stuck on a long layover....
It sounds as if this has been addressed:

The Centurion Lounge will welcome Platinum Card Members who arrive within 3 hours or less prior to their original scheduled departure time or can provide proof of a connecting flight. Card Members who arrive at the Centurion Lounge as their final destination will no longer be permitted entry.
My reading is that the three hour rule applies to originating passengers, but not to connecting passengers.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mia
It sounds as if this has been addressed:

My reading is that the three hour rule applies to originating passengers, but not to connecting passengers.
Okay, that's totally awesome of Amex to account for connections.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
How can you distinguish between a connecting flight vs. originating flight? Show previous boarding pass?
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.